The New Hulu Plus Experience Coming to a Living Room Near You…

May 31st, 2013 by Dave Herman Senior Product Manager, Living Room

Starting today, we’re excited to roll out a new and improved Hulu Plus experience on Samsung Smart TVs and select Blu-ray players*, Roku set-top boxes, and coming soon to the Wii console from Nintendo. The team of engineers at Hulu’s Seattle office has been hard at work enhancing and refining the user experience on these devices, and we hope you’re going to love the beautiful new Hulu Plus experience we’ve created for you.

Users can now enjoy their favorite shows and summer entertainment, including Hulu original and exclusive shows, through the new Hulu Plus experience on their favorite living room devices. In the fall of last year, we rolled out the new Hulu Plus living room experience, and the feedback from users has been extremely positive. We’re pleased to update the experience across millions of Samsung and Roku devices today, and on Wii soon, including:

Artwork. Larger and more vivid artwork, easier navigation.
    Trays. Tray-style format allowing you to scroll through recommendations, popular shows and movies, top 100 clips, movie trailers and a new “Shows You Watch” feature that lets you jump straight to the latest episodes of the shows you regularly watch.
    Search. Updated search experience providing a simpler way to find content with results that appear directly beneath the search.
    Controls. Playback is simplified with clean and intuitive controls: press up or down to display the playback menu, or left or right to fast-forward or rewind.
    Hulu Kids. Brings Hulu Kids section to the living room, letting your family enjoy commercial-free children’s shows from your couch.
    Easy Access. Simple to sign up for Hulu Plus directly from within the app.

We’re excited to show you today’s new Hulu Plus experience as the latest development coming out of our talented team in our Seattle offices. This is all part of our ongoing commitment to innovating on behalf of our users – please let us know what you think of the new design.

Happy summer watching!

*Inclusive of 2012 and 2013 Samsung Smart TVs and select Blu-ray players.

• Emily Gordon says:

The experience is so lovely and seamless on the web. Why is it so unslightly and terrible on the Roku? To echo many of the other commenters, the type is microscopic–I can’t actually read it from four feet away–and the whole experience is clunky, un-intuitive, repetitive (why can’t it remember what series I was just watching?), and constantly freezes or otherwise malfunctions. I bought a Hulu Plus subscription because I can’t find all the TV series I want on Netflix or Amazon Prime. But I have to grit my teeth and gear up every time I load Hulu Plus, since it’s 100 times worse than the other TV-via-Roku sites. Help me understand!

• V.R. says:

Is there any way to watch regular (free) Hulu on a Samsung Smart TV?

• Liz says:

I left a comment yesterday, but see it has disappeared. I have cancelled my service because I can’t use HULU PLUS (roku). I can’t see the titles of shows even standing right in front of the screen most of them are so small they are illegible. Watching from 8 feet away, there might as well not be any titles (maybe there aren’t any) I can’t see them. I can’t find the shows I want to watch, when I finally do, I can’t find the next episode without getting up and standing at the screen, and clicking endlessly. The search function is absurd, the alphabet is strung out across the screen in tiny letters, at least i know the alphabet, so I can figure it out, but clicking through all those letters back and forth with a remote? What on earth?
    No problems with N*flix or Am*zon, I can see every word just fine, and can find what I am looking for, and NO COMMERCIALS!
    I’ve asked for help, and complained, but with no way to change back to the old (lovely, easy to use) format, I had no choice but to quit, no sense paying for something I can’t really use.

• Liz says:

I am a recent subscriber to Huluplus and I have found it easy enough to navigate on our Wii. I just bought a Sony BlueRay player and my Hulu experience on it has been frustrating.
    First, and I think most important, is that there is no season or episode number indication. If episodes were to be added to the queue out of order you would never know. Secondly, it doesn’t indicate the last episode watched in a series. Yes, it shows in the history but if that is quite extensive and you go directly to your queue it’s a guessing game. Lastly, if a movie or show if exited half way through, you can’t continue where you left off.
    Searching sucks.

I am looking forward to improvements.

