The New Hulu Plus Experience Coming to a Living Room Near You…

May 31st, 2013 by Dave Herman Senior Product Manager, Living Room

Starting today, we’re excited to roll out a new and improved Hulu Plus experience on Samsung Smart TVs and select Blu-ray players*, Roku set-top boxes, and coming soon to the Wii console from Nintendo. The team of engineers at Hulu’s Seattle office has been hard at work enhancing and refining the user experience on these devices, and we hope you’re going to love the beautiful new Hulu Plus experience we’ve created for you.

Users can now enjoy their favorite shows and summer entertainment, including Hulu original and exclusive shows, through the new Hulu Plus experience on their favorite living room devices. In the fall of last year, we rolled out the new Hulu Plus living room experience, and the feedback from users has been extremely positive. We’re pleased to update the experience across millions of Samsung and Roku devices today, and on Wii soon, including:

Artwork. Larger and more vivid artwork, easier navigation.
    Trays. Tray-style format allowing you to scroll through recommendations, popular shows and movies, top 100 clips, movie trailers and a new “Shows You Watch” feature that lets you jump straight to the latest episodes of the shows you regularly watch.
    Search. Updated search experience providing a simpler way to find content with results that appear directly beneath the search.
    Controls. Playback is simplified with clean and intuitive controls: press up or down to display the playback menu, or left or right to fast-forward or rewind.
    Hulu Kids. Brings Hulu Kids section to the living room, letting your family enjoy commercial-free children’s shows from your couch.
    Easy Access. Simple to sign up for Hulu Plus directly from within the app.

We’re excited to show you today’s new Hulu Plus experience as the latest development coming out of our talented team in our Seattle offices. This is all part of our ongoing commitment to innovating on behalf of our users – please let us know what you think of the new design.

Happy summer watching!

*Inclusive of 2012 and 2013 Samsung Smart TVs and select Blu-ray players.

• topdiablo3 says:

I do not believe that we have found or even approached perfection. That is not necessarily in the scheme of human events.

• Matthew says:

I use hulu on my computer, for free win/win.
    My mother on the other hand bought a ROKU 2 and subscribed to HULUplus. She is quite upset about the update.
    I remember the “update” that removed simplified playlists entirely for the stupid ordering in the list view… not because they didn’t work, but because most didn’t use them. Do people use list view? I sure as heck don’t.
    1. She said it was strange and had no real description provided for how the functionality had changed. So learning it; well, still learning it, is frustrating in her opinion.
    2. She said there was also an average increase of 1 commercial per break. While I noticed this too, I assumed it was because my cheap and unemployed ass was watching for free, but apparently that has no bearing on commercial frequency.
    3. She’s mostly irked about the fact that the “Return to the video you were viewing previously” option has vanished. I’m talking about the one that would prompt you on your return to Hulu after going to ROKU’s homescreen when you accidentally push that home button with your arse; or a 2 year old does with “ninja” like determination and skill.
    While I understand that the history is easily accessible through a few quick scrolls, not too sure why that meant the feature was removed entirely (1 button yes beats waiting to load then needing to scroll around). If only there were OPTIONS to turn something like that on/off rather than the “gods” at HULU deciding that she didn’t need that neat feature anymore.

• Hey Austin,

Do you mind shooting us an email via ( http://www.hulu.com/support/support_form )? This way we can send you some in-depth troubleshooting steps and figure out what is going on here! I’m sorry
    for the ongoing trouble, but I’m sure we will get this figured out.

Joe B.

• Hey Rob,

Thanks for the post. It is ultimately up to the Network/Content Owners of the show, concerning availability. This means they pick what episodes/seasons they’d like to send us, and when
    they will be available and for how long. I know this is frustrating, and I apologize for that! Hopefully in the future we will gain the full streaming rights for the entire seasons!

Joe B.

• Austin says:

Rebooting my Samsung blue ray does not work. The appt still freezes up the player during the loading screen. Guess I’m paying for something I can’t use. If this isn’t fixed very quickly I will definitely be canceling.

• AL says:

The new hulu user interface on roku is much less usable than previous. The outline box is too subtle…I frequently have little idea which item is active because I spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to find that pale thin white box. On a 27″ tv, the smaller size of the show/movie icons when browsing is now simply too small. I really appreciated the previous format over most of my other roku apps because of the magnification of the active item. The items are too small now for me to have any idea what the show/movie actually is. From a user interface perspective, it’s a very frustrating redesign and will likely lead me to drop my hulu plus subscription.

• Rob says:

the only reason i pay for u is to watch at least a full seasonof a show…..supernatural season 8 skips from ep 3 to 12 ! thats bullshitt…..if i have to wait to see it anyway WHY PAY U?…SNL is the same way……..If im waiting for the whole season i can go else where & get the whole thing sent to my house!…U know what ill do that !!!

