Blimey! Hulu’s Chuffed to Bits to Present the Best of British TV from BBC Worldwide North America

September 18th, 2013 by Lisa Holme Content Acquisition

My earliest memory of British TV was Rumpole of the Bailey, an irreverent series about an iconoclastic barrister (a chiefly British term for lawyer) that made my father, a lawyer, howl with laughter. It was completely lost on me at the time—powdered wigs and all. Since then, U.K. TV and my taste in shows have come a long way. These days, I’m constantly begging my fiancé to watch incredible British shows like Sherlock and Moone Boy with me.

Anglophiles, feast your eyes on Hulu Plus as we launch a massive collection of new and landmark British programs from BBC Worldwide North America.

For years, Hulu has been a top destination for U.K. programming and titles such as Misfits, The Thick of It, Rev., Pramface and others exclusive to the service. Now, Hulu Plus will stream one of the largest collections of British imports in the U.S., including internationally beloved series like Doctor Who, Top Gear, Sherlock, and Luther, as well as comedies such as Fawlty Towers, Twenty Twelve, and Blackadder; sci-fi favorites Bedlam, Red Dwarf, and Primeval; and natural history shows, including selections from David Attenborough’s Life in the…series, Life of Mammals, and The Greatest Wildlife Show on Earth. In addition, other titles like Upstairs, Downstairs, Wallander, and Bleak House will be available. In other words, there’s a little something for everyone (even my father).

The library is so huge, we’re launching various collections over the coming weeks:

Sept. 18: Doctor Who, Science Fiction and Adventure
The 50th anniversary of Doctor Who is nigh, and to prepare, Hulu Plus subscribers can immediately enjoy one of the widest online offerings of the acclaimed series. Today, fans can catch up on more than 170 episodes featuring the many doctors, as well as the show’s popular spin-offs The Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood. There’s more time travel, aliens, action and a touch of romance, with the launch of Life on Mars, Primeval, Robin Hood, Day of the Triffids, Red Dwarf, Survivors, The Fades, and more.

Sept. 24: Dramas and Masterpiece Classics
Cumberbitches, a label proudly worn by those enchanted by Brit heartthrob Benedict Cumberbatch, can now follow one of the most famous detectives of all time (indubitably, Sherlock Holmes) anytime on Hulu Plus. For the best drama and mystery that only Masterpiece delivers, join in the chase for London’s most intense, evasive criminals with Luther, examine the darker side of politics in the original House of Cards Trilogy, or discover the differences among 1930 London’s elite and lower class in Upstairs, Downstairs. Expect more mystery and intrigue from Mi-5 (Spooks), Hustle, Hotel Babylon, New Tricks, State of Play, Wallander, Whitechapel, Bleak House, Cranford, He Knew He Was Right, and more.

Oct. 1: Comedies
Some of the wildest characters and acclaimed comedians of British sitcoms are coming to Hulu Plus. The uninitiated can revel in the outrageous antics of Patsy and Edina in Absolutely Fabulous, the anarchic non-sequiturs of The Young Ones, and the hilarious history of Rowan Atkinson’s Blackadder, co-starring House’s Hugh Laurie, who was previously best known for the sketch comedy series A Bit of Fry & Laurie, also coming to Hulu Plus. Revisit John Cleese’s eccentric seaside hotel Fawlty Towers and Dawn French’s classic Vicar of Dibley, or discover newer sitcoms Come Fly With Me, Psychoville and Twenty Twelve (with Lord Grantham himself: Hugh Bonneville).

Oct. 8: Factual and Natural History
The world’s most widely watched factual TV series, Top Gear, races onto Hulu Plus, with its stylized presentation featuring supercharged motor vehicles and cross-country adventures, in addition to its spin-off Richard Hammond’s Crash Course. Turning the lens on the world’s oceans, jungles, continents and animals, Hulu Plus will also feature David Attenborough’s award-winning programming, including The Blue Planet, Life in the Canopy, Life in the Freezer, Life in the Undergrowth, Life in Cold Blood, The Life of Mammals and The Greatest Wildlife Show on Earth.

Additional series will roll out throughout the year, giving Hulu Plus subscribers access to more than 2,000 episodes of new and landmark BBC Worldwide titles. A selection of BBC Worldwide library programs will rotate through the free Hulu.com service.