• Hi Andrea, I’d love to help you access your Queue on your Wii. When you launch the Hulu Plus app, the first page will have the big, scrolling images of current episodes at the top, and right underneath when you press down on the directional pad you’ll see the options: TV, Movies, Trailers, Kids, Queue (you may need to scroll to the right to see the Queue option). Simply click on “Queue” and you’re there! If you do not see these options, I recommend you try the steps here: http://bit.ly/GU65bZ
    Thanks, Eric C. Hulu Support

• Andrea says:

Hello. I use Hulu Plus on my Kindle and Android all the time and it’s great! HOWEVER, with the new fall season I watch more and more via my Wii device with family and quite frankly I haven’t been able to since the new update. Why do you ask? Because I can’t find the queue. There are rows upon rows of suggestions and shows that I watch but that does me very little good because they aren’t necessarily shows or episodes I currently have in my queue. Quite frankly there is very little information online about this issue. I’ve been trying to work towards eliminating cable but it is impossible when one of the only sources I have, the Wii device, to watch shows via the internet in our family room is a burden rather than a convenience. Please can I get some advice on where the queue is located and also how to actually access my account from the Wii device? It used to be so user friendly back in the springtime before shows went on summer hiatus. Thank you.

• Terry says:

I agree with everyone else- terrible new interface! why is the thing most people would want first, the queue, at the bottom and over to the side?! and when i hover over an episode i can’t get any info on which episode it is… i wonder who beta tested this!

• Sorry for any trouble with our new Roku Channel. We certainly want you to have a good experience when using it. Here are some great tips for navigating the new interface: ( http://www.hulu.com/support/article/23973201 ). If you’re still having trouble, you might get in touch with us at hulu.com/support or support@hulu.com so we can go into a little more detail. From there we’ll also be able to take any feedback you have and pass it on. I hope this helps.

Thanks!
    Charlie

• essemmpee says:

It will never be too late to agree with pretty much every reply to this post that the new HuluPlus Roku Channel is about as horrible as it could possibly be from a usability standpoint. Instead of trying to cram a bunch of stuff down users’ eyeballs, may I suggest making the first priority the Queue, and everything else be secondary? Why can’t I hit the ‘Play/Pause’ button when I’m in the Queue and see that show start playing? Why won’t the next show in the Queue be the next one in the Auto-Play feature? If the point of this design was to maximize the amount of time it takes to navigate and get to the show you want to watch, them mission accomplished. D-

• Hi Eugene… Thanks for your post. Unfortunately there is no way to manually change the top tray on our Roku Channel. I certainly understand how that could be a useful feature, and I’d be more than happy to relay your request. Please let us know if there is any more we can do to help.

Charlie

• Eugene says:

Can we change the top tray on the Hulu plus channel on ROKU 2 XD? It lists Latino and British but I’d prefer it to show Korean.

• Hey there,

Thanks for the post. I’m sorry for the streaming trouble here. Do you mind running a speed test for me? It might be working on your computer because your computer should have a stronger wireless receiver than your Blu-Ray. Just visit ( http://www.speedtest.net ) and click “Begin Test”. What is the download speed and ping?

Joe B.

• k a says:

I wish I could even comment on the new interface but I’m too busy spending 30min trying desperately to watch 8min of programming. For the past few weeks it just keeps getting worse and worse. The shows will stop every couple minutes and some will not load past a certain point no matter how many times I reload or pause to let it buffer. I’ve updated my Sony blu-ray to no avail. I know it’s not the player because Netflix works fine. I don’t have the same level of problem when watching Hulu on a laptop so I’m ready to cancel my Hulu Plus subscription- what’s the point?

• Brandon says:

This interface is so painful to use on the Wii! The search is so difficult to use because the tiny string of letters. why not use a standard keypad grid or letters? It seems obvious that you never really tested this for functionality. and then after you get to a show, when you go back for more episodes, it clears the search and goes back to the home screen? what is that? INCONVENIENT. that’s what. my girlfriend and I barely use the service anymore even though we are still paying for it for some reason.
    This version would probably look nice on a laptop or something, but for a Wii, you need to dumb it down a little and have bigger text and pictures. Good luck fixing this.

• Hi, Sorry for the trouble. The link ( http://www.hulu.com/plus/content ) is currently the best resource for this type of inquiry. All of the content available on Hulu will be there, and you can use the filters (Currently on air, Captions, HD, TV and Movies) to refine and pinpoint your selection.

