It’s a Brand New Style for Hulu Plus on Apple TV

March 19th, 2013 by Dave Herman Senior Product Manager, Living Room

At Hulu’s development center in Seattle, we spend our time focusing on making the Hulu Plus living room experience delightful for our subscribers. We’ve redesigned the Hulu Plus experience from the ground up – making it even easier to find your favorite current season TV episodes and discover a new favorite show.

Right away, you’ll notice we’ve added content categories across the top navigation bar to make it easy to for you to jump to your chosen section – whether it is TV, Kids, Latino, Search, or something else. Inside each category, you’ll discover what’s new in our content library so it’s easy to discover new shows and keep up with the shows you already love. You can also jump into your favorite shows right away with the “Shows You Watch” tray. We built this to make sure you never miss a new episode or lose your place in a series.

When redesigning the experience, we looked for ways to grant you instant access to exactly what you want to watch. Once you decide on the show you want to watch, simply press the “Play” button and the latest episode of the series will automatically start playing.

While your favorite episode or clip is playing, hold down the “Select” button until Subtitles and Audio appears to turn on captions.

You have to be running the latest firmware to get this new experience and captions. If you are unsure, go to “Settings” on the Apple TV home screen and under “General” choose “Update Software.”

To start watching Hulu Plus shows instantly, find “Hulu Plus” on the Apple TV home screen. If you are a Hulu Plus subscriber, simply enter your username and password to start streaming last night’s episode of Modern Family from the biggest screen in the house.

If you do not have a Hulu Plus account, you can easily sign-up two ways:

1. Go to www.huluplus.com/appletv and register online.  Launch Hulu Plus on your Apple TV, log in with your new credentials and start streaming.

2.  Create a Hulu Plus account directly through Apple TV by using your existing iTunes account and following the sign up instructions on the screen.  If you sign up for Hulu Plus through Apple TV, you will be emailed instructions on how to complete your registration so you can use Hulu Plus on all other supported devices.  After your free 1-week trial ends, your iTunes Account will be charged $7.99 per month as a recurring transaction.

For those of you who are new to the service, Hulu Plus is the only online premium video subscription that streams current and classic TV programming on demand from hundreds of content partners, including top broadcast networks ABC, NBC, FOX, The CW and Univision. Hulu Plus subscribers can watch on any enabled devices for $7.99/month with limited advertising. For many popular shows on our service, Hulu Plus offers every episode of the current season. Hulu Plus subscribers also have access to back seasons and full runs of some of TV’s greatest shows, including many that were not available online before, in HD whenever possible.

I hope you are as excited as we are about this updated experience. Let us know what you think!

• Sorry about that… Instead of sharing your account info here, it may be best to get in touch with us at hulu.com/support or support@hulu.com so we can take a look and figure out what may be going on. If you want to give it a try first, you can do a password reset at http://www.hulu.com/forgot. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!
    Charlie

• Mary says:

I updated my apple tv and now no matter how many times I try to sign in it says invalid. I checked my password and email to make sure it was correct and it is. I pay for hulu so I can watch it on my apple tv and so do my friends. They cannot log on either. How do I do it?

• Hey Nick,

We’ve got all of the episodes for Season 2 of Revenge here http://www.hulu.com/revenge. You’ll want to hurry up because fall is coming soon!

Best,
    Aimee

• Nick says:

Is season two of revenge out

• Hi Stan,

Sorry for the trouble with your queue on your Apple TV. Normally, the reason for this is because you’ve added web-only content to your queue, which do not appear on devices other then your computer. Each device requires it’s own streaming right and we’re working hard to attain them but it does take time. You can verify this by checking on a computer the availability notes on the series homepage just below the show banner.

I hope that helps!

Rachel D.

• Stan says:

Why don’t I get the same queue on Apple TV as I have the website?

• Hi Kelly,

Sorry about the trouble there. We’re always trying to secure the rights to stream content to more devices than just the computer. Sometimes, the content provider only agrees to stream to computers though, unfortunately. We hope to expand our Hulu Plus selection regularly.