• Robyn Bowen says:

When Hulu first started with Dennis Leary as the spokesman, it was like you were the rebel media source, defying evil, overcharging cable TV. Now you’ve crossed over to the dark side, with your all-too frequent commercials and most especially, the totally aggravating, inefficient and confusing new format. Bah, Hulu! Keep it up and we’ll be unsubscribing in droves!

• Alison Campbell says:

I think the new app is horrible. The screens are confusing and too busy. Also the outline to indicate what box you are on is too lite. I never know where my curser is pointing. Please please please bring back the old app.

• Hi Tracey, thank you for posting. I’m sorry for the frustration our new update is causing, and I’d love to help. To go back to the home page from any show, simply pause it, and click the Return button on your remote. For specific troubleshooting steps, please write in directly at ( http://www.hulu.com/support ) so we can help guide you through the new update!

Best, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Tracey says:

Just updated the app on my Samsung TV and not impressed at all. It’s not intuitive. Took me ages to figure out how to navigate, and I still can’t figure out how to get back to the Hulu “home” page from within a show. Can’t go back, can’t click on the logo. So I’m stuck until I close out and reopen. Surely this is not what you intended? Thinking of getting rid of Hulu Plus and just sticking to Netflix.

• Rebecca G says:

I find the new (Roku) interface to be very frustrating. The rate of scroll through the opening programs is too fast to read the blurbs, much less to sit and ponder, do I want to watch this? If I do hit play, then i’m likely to get the next show that comes up, not the one I was reading about. And then, I cannot go BACK simply. I have to log OUT of hulu, then log back IN, and wait for hulu to reload. If I pick a series and start to watch it, fine, but when I want to leave anything to go back to another menu AGAIN I have to log out first and log back in again. This is nutbar.

• Hey Luke,

Sorry about the issues you are having after this most recent update. Could you please try the troubleshooting steps listed here ( http://bit.ly/QpPtwK ) and see if this helps? If you are still having issues, please reach out to us directly ( http://bit.ly/2gfNZF ) so we can best help you further.

Brian

• Luke says:

I like the look of the new interface on the Wii, however we now have to pause and unpause for every single commercial. It’s not that it’s not loaded as when we do that it works instantly but we can wait forever if we don’t hit anything. Very very annoying bug. I’m on a 10Mb connection so that’s not it either.

• Hi Jackie,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding our advertisements, I’m sorry for the frustration they have caused. The ads you see go a long way towards keeping the cost of our service low, and I assure you that the number of ads per break is still less than you would see on cable television. Thanks again for sharing your concerns. If you have any further questions, please contact us at ( http://www.hulu.com/support ).

Casey C!

• Jackie says:

I’m so angry at HuluPlus. I pay hard earned money each month to watch what in essence are RERUNS and you keep cramming in more and more commercials. I’m watching a cop show that was filmed in Australia 5 years ago and there are approx. 14 commercials during 7 breaks. Today, there was a 132 second commercial before I saw the first scene of the show I wanted to watch!

I can’t tell you how frustrating it is to click on a show and have to sit through 2 or 3 commercials before the show starts only to find out I have already seen the show!

Some day soon a competitor is going to come along and realize that you are gouging us with the commercials and once they open for business — you will be history!

TOO MANY COMMERICALS. TOO MANY INTERRUPTIONS. HATE COMMERICALS BEFORE THE SHOW STARTS! YOU’VE TURNED INTO “THE CABLE COMPANY”.

Signed,
    An angry, paying customer

• Kate says:

I used to watch my hulu queue in broadcast order, now it seems i can only watch an individual show in order. I miss the old system where I could watch all my shows in the order they were broadcast instead of watching all the episodes of one show and then moving on to the next show because the autoplay feature doesn’t work properly. Will there be a fix to this?

• Hey Ron,

I’m sorry for the Roku trouble here. Are you saying that the episodes in your Queue, or the episodes on the show’s page are not in order? Have you tried viewing the shows through the Season they are in?

Joe B.

• Ron Draper says:

I watch hulu plus on Roku and was always pleased with the service. Until the new app appeared. It is much more difficult to use. The worst part is that the episodes no longer are shown in order. I have spent considerable time on your website trying to get them to play in order without success. Can you advise a way to fix this problem? Or just go back to the old Hulu. Thanks.

• Hi Jack, thank you for posting and letting us know how you feel about our updated Roku app. I apologize for the frustration this update has caused, and I understand that it can be overwhelming to enter our app and see a lot of the new changes we’ve made all at once. Especially when you’re used to our old layout. While most of the features that existed before have not changed, a lot of things have moved around. We pride ourselves on our service being a reliable source of entertainment, so I sincerely apologize that it has caused you frustration.