It’s the easiest way to search through the entire Hulu library. If you have any other questions, or if there’s anything else I can do, just let me know.

Eric C.

• h tegler says:

Searching for shows is a nightmare
    More like aa mystery game
    See if you can guess where the shows are
    Takes many steps
    I would like to find my shows without my hair falling out

• Hi Pat,

Thanks for your comment. I’m sorry for the frustration. I will definitely pass this feedback onto our team here. We’re always excited to hear what folks think about Hulu, so I appreciate the feedback. It helps us shape the service going forward.

Mallory C.

• Pat Williams says:

The HuluPlus interface is dreadful. It is very frustrating trying to find anything. Why didn’t they leave it the way it was? Didn’t HuluPlus ever hear of Focus Groups? or common sense? If there is anything good playing, it is too diabolically difficult to tell.

• Christine Draper says:

I have scanned the comments above and am glad I’m not the only moron who tried to use Hulu Plus. On the old set up I was able to easily find new shows and shows I wanted to watch, but with the new one it’s impossible. I don’t have time to dig through all the Asian programming and anime (sp?). It would be wonderful if there was a filter to take out what you DON’T want to see, i.e. the above mentioned. I will be cancelling this service because of these issues.

• Hi Michele,

Thanks for your comment. I’m sorry for the trouble with the Sony BluRay player interface. Here at Hulu, we’re constantly striving to improve the viewing experience on our supported devices because we love TV and movies just as much as you do. We do appreciate your thoughts and feedback, so we’ll definitely take your feedback to heart and pass them along to our developers, as user input is crucial to helping us improve the service in the future.

Mallory C.

• Michele says:

Just got a streaming Sony BluRay player and have to say I am appalled at how horrible the Hulu interface is with Sony BRAVIA. The queue is a jumble of image blocks and there is no way to tell when new episodes have landed in your queue. The first images I see in my queue are episodes of an old show from 2009!! Granted, that is in my queue but why not list them by date aired….or give us the option! I am totally frustrated. I now check my computer Hulu Plus account to see what in my queue I want to watch so that I can decide what to watch on my TV first. Also, no episode numbers are given on the Sony BRAVIA interface.

Also why the hell did you put a QWERT keyboard with a hunt and peck type letter selection search feature? That is just dumb guys…sorry! Please fix this ASAP as it is seriously diminishing my enjoyment of your fine product.

• Hi there,

Thanks for posting. The Originals is actually a new show on the CW. It looks like only the pilot episode is available and the show is set to air its first season later in the fall. Currently, our agreement with the CW allows us to stream new episodes the day after it airs on traditional TV.

The rights to stream something through the website are different than the rights to stream to smartphones, bluray players or other devices. Some of our content partners only grant us the rights to stream through our site. We realize it’s far more beneficial to have our content across all devices — that benefits both us and our users — so we’re always working to make the service more consistent in terms of content.

I hope this helps. If there’s anything else we can help you with, just let us know!

Daniel W.

• sabirina says:

Was wondering if you were going to be adding more shows like The Originals also why cant you watch cops or the simpsons and you have to go to web only???

• Hi Gabriella, thanks for posting. We appreciate your feedback, as we always are looking to improve our service to suit our customers’ needs. I’m sorry that our layout frustrated you to the point of leaving, but I hope you give us another chance in the future, as our service is always changing and growing.

Best, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Hi there, thanks for posting. I’m sorry to hear you’re disappointed with our search options. We’d be happy to help in any way you can, so if you’d like to let us know any specifics that are bugging you, and on which device, we can address all of your concerns. If you’d like to write in directly for a quicker response, please email us at http://www.hulu.com/support.

Best, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Gabriella says:

Why can’t you guys just design a simple interface? I go to Netflix and I search and find what I want and I play it on my Roku. I love that Hulu has current shows, but I have so much trouble getting the interface to work that I just give up. I went back to Dish because I was so sick of the limitations with Hulu. Dish is a ripoff but at least I can play what I record.

• mh says:

Search capability is almost non-existent so that Hulu Plus is almost unusable, it is so dumbed down. People expect better search capabilities.

• Chris Chidester says:

How come we cannot watch all of the shows on Hulu plus via Roku. We click on some and a notice comes up that says we have to watch this show only on our computer?