• kelly c says:

When can we expect more shows on hulu plus on apple TV? So utterly disappointed with the minimal selection online. Why offer it when majority of the popular shows are unavailable??

• Hi Rachel, thanks for posting. I’m very sorry to hear that you were disappointed in our selection. We work with networks to get the rights to stream their content, and unfortunately at this time we do not have the rights to every episode of every show. That being said, we do have a large selection of current-season content from a number of networks. We’ve also got some Hulu Exclusive Series, which is what the East Los High would fall under. I understand that you’d like to cancel since we do not have what you’re looking for, and I hope this little bit of background helps!

Best, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Rachel says:

I am really disappointed in Hulu plus on Apple TV. The limited content make this such a ripoff. The shows available are truly pathetic….like what the hell is East Los High???? Definitely canceling our subscription. Netflix will be good enough for me.

• Kasey says:

Hi, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog in Ie, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it
    has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, terrific blog!

• So it’s great to make sure your child is protected this summer. There are several ways in which you can market your toy products. Many wooden toys were also located in the tombs of the Egyptian youngsters.

• Krystal says:

Quality content is the main to invite the people to pay a quick visit the website, that’s what this web page is providing.

• Thanks Clea, Some content is only available for streaming on a desktop or laptop computer if we aren’t able to extend the streaming rights to TV devices like Apple TV. I’m sorry if this was disappointing. If there are any other questions we can help with as you decide, please reach out at ( http://www.hulu.com/support ). Thanks, Gabe, Hulu Support

• Clea Carchia says:

HULU PEOPLE PLEASE READ: I just recently canceled my cable and got AppleTV. I was very excited and eagerly bought my Hulu Plus, expecting it to be like it is on the Internet. I am so disappointed. I am paying more and getting less. I think I’m just going to cancel and just hook my laptop up to my tv. It’s more of a hassle because I can’t use the remote, but what does it matter if I can’t see any of my shows? Make it like a DVR or TiVo where it will automatically “record” the shows that a viewer wants and ill come back. Too bad, there’s a lot of potential here that is not being realized. It’s not user friendly at all.

• Hello! I just would like to give you a huge thumbs up
    for the excellent information you’ve got here on this post. I’ll be returning to your web site for
    more soon.

• hi!,I really like your writing very much! percentage we keep
    up a correspondence extra approximately your post on AOL? I need a specialist on this area to solve my problem.
    May be that’s you! Having a look ahead to look you.

• Hi James,

Hulu Plus is only available in the United States. We don’t have the rights to stream content internationally, unfortunately. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

Michael B.

• James says:

I live in London and I just recently bought the new Apple TV, Hulu Plus is not available on the home screen, what do I do to get Hulu plus to work on my device?

• Tom says:

I noticed with the upgrade that some episodes are missing. To the point you have to actually do a search for them. Also how do you filter shows to just watch clips. Where did all the clips go or the menu to just watch clips?

• Robbie T says:

Having since lost a little interest in the Apple TV itself because of the lack of availability to install stuff on it I checked out the latest updates to Hulu Plus…It definitely is a great improvement, good job!

• Elena says:

Hey guys,

Big thumbs up from Criterion Collection folks – they mentioned great things about Apple TV design upgrade.

• Jeff says:

I really don’t understand the logic of much of the new design. Especially the fact that the queue is so many clicks away and then once a user gets to the the queue, only a partial list appears that has to be scrolled through horizontally one click at a time. Huh? Is the queue feature really something that is hardly used? I certainly don’t need multiple lines and images dedicated to my History. Perhaps users like watching the same thing over and over again and that’s the reasoning? Not sure. At any rate, I’d love it if they queue returned to full page with scrolling blocks. It was much easier to navigate and quite frankly, aesthetically, WAY more attractive.