In order to afford all of the current-season television programming that is exclusive to Hulu, we currently do have advertisements on our service. This helps us keep our subscription fee low at $7.99 for Hulu Plus users. While we currently do not have the rights to stream full episodes of Stargate SG-1 on our site, we do have 76 episodes of Battlestar Galactica available to stream on the computer and other devices. If you’d like help locating more episodes of your favorite shows, or have any further questions, we’d be happy to answer more specifically at ( http://www.hulu.com/support ). Thank you again for your feedback, and I’ll be sure to pass it onto the team!

Best, Alexa, Hulu Support

• jack says:

I have signed up for the trial. The interface for hulu on my roku totally sucks. Wastes all the space and time with irrelevant trays about recommendations, clips, popular, etc. All I want to do is go directly to the next episode of the TV series I am watching. Take a look at Netflix or Amazon Instant Video where this is very easy. Impossible on hulu. Also I do not want to see commercials when I pay to watch. Buttons on roku control either don’t work or do something you don’t expect or want. No Stargate SG-1 or Battlestar Galactia. I’ll watch a few more movies then cancel when aggravated by the ads. Both Netflix and Amazon are much easier to use and a better value. Absolutely disappointed with hulu.

• Annette says:

It’s my first day paying for HuluPlus, and I haven’t been able to watch more than 2 minutes consecutively of TV w/o video pausing to “load”. That’s when I’m lucky. Usually it only plays for about 30 seconds… except for the commercials… funny how those play without a hitch.

• becca says:

Kyle, I sent a message to the link you provided. Also, wanted to let you know that; ** It’s not just my Samsung Smart TV, It’s all my devices, HP Laptops, Samsung Blu Ray, PS3, XBox, Roku. Phones – HTC One, Samsung S3, Motorola Atrix HD. Everything else streams just fine, I only have issues with Hulu Plus. I’ve done all the resets possible. I don’t have cable or phone. My only connection is Time Warner “Ultimate Internet 50mbs” It also happens when there is only one item connected to the Internet. Thank You for your help..

• Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for posting. I apologize for the frustration caused by our recent update. If you are experiencing playback issues on the Samsung, please reach out directly to us at ( http://www.hulu.com/support). I hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,
    Kyle

• Rebecca says:

I agree that the Q should be the 1st block on the main page. My #1 Complaint is that ANY show that I TRY to watch KEEPS LAGGING AND LOADING EVERY FEW MINUTES!!! (Samsung Smart TV) Any other App (Netflix, Amazon Prime, You Tube, ETC.) No lagging or loading at all, shows play seamlessly all the way through. Please Fix. It’s EXTREMELY Frustrating!

• Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry for the frustration this has caused. We’ve received a few reports from users who are running into navigation and playback lag, and our specialists are looking for a possible solution.

We really appreciate your patience as we optimize the performance of the app.

As always, please feel free to contact us directly with any additional questions or concerns. You can reach us via email through our support form ( http://www.hulu.com/support/support_form ).

Russ

• KT says:

The new Roku interface is awful. When I go to my queue, I want to pick up where I’ve left off; putting the episodes in descending order makes absolutely no sense. I don’t want to click through 500 episodes to get to number 19. It’s ridiculous. In addition, when I go through the episodes by season, none of season one loads beyond episode 13. The navigation is overly complicated and counter-intuitive, especially for long-running series with hundreds of episodes.

• Dave Knuckles says:

I really like Hulu,but as others have noted the new interface on Roku is buggy — slow loading,blank tiles,crashes etc — Please fix these issues

• j says:

Hate it. Took forever to find where my subscriptions went, then found them sorted in a completely different order, which is not in the order I painstakingly ranked them in on the hulu website. Many icons such as “movies” and “kids” categories are blank tiles so i can’t tell what the are unless i click on them. Scrolling through favorites the icons take so long to load that i have to stop every few clicks to see if the show i’m looking is there or if i have to scroll further. Initial load is LONG. Everything is harder to find now. HATE that the commercial countdown is a graph instead of countdown timer.

• Oh Puhleese says:

I think the comments speak for themselves.
    The responses reflect the obvious fact that you don’t really care.

• richard says:

New interface is HORRIBLE! The old interface had a standardized font and point size for the titles that made the menu usable for vision impaired. It is now so difficult to try to find the title of the program within the artwork of the listing. Secondly, Is it just me having trouble on Roku or did you eliminate the subscription functionality. Now I must spend huge amounts of time trying to navigate unlabeled titles each time i want to see one of the programs I had as a subscription. Navigation is not intuitive and just plain sucks. The idiot at Hulu who approved this needs to be fired. These changes for the worse are a deal breaker, I’ll be cancelling my service.