• KWP says:

(Nintendo Wii)
    Sure, the last interfaces had its issues, but this is by far the worst and most difficult to use interface yet!

I cannot read the titles of the “artwork”. Movie artwork is meant to be read on posters, not stamps! Why not have a text-driven pop-up with title/description below each highlighted choice? You know, like your red-headed competition uses!

And why is the search function so difficult to use (and see/read)? And once I choose a title from the search results and go ‘back’ my entered text is…GONE. Why?

With over a decade of successful electronic interfaces out there to pull from you could have easily created a killer interface. Instead you decided to just make HuluPlus “prettier” than it was, but you lost key functionality in the process! Now it’s almost too frustrating to use often that it leaves me wondering if it’s ultimately worth the subscription fee. Please listen to our complaints and fix this summer blunder soon!

• SB says:

I really dislike this new interface – enough so that I now avoid using Hulu and am considering cancelling my membership. I hate that I have to click so many times to get an episode to play from my queue (click to open Hulu, go down to the Queue option which doesn’t even show fully on the screen, click to open Queue, scroll to the show, click to open show, scroll to the episode – which now I can only scroll right and not left (more work), click on the episode, then click again to Play Episode). Nothing about that process is user friendly! Put my queue front and center. Let me click on an episode and it plays. Give me some options and control over functionality.

• Kari says:

Hulu, is there any way to go back to the old interface? I use Hulu Plus through my Wii and it is just so hard now to make choices. I am constantly starting a program I don’t want to watch, when I am just trying to navigate on the screen. I have to say that it is such a pain to use now, that I am considering canceling my membership. Watching shows as they happen is just not worth the pain of taking five minutes to get to what I want. Hulu Plus is great, but only if it’s easy. Otherwise the Internet and Netflix Instant suit my vegging out needs just as well.

• Hey Jessica,

I’m sorry for the trouble with our app on the Roku. I know some of the updates may have changed the way the app’s interface looks and functions, but we do appreciate the feedback here. I’ll go ahead and pass this along, as posts like this tend to help shape the service moving forward!

Joe B.

• Hey there,

Thanks for the post. Our site and service will change over time, and we take feedback/opinions into account when doing so. We really do appreciate the feedback, and I apologize
    for any frustration some of the new updates may have caused. If you have any other feedback, good or bad, please let us know!

Joe B.

• Jessica says:

I appreciate the effort to update the Hulu experience for the Roku. But personally I can not stand the new setup. I find the episode titles and the discriptions so small that I can’t read them at all!! I get so discouraged I don’t want to watch Hulu anymore. Please fix the issues! Please!

• JY says:

I know that when some things change it takes a while to get used to and comfortable with the changes. My family has given the new Hulu Plus a good amount of time to adjust to the changes it made. Unfortunately, the changes made are just not user friendly. The end user was not thought of when the new look and feel was developed. The queue is the worst change in the whole setup. There’s far too many places to click on before you get to your desired show. It’s always a guessing game if you are clicking on the right show to start watching. I am not one to complain about changes, but this change has just been frustrating and I don’t see how it has improved the functionality. I hope that based on all of these reviews that Hulu will take some time to listen to its users and make some improvements.

• Hey Gary,

Thanks for posting on our blog! I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration that this Roku update may have caused.

We know we’ve made quite a few changes, and we understand that this can cause some confusion, especially when you’ve become used to a certain layout. If it’s alright with you, I’m going to pass along this feedback to my team. Please let me know if there is anything else you would like to share, good or bad, it’s cool!

Joe B.

• Gary Szabo says:

I know you mean well with your Hulu Plus upgrade on Roku, but I wish there was an option to return to the previous layout, or in someways provide a simpler, cleaner interface. The old one was fast and efficient; the new one, not so much. Watching Hulu Plus on my computer screen is a much more pleasurable interface, even though I prefer to watch on my actual TV via Roku.

I know the stakes are high for a service like Hulu to capture more of the eyeball time in this new world of cord cutting, but I would submit a cluttered and sluggish GUI ain’t it. Thanks, and keep up the good work.