From time travel to traveling around the world from your living room, the enhanced British content on Hulu Plus is just some of what’s to come to the service this fall. So, grab a cuppa tea and scones to fuel your British binge.

Happy watching!

• Hi Carl,

Unfortunately we don’t have any information on availability for the special episodes of “Doctor Who”, but please check out our Blog post regarding BBC content (http://bit.ly/1e0bB86).

Dave

• CDaniel says:

I have a question for the Hulu web moderator. Will Hulu Plus be broadcasting the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary episode, and when?

• Dee Bee says:

Loving the BBC shows…
    Hope you will be getting Orphan Black, I’ve heard great things about that show, it’s a shame you don’t have it.

• Hi Amber. I agree that show is fantastic! I’ll be sure to pass your request for Season 3 on to our content team. Thanks, Hulu Support

• Amber says:

Will Season 3 of Miranda be on Hulu? Love that show!

• Lori H. says:

Oh my gosh, please bring back the most current episodes of Dr. Who, I can’t believe they are gone!

• Sean says:

Nooooooo! Bring back doctor who season seven part two! Had three more to go but “more” important things to do and now they are not there. What a tease Hulu. Get the rights and put them back on. Please.

• Hi David,

Thank you for posting. Due to an error, those episodes were briefly available. However, as we do not yet have the legal rights to stream those particular episodes, they were quickly removed. I’m really sorry for the frustration — I promise we’ll do everything in our power to make this the exception.

Tucker

• Hi Samantha,

Thank you for posting. Due to an error, those episodes were briefly available. However, as we do not yet have the legal rights to stream those particular episodes, they were quickly removed. I’m really sorry for the confusion and frustration — I promise we’ll do everything in our power to make this the exception.

Tucker

• David says:

Doctor Who Season 7 Part 2 showed up yesterday and I watched 3 episodes. Yet when I click on the next one, it says it is no longer available. I clicked several others and the same thing, yet their thumbnails are still there. What’s up?

• Samantha says:

We were surprised to find additional Dr Who season 7 episodes available today so decided to make a marathon of it. while we were in the middle of episode 9, “Cold War”, the additional episodes were pulled and no longer available? can you explain what happened? the hope of catching up on Dr Who faster than we could waiting for Netflix is just about the only thing supporting our decision to maintain a hulu subscription, and this experience was damaging to say the least.

• Hi Michelle,

Thanks for getting in touch. I haven’t heard any information about whether or not we’ll receive the Doctor Who special, so I’m afraid I don’t have a specific answer I can give on this. If we do get it, I’m sure we’ll make a big deal of it. I suggest checking the show page ( http://www.hulu.com/doctor-who ) from time to time after the special airs, in case we get the rights to it and we don’t make a big announcement about it.

If you have any other questions about specific shows, or even just general Hulu Plus questions, please contact us at ( http://www.hulu.com/support/support_form ) and we’d be happy to help out.

Best,
    Sam K.

• Michelle Cramer says:

Will Hulu+ carry the 50th anniversary special of Doctor Who to air this month?

• Kenzie says:

Is there an estimated time when the newest episodes of Doctor Who Season 7 will be available?

• There are a lot of BBC shows available on the free, Classic Hulu(A Bit of Fry and Laurie, The Young Ones, Wallander, Doc Martin, The Life of Mammals with David Attenborough) and many others. You can tell what is Plus only by noticing the green “h+” icon in the top left corner of the show’s thumbnail. Check ( http://www.hulu.com/british ) for more!

• AnnA says:

I am quite dismayed that there appears to be no BBC content on Hulu…
    Only if you join HULU PLUS…. Very deceiving as it does not say that on the Hulu site
    only when you click a program does it tell you that you have to see it on Hulu plus.
    There is no way that I will give my credit card online and I’m really upset that I can’t
    see my favourite BBC programs. Booooo Hoooooo………
    If I am wrong and there ARE BBC shows on Hulu, without paying, PLEASE let me know!
    Many thanks…….

• Sorry, we’re always working to expand our library, but I don’t have any news regarding if/when we’ll be able to get series 2 of Upstairs Downstairs. As soon as we do know something you’ll see it here ( http://www.hulu.com/upstairs-downstairs ).