• Sally says:

I watch hulu plus on my roku, but I’ve never been thrilled with it. I dislike that I pay for Hulu plus and still get stupid advertisements. You don’t get that with Amazon. Not to mention, I am not able to watch some of the free Hulu tv shows/movies from the website because it is not offered on my Roku via Hulu plus. Also, Hulu plus used to be very sluggish and would freeze up on a regular basis… not sure if that’s improved. So I’m a bit confused with this so called “update”… I’m rather unimpressed. I wonder,why is it that after I watch a tv episode, the next episode is not offered? That would be intuitive. Why do I have to go scrolling thru a list of episodes to find the next episode to watch. It seems very clunky. Do you want to lose paying customers. It seems like Hulu plus is getting worse rather than better. Guess what, I’m paying Amazon for a tv episode as I am writing this email to you…. because it is easier.

• Mike says:

I cannot stand the new UI. I gave it a week or so, hoping I could get used to it, but I CANNOT. It is not user friendly at all and it’s extremely frustrating searching for shows. And why does the app have a ton of shows in the “Shows you watch” section that I’ve never watched before. I was searching that row for a show I watch all of the time and after scrolling through a bunch of shows that I’ve never seen, I eventually gave up and went to the search bar. This new setup is very confusing and annoying!

PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK!!!

• Cath says:

Hulu..get your head out of the sand.
    Your customers don’t like the new interface.
    When you first initialize hulu on roku it shouldn’t take 30 seconds.
    The tiles may be a ‘cool’ idea, but the customer shouldn’t have to DRILL DOWN to get the next show on their queue.

• Duong Vu says:

I’m having issues with your app on the roku. I have nothing new to say, many of my frustrations has already been expressed by others. I can live with the long load time if navigation was better. Navigation makes the app on the roku unusable, I hate that I have to reload it every time I want to go to the top level menu. If this issue isn’t fix quickly I will cancel my account. I’ve been very very patient already.

• Kim says:

The new interface is the WORST!!! What were you thinking? I seriously hope the developers were fired for this huge blunder. PLEASE give us the old version back. I’m giving it one more month then will cancel my plus subscription. Frustration isn’t worth it. by the time I finally get to the shows in my queue I’m too annoyed to enjoy them. MAJOR FAIL!!!

• Kristi says:

The interface update is not at all what I expected – it’s not user-friendly! It’s horrible. I agree with everyone else:

1. The search is difficult to find and use.
    2. My queue of favorites now contains any show from the “Shows you may like” category that plays for five seconds when Hulu instand-play is running. (And most of them are shows I would NEVER watch). I don’t see how to remove them from my queue after Hulu puts them there, either.
    3. It takes an eternity to load and freezes any time I push a command button.
    4. Episodes listed in descending order makes no sense – I like to watch my shows in ascending order like any normal person.

This interface seriously needs to be modified. And fast. It’s created a horrible user experience, leaving customers frustrated and very disappointed.

• Hi guys, thank you for posting. We certainly hear your frustrations, and thank you for the helpful feedback you’ve given, as it helps inform decisions we make in the future with regards to our service. While some of the features like the Queue have moved around, we’re always considering how to make the user experience better, and you should still be able to find it within a few clicks from the home screen. As far as the Samsung crashing issue goes, this is usually solved with a reboot by unplugging the BluRay player, modem, and router for a full minute, then trying again. If this does not eliminate the problem, and for any other playback-related issues, it’s best to write into us directly at ( http://www.hulu.com/support ) so we can troubleshoot specifically and get things up and running quickly.

Thanks, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Kathy says:

Not user friendly at all! Change it back! Whoever came up with this should be FIRED! Letters too small, no way to easily exit and navigating is a pain in the ass! Help section is a joke!

• David says:

This new “update” crashes our Samsund Blu-ray evey time we try to open Hulu. Horrible…

• Andrew Young says:

The old interface was terrible. The new one is worse.

The queue is not even on the screen. I had to look online to try to figure out where it is. The funniest thing is that the rightmost square on the screen by default, (with queue being directly to its right, off the screen) is totally blank. It almost seems like it’s there just to keep my queue invisible. Too many clicks to get to the only thing I’m interested in. Almost all new television blows, and what doesn’t is already in my favourites.

The tiny text for episode titles is insane. I know I’m a dinosaur with my CRT television, but I literally can’t read it with my face a foot from the screen. When searching through my queue, if I’m on one side and want to get to the other, I have to scroll through everything. I can’t just hit left while on the left side and pop out on the right side again like with the old interface.

