New Asian Titles on Hulu and Hulu Plus

May 14th, 2013 by Sarah Craig

In celebration of Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month, Hulu is adding some new and exciting titles to its Chinese, Japanese and Korean libraries.

Launching today are several entertaining Korean dramas, such as My Sassy Girl (dir. Jae-Young Kwaek), 200 Pounds Beauty (Young-Hwa Kim), and action drama Crying Fist (Seung-Wan Ryoo with Oldboy’s Min-Sik Choi). And just in time for the 2013 Cannes Film Festival, prior year Cannes selections Hahaha, Virgin Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors (Sang-Soo Hong), and A Brand New Life (Ounie Lecomte), all from Korea, are now available on Hulu and Hulu Plus.

The famed Oldboy trilogy is available on Hulu Plus until June 30th. The sci-fi cult classic is about a man determined to find his kidnapper who imprisoned him for 15 years. The film has been recognized at numerous festivals, and took home the Grand Prize of the Jury at Cannes in 2004.  Enter the world of director Chan-Wook Park with Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance.

New Chinese dramas, such as Love In a Puff (Ho-Cheung Pang), The Soul Of Bread (Pin-Chuan Kao), and Don’t Go Breaking My Heart (Johnnie To) made their Hulu debut in the Chinese film category as well.

Continue your journey into cinematic history with the Criterion Collection, which features masterpieces by Akira Kurosawa, Masaki Koboyashi and Nagisa Oshima, among many others. Brand new Criterion titles never before seen on DVD are coming exclusively to Hulu soon, so stay tuned.

Experiencing Asian titles can be as simple as adventuring through one of our many categorized playlists, such as New Asian Films on Hulu, Chinese or Korean Dramas and A Beginner’s Guide to Korean Dramas. And, if you are just in the mood for some action-packed brawls, check out the Asian Fight Films tray to get your fix without having to leave your couch.

This summer it is easy to escape to Asia with Hulu and Hulu Plus.

• Jessy says:

Would love to be able to see some shows that are web only on other devices. Have tablets, smartphones and game consoles at home that make for a better viewing experience than a laptop even if it’s hooked up to the tv. Get me project runway, please?

• I’m so happy to see My Sassy Girl on the list.

• Melvin Keelen says:

I really do enjoy Hulu and everything it has to order but I just have one problem you see I love watching Hulu plus on my big screen tv but I hate that some old shows only show in a 4:3 ratio aspect instead of a 16:9 ratio aspect.I would like Hulu to add a feature that can stretch or re-size the image to fill a widescreen HDTV at a 16:9 stretch at least.Adding a button to activate this feature would be nice.

• topdiablo3 says:

• rick brantell says:

what happened to the list of shows from A-Z also I can’t add a show to favorites anymore and if it’s a show already aired I have to add each episode to que one by one the navigation sucks can you imagine have to add 800 episodes of SNL one at a time get off your butts and change it back you have all those sucky twitter and facebook tabs but no add to favorites like someone cares what I’m watching now

• Tami Norton says:

Please get Ten Wolf season 3, you got me hooked and now have left me hanging. I also would like to see all the seasons of Instant Star. You should let all the episodes of shows be available is this not what we are paying for. THANKS

• Hi Vanessa, great suggestion! I’ll be sure to pass it onto our team!

Cheers, Alexa, Hulu Support

• vanessa says:

Please add any TV movie or episode of The Waltons I love ths show!

• Don says:

I wish you would list when the movie or tv show was in a Non-English language.and if there are subtitles.