The lights shine brightest in the dark of night. That’s why late night TV remains such a cornucopia of amazing comedic moments, powerful interviews, and thoughtful political commentary. If you spent 2016 getting an appropriate amount of shut eye, you may have missed some of the greatest TV moments of the year. We’re pleased to make you whole again with this list of our picks for the 10 Best Late Night Moments of 2016:
1. The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Jimmy Fallon and Billy Joel Perform “Beast of Burden”
Fallon kicked off 2016 with a rousing duet of the Rolling Stones classic “Beast of Burden” with iconic singer/songwriter Billy Joel. We’re not too blind to see this clip—over and over again.
2. Late Night With Seth Meyers: “Boston Accent” – The Trailer
Seth Meyers and the “Late Night” team don’t do a ton of sketches, and they do even less digital shorts. This year’s brilliant “Boston Accent” is a sign that that needs to change in 2017. This clip makes us want to drive straight to Worcester then bang a u-ie back over to Taunton, blow donuts in a parking lot and then do 80 on the 95 all the way back to Weymouth.
3. Jimmy Kimmel Live: President Obama Reads “Mean Tweets”
Kimmel’s running bit of having celebrities read mean tweets about themselves reached a new level of amazingly awkward when President Barack Obama confronted his Twitter haters face on.
4. The Daily Show With Trevor Noah: The Tomi Lahren Interview
Noah finally truly showed off his interview chops in this 11 minute throw-down with conservative host Tomi Lahren as she takes on the Black Lives Matter movement.
5. The Graham Norton Show: Carrie Fisher Talks About Her Affair With Harrison Ford
Apparently, he wasn’t such a scruffy looking nerf-herder after all. Carrie Fisher opened up about her torrid three-month affair with Harrison Ford during the filming of the original “Star Wars.”
6. The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Ben Stiller’s Female Viagra Ad
Ben Stiller isn’t just a great actor, he’s a great spokesman—and he proved it with this fake ad for Female Viagra on Fallon.
7. Jimmy Kimmel Live: Morgan Freeman Narrates Pedestrians on Hollywood Boulevard
What looked like everyday folks meandering down Hollywood Boulevard became the most moving scene since “The Shawshank Redemption” finale thanks to some smooth voiceover work from Morgan Freeman.
8. Late Night With Seth Meyers: Seth and Leslie Jones Watch “Game of Thrones”
Just when we thought “Game of Thrones” couldn’t get any more enthralling, we learned what it would be like to watch it while sitting next to Leslie Jones. We hope winter never comes. We’re happy right here.
9. The Daily Show With Trevor Noah: Consuming News from Inside Your Bubble
Before the election actually went down, Noah gave us a bit of warning that things might not shake down exactly as expected by highlighting the fact that liberals and conservatives are both getting very one-sided sides of the political stories of the day.
10. The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: Patton Oswalt Speaks on Dealing With His Grief
Not every late night moment makes us laugh, and that’s OK. We’ve always loved Patton Oswalt for his sense of humor, but we came to love him even more this year when he became open and honest about his deep sense of grief over the loss of his wife. Hats off to the comedian for keeping it so very real.