Putting all the letters on a single line for search has to be the most incompetent unforced interface error ever. If you don’t know why that’s a stupid idea, then I don’t think you should be doing this for a living. And making the search bar almost invisible above everything else, blending in with the “watch our new garbage” slideshow? What the hell?

It seems like the entire time you were making the new interface pretty and pushy, you forgot that we peons who give you money to watch content actually need a goddamned means to access it. You make everything a struggle; I have to fight your interface to watch absolutely anything. It looks nice, but it’s incredibly unfriendly and unusable.

You know what would be an awesome interface for me? One big button that says “QUEUE” and another that says “SEARCH.” And nothing else whatsoever. That would be so nice.

• Mandy says:

The update on my Samsung Smart TV is terrible. I simply can’t watch it, as each program I attempt to view stops to load every few minutes regardless of the video quality I choose. I can watch with no problem on the Xbox app when hooked up to the same TV, and the TV app worked great before this update, so it can’t be an issue on my end, it is the new version. Extremely disappointed.

• Michelle Elwood says:

I gave it a week, but the update for Roku is awful. It takes forever to load, crashes even more often. Navigation is truly terrible. So many more clicks to get to the things I want to watch, absolutely no way to back out of any menu or return to my queue after watching a video. I have to go all the way out to the Roku menu every time, then it takes forever to load Hulu again. It’s a horrible pain in the ass. And this is the tv off-season; I can’t imagine how frustrating this will be when new shows are airing again, if I haven’t cancelled by then.

And can I say that it is a cruel joke to have a “Help” tile that contains no actual help, and requires exiting Hulu to escape? That’s just mean.

• Heidi says:

I too am frustrated with how much navigation is needed especially to get the my queue. As noted by others the queue should be front and center. Definitely made less user-friendly. Also frustrated that once I select an episode to watch, I have to click through more things to actually watch. The other problem I am having is that from when I click on Hulu it now takes 20 seconds to load and it loads in two phases. I hope the new format isn’t set and stone and you can work on the user-friendliness.

• Steve Hilby says:

1. The new interface is lousy; search results should be a simple list, not a bunch of visually cluttered tiles.
    2. Too hard to find the search field.
    3. The”Queue” tile should be front and center.
    4. The alphabet in search is in too small a typeface, and I detest scrolling back and forth.

My wife says she can’t use it, and I agree with her. As soon as I hit “leave comment” here, I’m going over to cancel my subscription.

• Shannon says:

So glad to see that I’m not the only one who very much dislikes the new interface. Like others have said, it’s really frustrating that I have to click (it seems like) twice as much to watch my shows. If a show is in my queue and I click on it, I want it to play. I also dislike that I have to scroll more to get to my queue. And I have to go back to my main menu. Why can’t I just hit the up button like I previously used to? It’s incredibly frustrating that I can’t just go up one level, especially since there are a number of new levels added. Usually updates make things simpler, not more complicated. Hopefully all of these comments get taken into consideration.

• DB says:

Does this new experience also apply to the app on Vizio internet enabled TVs?

• Rhonda says:

Agreeably the old interface needed updating however this new one is absolutely terrible. It seems as if it’s meant to be intuitive but it’s just plain painful to locate where I’ve left off – although it’s certainly clear what Hulu Plus thinks I should watch next. The “shows I watch” includes shows I’ve never watched and these don’t seem to be able to be removed. I think Hulu finally succeeded in convincing me that a pay per episode service would be less headache and worth the extra cost.

• brian says:

We can not stream any of the popular programs on our Sony blu-ray player.

• Richard says:

We’re disappointed that Samsung 2011 TVs haven’t received updates to your official Hulu Plus app. We are longtime Hulu customers and our primary experience is awful in comparison to your app on other devices. All the other apps receive frequent updates on our 2011 TV.

Please update the Hulu Plus app for 2011 Samsung TVs. We own a Samsung model LN46C650L and we would sing your praises again if you would bring your app closer to parity with the app on newer TVs.

• holly says:

Yuck. I dislike the new interface. Seriously considering canceling my Hulu plus for my roku. It’s just such a huge learning curve and a hassle to run.properly. the new interface isn’t very user friendly and there are repeated loading issues.

• SJ says:

Are you referring to the Wii or the Wii U? There’s a difference damn it!

• Hi Tori,

I’m sorry for the trouble our Samsung app is giving you. When you have a moment, please unplug your player for about a minute and then try again. I’m thinking that a simple reboot may help with this. If it doesn’t, please contact us at http://www.hulu.com/support for additional steps.