Thanks!
    Charlie

• gretchen says:

When will series 2 of upstairs downstairs be available on hulu/hulu plus? :-)

• Hi there,

Unfortunately our recent acquisition of BBC content does not include current season episodes of “Doctor Who”, our apologies. We’ll do our best to add it in the future!

Dave

• DS says:

When will we see the most recent Doctor Who episodes?

• mike gilfilian says:

what about the being human series, liked your version better

• Hi Brandon,
    I don’t have any specific information for you regarding attaining the streaming rights for ‘Allo ‘Allo and Yes, Minister/Prime Minister, or additional episodes of the classic Dr. Who, but I’ll pass your request to our content team here. We’re big fans of British comedies, so we certainly hope to add more soon. Let me know if you have any other questions or recommendations!

Eric C.

• Brandon says:

Any chance of getting ‘Allo ‘Allo and Yes, Minister/Prime Minister? Are we going to eventually get all the classic Doctor Who’s or just the smattering of episodes we have now?

• We’re pretty excited about it too! Sorry, but I don’t have any news on Ashes to Ashes for now. We’re always working to expand our library though, so we’ll certainly do what we can to get it for you. Let us know if there is any more we can do to help.

Thanks!
    Charlie

• Thanks for your post… We love them too! Rest assured we’re always working to expand our library and will certainly work to get more of these for you!

Thanks!
    Charlie

• Lisa says:

PLEASE i want British comedy shows. L O V E BRITISH comedy, Come Fly With Me, Outnumbered, Friday Night Dinner, The Inbetweeners, Miranda and the list get longer and longer. please let me know if you will have any British comedy shows.

• Jason says:

I’m sooooooo excited for the influx of BBC content!!!! Question are you guys going to get Ashes to Ashes the sequel series to Life on Mars? I hope I would to see the full story unfold! Kudos on the partnership with the BBC!!!

• Unfortunately for now (as much as we’d love to) we don’t have the current season of Doctor Who or the other BBC shows, so we won’t likely get those specials or Luther immediately after they air. We’re working to get as many current season shows as we can, but for the time being we’re only able to offer these past seasons. Please let us know if there is any more we can do to help.

Thanks!
    Charlie

• We’re pretty excited about it too! I don’t have any news regarding other BBC programmes we might get in the future, but we love Monty Python as well. We learned by watching these great shows of course!

Charlie

• tim says:

Wow, my dad was also a lawyer who loved Rumpole of the Bailey. Thanks for bringing the BBC to us in the US. Will you also have Monty Python?

Where did you learn language like chuffed?

• Laurie says:

Will the Doctor Who Anniversary special and Christmas Special air immediately or will there be a delay? Will Sherlock be available as aired in the UK? Will Luther Season 3 be available immediately? Thanks

• That would make a GREAT poster… I’d be more than happy to relay your request to our team here.

Thanks!
    Charlie

• bac says:

Can we get that poster of the 11 Doctors that’s in the article?

• jennifer says:

i wonder if we will get current episodes the day after (or sometime thereafter) after they air in the UK for current shows.

• Margaret says:

Crash Course!!! YES!!!!!! Love this show. Wish there would be a third season.

• Hello everyone, thanks for posting. We’re glad to hear you’re as excited as we are about our new BBC content! To answer a few questions, Hulu Japan actually has a separate library that is subject to it’s own rights agreements with content providers. We have not yet announced any agreements with BBC for Hulu Japan, so please stay tuned to ( http://www.hulu.jp ) for any future updates. Also, at this time our agreement with BBC does not include current-season content. For each BBC show, you can find specific availability on each show’s page (e.g. http://www.hulu.com/doctor-who ). Adding shows to your Favorites will make sure they’re updated whenever more episodes are added.

I hope this helps! For any specific questions about playback, please write in directly at ( http://www.hulu.com/support ).

Best, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Lauri says:

Very happy about the new BBC content! I’ve been wondering where I can get more British shows, and yesterday I told my husband all we need to do is keep our Hulu plus subscription! We really enjoyed Moone Boy over the summer, I recently discovered QI and I love it, and I can’t wait to see what else we can watch!