• Thanks Donal, I’m sorry to hear you weren’t finding the Genre lists helpful. We’ll continue to work on helping you browse for content you’d be interested in. Best, Gabe, Hulu Support

• Donal Gavin says:

I find it impossible to find shows on hulu plus. I cant just go to a genre and have a list. You shows put into randomly made categories. Same for TV and Movies. Give us users so options on how we want to view available Movies and TV shows.

• Hi Josh,

Thanks for your comment and feedback. We’re always excited to hear what folks think about Hulu and it helps us shape the service going forward. I’ll pass your feedback to the rest of the team.

If you have any other feedback for us (positive or negative, it’s cool), don’t hesitate to let me know.

Mallory C.

• Josh Collins says:

It amazes me how Hulu still struggles with making a good user interface. I am an interface designer and most of the Roku apps are solid. The old Hulu app was buggy, slow and unintuitive.

I was psyched to hear that there was a new one and after using it for a bit I have to say it is a big step up from the previous one but still really bad.

Who thought of having a search by letter interface at the top. Every time we try to search for a movie or show it takes us forever to spell one of the words using our remote. Do you know how slow it is to push a remote key 20 times to go from the letter T to the letter A? Compared to Netflix which only take 5. Why do your designers torture us!

• TLC says:

While the new site is pretty, it does not work as well for the user (a feeling share by many others that have posted here). When I come to Hulu on the Ruku, I want to access my queue. I want to be able to order my queue (online only is fine for this) and have the shows play (on the Ruku or mobile device) in that order. I am particularly uninterested in how it play the show in my queue (that I have to select, select, select to get to), and when it is done, then plays not the next show in the queue or that I select, but some show I’ve never seen or heard of before. The reason I have stayed with Hulu is the ability to program my television time. The reason I haven’t complained about paying and still having so many commercials is that I was able to program my television time. The reason I am not frustrated by the number of shows that cannot be played on the Roku but have to use the computer is because I could program my television time. That has been taken away which makes Hulu much less useful and desireable. Please make getting to and selecting from the queue easier AND please, once I start playing a show in the queue, let it play through the queue in order from that point until it reaches the end. Thank you.

• Hi Sarah,

Sorry for the frustration. I couldn’t say exactly what’s going on here, but we’re happy to help. We currently have 12 episodes of Late Night With Jimmy Fallon available in Hulu Plus. If you’re not seeing them, it could be that you’re playing them directly from your queue and not from the show page (which you can find by searching for Late Night). For any additional explanation or assistance, please feel free to reach out to our support team directly at ( http://www.hulu.com/support ) and we’ll be eager to help.

Thanks!
    Casey C.

• sarah s says:

I agree with many of the previous frustrated Roku user comments. It’s prettier, but things worked fine before. Also, why can’t I watch the episodes that I missed? For example, Late Night With Fallon- I can only watch the latest episode, not catch up with the last few that I may have missed. This is one of the reasons why I paid extra for HuluPlus, let alone use Hulu at all. I’ve slowly had to let go of many of my shows because I can now only watch them on my laptop, which isn’t useful for me. Perhaps I’m not doing something right, but can I really only watch one episode at a time now with most shows? This is very disappointing, and if this is indeed the case, HuluPlus has become obsolete for myself and many others.

• joe king says:

huluplus needs to upgrade their app on netgear neotv max and put more network channels and add new content they just got $750 million dollars i am just wating to see what going to happen i hope its beeing use on system upgrades because it needs it in the worse kind of way they allways talking about how they can compate with internet tv players but dont wont to listern to any good ideas from their owners fox comcast disney i think this is why they are taking a step backwards insted of forward biggest thing hulu need to do with the money invest in huluplus and get rid of hulu free account because if you give it away then you will never make any money.

• kunocpa says:

I am really excited to see the new set up with the HULU plus update.

• Katie says:

I was excited to see the new set up with the HULU plus update, but after using it for a few months I find it very frustrating. When I want to watch the next episode in a series I have to go back to the original page and search through the episodes, I cant just click to the next one. For that matter when I have auto play on it doesnt just play the next episode in the series, it plays another show hulu thinks is similar. Its hard to find new shows or episodes that are not HULU series. I miss the old hulu, it looks like others do too!