• Tori says:

I updated my Hulu Plus app on my Samsung Blu Ray player today, and now Hulu will not load. It never moves past the load screen and always freezes up my player.

• Don says:

New interface is a disaster. Things that were only a couple of clicks away have moved even further. Why should I care how green the bar is under my show; once I have watched it, it should be gone. You have complicated what was a clean interface! Think Google not MSN.

• Christy says:

Ack!! I use Huluplus on my Roku, and the new format is just terrible. I can’t find my queue. Episodes of shows sometimes show up in ascending order, and sometimes in descending. The search function doesn’t work. Bring back the simpler version!

• Hi John,

I apologize for the trouble you’ve experienced since the update. The search box can now be found at the top right side of the home page of the application. Once you have this selected (the magnifying glass will turn green), press the “ok” button and you should be all set. If you continue to have trouble, please get in touch with us directly at ( http://www.hulu.tv/C ).

Best,
    Kyle

• Hi Nancy,

I’m very sorry for the frustration. If you haven’t already, please get in touch with us at ( http://www.hulu.tv/C ) so we can take a look. I hope to hear form you soon!

Kyle

• Hi Lisa,

I apologize for any frustration our update has caused. If you on a Roku, you should still be able to move back within the app without quitting by using the “back” button on your remote. Similarly, if you are on a Samsung, this can be accomplished by using the “return” key. If run into any further trouble, please reach out to us directly at ( http://www.hulu.tv/C ).

Best,
    Kyle

• John says:

On top of being the Worst,least user friendly,buggy,SLOW to respond to commands from the remote control of my Roku 2XS than ANY other service i’ve ever known,i can’t even find a “Search” function.
    Where is it??
    If it’s supposed to be the small rectangular box with the magnifying glass icon on the top right corner of the diff.pages then it doesn’t work.
    SOMEBODY’S got to fix the new UI,it’s worse than bad.
    I might just cancel this “service”…..again.

• Tim G says:

I enjoy using hulu and have for years. I always appreciate the continued work to update the interface and tools. But what happened to browsing alphabetically through available shows? The new search seems find, but I can only search for what I already know. And in the genres link it only sorts by popularity. I want to know what is available and decide for myself if it is something I would like, even if it is more off the beaten path. I liked having the thumbnails with mouse-over descriptions of the show in the A-Z link also sort-able by genre and sub-genre.

• Nancy Krajnovich says:

I loved watching hulu plus until a few days ago. I watched every day , way more than my cable TV. I watch it through my Roku . Now it lags , stops randomly, and freezes up. It won’t fast forward and when I want to resume playing an episode I was watching, I hit resume and it starts me from the beginning. What is going on? My other channels seem okay. I am not happy. Most of the time I just shut it off out of frustration.

• Lisa says:

Sorry, I really do not like the new format. It seems you can not back out of what you choose without starting all over from the beginning. It seems not user friendly and confusing. I am sure it takes getting used to it but … wishing for the simpler version

• Ki Kate,

Sorry for the streaming trouble. The “Auto Play” option is located within “Settings” on the Main Menu; can you check to make sure it’s enabled?

Dave

• Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback; I’ll forward it along to our team. Please note that we make regular updates to our apps, and will be refining the layout in the future. In addition, regarding our advertising- we agree – sitting through the same ad over and over again can be very frustrating. The problem is threefold:

Advertisers buy ad space during programs they believe their target audience will be watching, and each show only has a limited number of advertisers. What’s more, each of these advertisers may only have one or two pieces of ad creative.

So if you’re watching several episodes of the same show in a row (or switching between similar shows), things can feel pretty repetitive.

To combat this, we’re pushing for our advertisers to create a wider variety of streaming-specific ads to make this issue a thing of the past. Thanks for being patient with us in the meantime, and again, I’m sorry for the frustration.

Dave

• Hi George,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. A lot of folks end up asking about the ads in a service like Hulu Plus, so I’m happy to help explain.

Hulu Plus’s focus is an expanded lineup of current-season TV, which means that much of the content isn’t yet available through other channels – like DVD, Blu-ray, syndication, and so on. Because these videos are so new and have such limited availability, they’re very expensive to license. The ads you see help offset these licensing costs, all while keeping the monthly subscription price at $7.99.

That said, we try our best to make sure the ads you see are relevant to you, and the overall duration of the ads is still significantly less than what’s on broadcast television.

We’re constantly looking at new ways to present this content, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see our service continue to grow over time, but hopefully this has shed a little light on our current model. If there’s anything else I can address for you, please let us know.