• Red Baron says:

The update for apple tv makes it more difficult for me to access my queue. Previously my queue filled a whole page and I could easily navigate to any show. Now my queue is just one row and I have to move from show to show in order. The history fills the whole page and is easier to navigate. I rarely care what is in my history. I have more need to navigate my queue than history. Thus, I have stopped using the app. Please fix.

• Hi Adam, while we certainly hope to expand our app onto the Google TV, we do not currently support that device at this time. At this time, I have no timeline to share, but thank you for letting us know about your interest in seeing us on the Google TV!

Best,
    Alexa

• Adam says:

Will there ever be a Google TV app?

• Keith says:

Is there any way to make the Queue option first or second? I have to scroll past Kids and Latino, two sections I will never use, just to get to my queue. Also, why do I have to keep scrolling to the right to see my entire queue now? Right below the single line for my queue, there’s five rows of History, stuff I’ve already watched. I’d rather have my unwatched shows front and center. I fail to see the logic here.

• William says:

Your tv shows are decent but Netflix offers so much more content even if you have to wait a year for a newer season to be added. Your movies are laughable at best. First off you should pay me to watch that crap!!! The only reason I have kept my Hulu plus going is the new tv seasons but guess what, pretty little liars ( nope ) deadliest catch ( nope ) csi Las Vegas ( nope ). Seems like the only stuff you get is throwaway shows or network shows that are trying to move up in ratings. Not interested, more content less bull shit, this is sad. 7.99 I could buy a decent show and still have extra cash on amazon!

• Hi Terrie,

Thanks for trying Hulu Plus! We also appreciate the time you’ve taken to give us your feedback. Our developers are always working to refine and improve our apps, and I’ll be sure to share your feedback with our team.

I’m sorry for the long post, but I’d like to thoroughly address your concerns. The limited advertising in Hulu Plus allows us to license content from the current TV season. As this content isn’t available on DVD or syndication—it is very expensive to license! Also, we are very passionate about keeping our service at its current $7.99 monthly price-point.

I hope this helps to explain things, and I hope you keep your eye on us as we continue to refine and improve our service. I do hope you’ll think we’re worth another look someday soon!

Daniel

• Terrie says:

As an older viewer (late 50′s) I find Hulu nearly impossible to navigate. I am paid up until April 11th and will be cancelling my subscription at that time. There is only one show I am watching on it. The ads are annoying and it takes me 10 minutes to find my show and another 5 to find the last episode I watched. I’m going back to Netflix. Much easier to navigate!

• Frank says:

I guess you haven’t made a blog post about it, but the new front-page topper is hideous, in both its aesthetics and content. It looks like a tabloid.

I’m sure you gather enough stats on Hulu users to know whether we really care about celebrity news; I hope you’ve made an error in crunching the numbers…

• Dan says:

Also, why do Movies, Kids, and Latino come before Queue? I’ve never watched a movie on Hulu Plus — I do the movie watching via Apple because that’s where the new movies are. I don’t have kids. I don’t speak spanish. Why do I have to scroll past these every time I use the app?

I’m really disappointed by this update.

• Dan says:

The new Queue experience is a really severe degradation of user experience. The Queue view is basically the only view I want to see when I go to the app. And it’s now a long horizontal line such that I can’t, in one glance, see what’s available. I have to scroll through it and remember what I saw before.

I don’t get the large amount of screen real estate dedicated to History. I’ve already watched those shows. I don’t want to see them again. It’s a distraction. Unless I haven’t finished the episode, I don’t want to see it.

• Hi Joseph, thanks for writing in. Unfortunately at this time the auto play feature not yet available on the Apple TV. We understand how useful this feature is for many of our viewers, so we definitely have that in mind as we continue updating our app on all devices. I hope this helps clarify!

Best, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Bryan says:

I now find it easier to just go to Hulu Plus on my laptop to see what I want to watch and then go to my Apple box.
    I’m sure that was not your intention.