• Marcia says:

I agree with every other commenter who complained about the new Roku interface. I have tried and tried to work with it, but it is so frustrating that I’ve considered dropping HuluPlus entirely. I’m at my wit’s end. The shows in my queue and in my favorites don’t sync with what I’ve placed in those categories online. And the “Shows You Watch” feature? There are several that I’ve never even heard of, let alone watched, and shows I regularly watch don’t appear there. By contrast, Netflix, Amazon, and PBS — the other channels I access regularly — are incredibly easy to use on Roku. You’ve added bells and whistles that have left many of us scratching our heads and wondering why on earth you thought they were a good idea. Keep it simple. When I want to go to a TV show, I just want to go to that show. And it would be really, really nice if the app would take us back to where we left off. I hate, absolutely hate, having to leave HuluPlus to get back into a show on HuluPlus, as Michelle Elwood described in an earlier post. It is completely insane. Oh, and the autoplay feature? It plays shows I’ve never watched or heard of. Add to all of that the overall horrible navigation, the frequent commercials, and the numerous crashes as shows are running, and I’m ready to walk away. I know that software developers generally think that users are simply resistant to change, but that’s not the case with me, nor does it seem to be with some of the other commenters. I gave this a good, solid try. And I hate it.

• Thanks for the notes on your experience with the app! I’d also recommend checking if “Shows You Watch” has any of the shows you’re looking for in the Queue. It’s a quick way to keep track of where you left off, or the newest episode if you’re caught up. It also will remove them from your Queue when you finish, so the Queue stays organized. Thanks, Gabe, Hulu Support

• NN says:

I think the current version of Hulu Plus for Roku 3 is infinitely superior to the original when it comes to looks, loading, playing, starting and stopping videos. I am normally a fan of change,now with that said the new UI is a bit counter intuitive. My queue is the first thing I want to see not movie trailers (that is not what I use Hulu for) and I don’t want to have to go through 6 clicks to get something to play after it took that long to get to my queue. I think the new UI is a good start but still needs some tweaking

• Hi Tim,

Thanks for taking the time to post and for the great feedback. I think your suggestions are excellent, particular for filtered searching, and I would be more than happy to pass the ideas along. That said, TV and Movie content can generally be browsed by a variety of different categories, which might point you in the right direction. On Xbox360, for example, you can select to browse by Popularity, Genre, Network, Recently Aired, and so on. I hope this helps.

Thanks again for the post, and for the great feedback.

Best,
    Daniel R.

• Tim says:

I personally love the new interface for the most part. It’s easy to navigate and get to video options but I DO have a pretty big gripe: Why are television shows listed under Studios in the movie section? That’s SUCH a pain in the but I don’t even know where to begin.

Also, not that it was necessarily updated, maybe you should add an option on the 360 app that allows users to omit shows that aren’t actually available to watch anywhere but on a PC? That and listing clips of shows are my two biggest problems with Hulu Plus right now. I know a lot of work and research has gone into optimizing the navigation experience but I find it funny how much easier it used to be for me to navigate, for example, Netflix before a tile-based interface was created. It seems to me that some simple filters would be great but then you’re probably dealing with lawyers and such due to proper placement, etc.

And they wonder why piracy runs rampant.

Anyway, overall, still like the service but perhaps you should look into adding meaningful filters and make it easier for the user to actually, you know, find what he or she is looking for.

• Jan Studebaker says:

I think the current version of Hulu Plus for Roku is infinitely superior to the original. I believe that most of the negative comments are due to users who simply got used to using the original; change is always difficult. I quit Hulu Plus awhile back due to that terrible user interface. I knew that if Hulu was to prosper they would have to give us a better interface…..they did, and I am rather pleased with the results. I think it should be better, but it is at least somewhat intuitive. My girl friend is however likely to discontinue using it because it is not even close to as intuitive as Netflix for instance. I will be keeping Hulu Plus due to the new interface.

• Katie says:

These new changes are awful! The screens are very difficult to navigate and it takes SO long to find shows now!! The old way was much easier, simpler, and better all around. I am usually pretty open to change and progress, but this is definitely a step backwards!

• jb says:

I used to, for an example, watch a family guy season and after one episode ended it would say the next one is getting ready to start in so many seconds but now I have to hit play on every new episode. What happened and why will it not just play one after the other?

• 2