Dave

• Hi MJ,

Dave

• kathy says:

I guess I am the oddball here but on my Roku 3 at least I love the new design. I love the “shows you watch” line as it is easier to get to my most watched shows. The only thing I don’t like is if I have missed something and have to find a week old episode it is harder to find. But overall I do like it better and so far I have not had any problems with usage

• MJ Martin says:

I usually do not post regarding things like this, but I hope the new UI will get some tweaking. Not sure if the Search function was updated since release day as I have not used it since, but it was quite laggy and navigating to enter search terms did not feel as user-friendly (maybe I just need to get used to it). In all honesty, I think you guys overdid the whole thing. I get the concept of making the UI more visually appealing; however, in this case, it did not work well. The screen looks too cluttered. The icon to select queued videos should be front and center–not all the way to the side. I’m sure I’m not the only one who had to navigate to find it. The “Resume Episode,” “More Details” boxes are way too big and quite distracting. The “Recommendations” box is not needed also. I also do not see the point of “Favorites” or “Shows You Watch” mainly because I already have them on queue and if I do begin to watch a series and I end up liking them then I will add it to my queued shows; otherwise, it means I’m not interested…I mean there are shows listed which I probably watched once for 5 mins then stopped.

Basically, the older UI was much better as it was simple and clean. You guys had the right concept in terms of “enhancing and refining user experience,” but I think it was executed poorly. I don’t believe it’s innovative either because it seems as if it was a step back when compared to the old UI. The new UI comes off as being designed by tons of developers, with each one just piling on stuff ultimately resulting in a mess.

Sorry, just prefer the older UI better…

• George says:

I was shocked to see commercials inserted into the videos. I could understand that if this were a free service, but I am paying for it. Remove the commercials or lose me and lots of other customers.

• SadUser says:

The new update for Roku is horrible. NOT user friendly at all.
    Why is my queue 6 tiles away?? Those are the show I want accessible, not trailers for movies and video games and other stuff your trying to sell me on. Your queue should be the FIRST tile.
    The fast forward feature is a joke. You can’t tell where you are in the show because the clip doesn’t keep up, but every time you stop and try to figure out where you are in the show you get to watch THE SAME 3 commercials AGAIN? Really? And up to 3 commercials from 2? What am I paying for this service for, I can do that watching regular network TV.
    It’s bad enough I have to watch shows on my laptop because they’re “web only” even though I pay full price for the service on my Roku, but now I have to waste time trying to find the shows I actually care about because your pushing sales junk. I could continue but I doubt it will be heard.

The blog mentions “feedback from users has been extremely positive”… WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE??? Certainly not anyone commenting on this post. We all hate it. Bring back the old interface.
    Boo on you Hulu.

• bilbo says:

Please for the love of all things good, move the Q tile to the first tile.

• Kate says:

It seems like the auto play function is not working on hulu plus channel on my roku device. is there a fix for this?? or is there a setting or function I am missing?

• Hi,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry to hear that the updated app is giving you trouble. If you haven’t already please contact us directly at ( http://www.hulu.com/support ) so we can look into this further.

Best,
    Kyle

• Hi Justin,

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing with the new version of Hulu Plus. If you haven’t already, please reach out to us directly at ( http://www.hulu.tv/C ) so we can help.

Best,
    Kyle

• Keith says:

UI enhancement is always a noble goal. However your service has far more fundamental problems than can be fixed with a UI overhaul.

1. No one wants commercials in subscribed content. For that reason alone I will never pay you a dime to watch watch adverts adverts when I can buy an episode for $1.99 from Amazon or Vudu.

2. You play favorites with platforms. You have android app but no Google TV. Y o ur PS3 and XBox UIs are terrible and fragmented. Your attempt to support Linux is haklhearted at best. You release updates exclusive to partners who pay you for the privilege sending you more paying subscribers (double dip much?)

3. You’re on the auction block and have been for years. Either sell or make a no longer for sale declaration so we know who we’ll be dealing with.

4. Redirect engineering effort from UI tweaks to finding a way to deliver a cloud DVR of just the shows I like so I don’t have to search through MacGyver and Bewitched to find something from last week. Let me share this DVR with family and friends via private invitations and market to them in the guest experience to set up their own.

• Justin says:

The new “Living Room” experience is terrible, any way to go back to the old software? I have been trying to watch some episodes of Nashville and it continues to lock up loading the Advertisement at the beginning. I thought it was my wireless network, so I moved my Roku over to the wired network and it still locks up. If I back out of the episodes and go back in I just get a black screen and nothing more. There has to be a way to roll back to the older Hulu, right?