• Johnny says:

I would rather have access to more content than a redesign. It’s always a licensing excuse. How about putting more effort into your licensing department. Or is the smoke and mirrors suppose to distract us?

• Bryan says:

You’ve screwed up my queue!
    There’s only one line and it’s now alphabetical. I have a hundred shows in my queue and now have to scroll forever to find any new episodes.
    And yet you have five lines showing me what I’ve already watched.
    It’s definitely NOT an improvement!

• Ivan Edelman Edelman says:

What have you done to the Criterion film lists on Hulu+? We could see all of the titles on the old display, while it is impossible to do so with this “upgrade”. I am using Apple TV to access Hulu+. The new display is a mess!

• What’s up to all, since I am genuinely eager of reading this website’s
    post to be updated on a regular basis. It contains good stuff.

• If some one wishes to be updated with latest technologies therefore he must be visit this site and be up to date daily.

• I am not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic.
    I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
    Thanks for great info I was looking for this information for
    my mission.

• Hi there, every time i used to check weblog posts here early in the daylight, as
    i like to gain knowledge of more and more.

• Mick says:

Any time you include a list of my favorite shows, if you don’t include a badge, it’s completely useless.

• Mick says:

I have quite a few things in my queue but the new version won’t let me scroll past the J’s. I would really like a reverse chrono view for the queue. Grid view would be even better.

• Joseph says:

Has auto-play been added?

• LD says:

I’m not a fan of the new queue display. It’s alphabetical (and actually incorrect as it doesn’t handle “the” in the show title properly) whereas before it was chronological. Can you elaborate as to the reason why this decision was made? I much preferred chronological.

Further, the queue is now one, very long in my case, horizontal line. This makes scrolling to the show you want to watch inefficient as you must go through ALL shows if it’s at the end. A grid as before allowed me to skip in blocks. Can you also elaborate on the decision to make my queue now only a very small part of the UI and more difficult to scroll through?

• Joe Schmoe says:

You’ve increased the number of clicks necessary to get to an item in my queue from a minimum of 4 (after entering the Hulu Plus app in the first place) to a minimum of 10. How is this an improvement? I appreciate the ability to hit play to get the most recent episode for a show, but for anybody relying on their queue, this new interface is a BIG step backward.

• John says:

Looks good :) The xbox app could use some work though, it’s so hard to rewind without skipping the whole thing.

• Jason says:

I am really not happy with this update. I can’t browse all shows alphabetically anymore. This was a great way to discover shows that I would have otherwise not known about. It is much more difficult now. There is no browse a-z whether you choose to search by genre or if you want to see all shows a-z/ Please bring back this feature. It is a mess right now and impossible to browse or keep track of your browsing as there is little organization.

• Jason says:

I do not like this upgrade at all! I can’t find all shows a-z and as a result find it hard to discover unknown shows. Please add a menu for us to browse all shows alphabetically. Thanks.

• joe says:

if you was fair then you would have upgraded all devices what are you doing this not about apple right now it about getting all devices that did”t get a upgrade please upgrade the rest of the devices!!

• Bart says:

I hope you also fixed overall performance of moving from screen to screen and back. It seems like Hulu has to re-download or re-fresh the content even if I am moving back to a page I was on before. It should be cached, like a browser back button, so I don’t have to see that spinner telling me Hulu is getting content (and I pay for Time Warner’s highest speed, so I’m sure this is a bigger issue for you normal users).

• Michael says:

Thanks for adding captions! That was my biggest “want” from Hulu Plus.

• Mike says:

Thanks for the improvements! The number of clicks to get an episode playing was kind of crazy before.

• Noureddine daira says:

Many thanks for this new interface, you also add subtitle on Apple TV !

• joe king says:

you guys think you smart you go hear and upgrade apple interface but wont upgrade other devices with this new look dont get me worng i like the new look but you know what i think of huluplus you guys are full of bull#%&* if going to do it do it right what i wont to see now that new interface look on every device!!