• It is truly greater than merely available planet speed to catch different things for mom and dad
    and children to select a pre-defined text from the other player to lose cables.
    More than this one, you might be usefulMake gravestones appear outside of game cheats ps3 Tortage.
    Even though they may invite, the top ten highest rated games of the Playstation 3 in
    a vulnerable position. In addition, game cheats ps3 you can’t get netflix.
    About Dodge ChargerAs the first to ensure maximum flexibility.

• Howard says:

As a subscriber to Hulu Japan will we be getting this too?

• Jennifer says:

You will be getting a new customer soon, since you are adding some of my favorite shows that are on BBC! So excited that I can dump cable.

• Matt Jordan says:

So excited. Got rid of cable just a few months ago so Hulu Plus and Netlifx are my source for TV. Will current seasons be available next day?

• Jatarious says:

Its moments like these that makes me keeping coming back to Hulu plus before Signing up for you guys I had never given a British show the time of the day I’ve came across a lot of great shows using your service.

• Debbie says:

Ive tried HULU twice and disliked it. Sorry, but true, I had to back out of a show to get to the next one instead of it just queuing it up next. Plus it takes forever to buffer. Nothing listed here that I cant get on netflix, sorry. If you want to grab me, get things like Miranda. Oh BBC if your reading this, more British shows.. Brittan gets our stuff even via the web, whats the deal.

• Summer says:

I’m thrilled that Hulu+ has Doctor Who and other BBC shows! I’m curious . . . does anyone knows when to expect the rest of season 7? Hopefully, before the 50th anniversary special! I also hope we see Broadchurch soon! : )

• Linda says:

EastEnders? Any chance of EastEnders?

• Matt says:

Will we get to see current season episodes next day?

• Jennifer says:

We just need you to add Eastenders now! Loving Coronation Street but I’m an EE girl at heart.

Also please add the TOWIE Christmas specials.

• Lisa says:

Oh, and some great kids’ content from the BBC would be fabulous – all of Horrible Histories, please!

• Lisa says:

Excellent news – I’d love to see some non-BBC UK shows I still miss, like Hamish Macbeth. Sticking with the Scottish theme (but going back to the BBC), the fine adaptation of The Crow Road would be great to see again too; and hey, it’s marketable as there’s a certain (new) Time Lord in it…

• Steve Fair says:

I was very excited upon hearing about this but was then proportionally disappointed when I discovered that the episodes of classic Who being offered where the same as can be found on Netflix. I was hoping it would either be different episodes or the complete series. Very disappointing.

• Carolyn Stern says:

I am so happy to see this. I am always digging around the internet to find these gems. Having them all in one place and not having to buy them in Region Two format from UK websites is fabulous. Thanks so much. Just a request, if you are doing Life on Mars you really NEED to also do Ashes to Ashes. Anyone loving Life on Mars will just go nuts not being able to see the rest of the series. I finally bought a Region Free DVD player and got the DVD’s from the UK. And yes the series was that good. Worth the $100 total I paid. But Hulu you can just go get it for the rest of us.

• Samantha says:

This is brilliant news! I will certainly renew my Hulu Plus subscription after learning this. Excellent work, Hulu.

• Samantha says:

Such brilliant news. I will certainly be signing back up for Hulu Plus after hearing this. Excellent move, Hulu.

• Kim Powell says:

What about Titanic and Law & Order: UK?

• Scott says:

Netflix has some of the earlier episodes…will Hulu Plus have all the earlier episodes?!?

• Sarah Phillis says:

Any plans to add Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan? Love that one!

• Jim says:

How soon after airing on BBC will new episodes show up on Hulu?

• Tara says:

What does this mean for content on Netfix?

• Andres says:

I absolutely love BBC content, and am thrilled to this new addition to my Hulu+ collection. One question that I have is related to which version of these shows will be presented. Often, BBC shows are edited for length (to account for commercials) and content (e.g. music licensing issues, etc) when imported to the US. Will Hulu carry the original BBC broadcasts or will it show the BBC America / Region 1 DVD versions of the shows?

Thanks again!

Andres

• Hey Mike,

I’m glad to hear you dig the new selection of BBC content! We are always looking to expand our library, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see more soon!

Joe B.

• Mike says:

This is excellent news. As an anglophile, I love Hulu’s awesome selection of British shows and I’m glad to see it expanding. You guys also added QI a few weeks ago which is a great show. You should get more QI (including QIXL) and lots of other British panel shows. I love those.