• BB says:

the new app lags and has a server expiry key issue with a number of shows. Please bring back the older app as i prefer a functional app

• Hi guys, thanks for posting and giving your feedback about our latest update on the Roku and other devices. It’s very helpful as we progress and work to improve our user experience. I’d suggest visiting ( http://www.hulu.com/support/article/23973201 ) to clarify any confusion about where specific features or menu items went, and any general navigation questions you may have. We’re always able to help, and appreciate your input.

Thanks, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Hi Marcus, thanks for posting! We’re always happy to hear when users are enjoying our service. At this time, we do not currently support playback on the BlackBerry Playbook Tablet. At this time we do not have any news to report about future plans with supported devices. You can always find an up-to-date list of supported devices at ( http://www.hulu.com/plus/devices ), however. I hope this helps!

Best, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Hi Whitney, good question. The queue is still there, it has just moved slightly. If you scroll to the first horizontal row of thumbnails on the homepage, it’s located just to the right. I hope this helps!

Thanks, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Hi guys, thanks for posting. We’re very excited to have just launched an app update to a number of devices! While we don’t have any news to share about other possible updates, we’re always working toward improving the Hulu Plus experience. You can make sure to get our latest versions of the app when available by making sure your device’s firmware stays up to date!

Best, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Hi Sarah, thanks for posting. From the homepage of our app, please scroll down to the first horizontal tray of thumbnails. In that row, the queue is located a few sections down to the right. If you still have trouble locating it, please let us know! Also, Shows You Watch is there to keep a list of the shows you watch the most, so it is not sorted as the Queue is. I hope this helps!

Best, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Mary says:

This update is definitely NOT user friendly or intuitive!! All the tiling makes for so much noise on the screen it’s hard to navigate it.
    Additionally, once I did figure out how to get to my subscriptions, when I entered one of them there is no way out except to return to Roku’s home page…arrow up/star/arrow left or right to end – all useless, nothing returned me to “hulu home” <- a major bug in my opinion. Would be nice if I had an option to change back to other interface.

• Whitney R says:

I just saw the new format (I access it on my Roku). But I’m confused — where’s my queue of new television shows? I miss this. It’s a key feature of HuluPlus that I value. Without the queue, I do not get much value from HuluPlus.

• Nicholas says:

Will Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-ray player be updated? Purchased late 2012, but not sure of original release date! Perhaps there is a page on your site with full list of supported BD players?

Thx

• Rick says:

No mention of Apple TV. The user experience is already pretty good, but will it be updated, too?

• john says:

Looks amazing :) Will it be updated on xbox too?

• Marcus says:

I’m a recently new member of Hulu PLUS, and thus far I can’t get enough of it. I use it everyday and watch so much that I miss on tv. Unfortunately I found myself saddened by the fact that couldn’t stream my shows on my BlackBerry Playbook Tablet. Just curious if there are indeed plans in the future to fix this? Seeing that tablet sales are going up and up as time goes by, this could only help the company tremendously! Hope to hear back with good news!

• Jodi says:

The “new & improved” Hulu experience on the Roku is terrible! It’s not the least bit user friendly, it’s hard to navigate, frequent areas like my queue are not in a convenient area on the screen and I have yet to figure out how to rate the shows I’ve finished watching. This is a huge step in the wrong direction!!! I’m all for change…but please make changes that actually are an improvement.

• Sarah says:

The update is lovely, but where is my queue? I’ve got a line that says “Shows you Watch” but things I’m caught up on are in there (like Colbert and Daily Show – which don’t even have new episodes this week). It seems that the first items listed might be new, but I don’t always watch my queue in the order presented, so does this mean that I have to click on each show to see if it indicates that it’s a new episode?

• Doug says:

Hello,

I am looking forward to the new update and pleased to hear it will be rolling around soon. I have a Sony Blu-ray player and the model is BDP-S390, so I’m wondering if this model is among the list of players that will receive the new update. Additionally, does the update include closed captioning and subtitles support for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing owners?

• mark says:

I really hopes this fixes the streaming problems I’m having with my LG BP620 player

• Christopher Garner says:

Sounds Great. But all these upgrades do not do me a bit of good if I can not sign up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jack says:

If it’s not as easy to look at my current shows as it is on the web, then it’s a total failure. I can never easily find the next episode (or even a show I watch regularly) of anything without tons of manual searching and scrolling. Ridiculous.

• Krisztian Mizser says:

What about the PS3?

• Jatarious says:

I hope you guys also fixed the hulu plus app on the Roku from going into a blank screen all the time when watching videos

• Mark says:

Any chance Vizio smart TVs will get updated Hulu app?

• David says:

I tried the free trial, but I quit because I couldn’t stand the way you had the “fast forward” detented to prevent skipping the commercials. Has that changed with the new UI?

• Spencer Yeldell says:

What about the LG Smart TV app? Will that be getting updated as well?

• 2