An Update.

March 14th, 2013 by Jason Kilar CEO

Earlier today, I sent the below email to the Hulu team:

Team -

As you all know, I will be departing Hulu at the end of this quarter. I wanted to share the news that Andy Forssell will be stepping up to lead Hulu as acting CEO after I depart later this month.  You know Andy well; he’s been a critical senior executive and has been here from the start of this great adventure. Andy exemplifies the Hulu culture and has been central to Hulu’s journey, helping to grow this company from 2 content partners and no revenue to over 450 content partners and approximately $700 million revenue in 2012. In his role, Andy has built strong relationships with many of our Board members. Andy has the Board’s strong support in leading the team during this important time.

Disney and News Corporation are currently finalizing their forward-looking plans with Hulu, and the senior team has been working closely with them in that process. Once the plans are finalized, a permanent decision will be made regarding the CEO position.

As I mentioned to you all at the beginning of this year, Hulu’s focus remains on delivering a fantastic 2013 for customers and shareholders. Hulu is well on its way, with new records being set in Q1 across both revenue and subscriber additions.  The unwavering focus on delighting Hulu’s customers is clearly showing up in the outputs of the business.

Jason

Last comment: Apr 15th 2014 13 Comments
  • Robi Dugan says:

I was just curious why I’m not receiving Jay Leno and Jimmy Fallon in my favorites any more, did they already change? I’d hate to see them go away completely :(

• I’m now not sure the place you’re getting your information, but great topic.
    I must spend some time finding out more or working out more.

Thank you for great information I used to be in
    search of this info for my mission.

• If you would like to get a great deal from this paragraph then you have to apply these strategies to your won weblog.

• technology says:

We are fascinated and thinking about what you will be covering below.

• jl says:

I have been trying your one week free trial normally not one to complain but I believe I will stick with netflix same price absolutely no adds and thus far far better streaming. If they can give add free viewing to there customers for 8 bucks a month why can’t hulu. Its a shame hulu cannot be more competitive in there market.

• Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the feedback. Our content team is always hard at work to get the rights to more TV shows and movies. I hope we can offer you more episodes of Fairytale someday soon!

The limited advertising we feature in Hulu Plus allows us to license our valuable (and expensive to produce) content from the current TV season. Also, we’re very passionate about keeping our monthly price-point affordable. Also, while we have the same amount of ad breaks, I’m sure you’ll find that their duration is far shorter than that of broadcast TV!

Still, we’re always considering ways to refine and improve our service and I’ll be certain to share your feedback with our team. I hope you’ll enjoy future updates to Hulu Plus.

Daniel

• Carlos J Garrido says:

Yea i was hopeing for you guys to Focus alittle more on staying up to Date with some anime shows becouse i watch Fairytale and you guys are like 100+ episodes behind ..and When do you guys think you will have the Option to have no Ads on hulu wouldnt mind paying a lil more for that but other then that you guys are a 4*/5* ;D

• Hi Dean,

Thank you for writing in, and taking the time to let us know how you feel about Hulu Plus. I’d love to clarify a few things, and help in any way I can. Our developers have been hard at work, and we are proud to support Android version 4.0.4 or higher on select devices. If your Android phone meets this requirement, you’ll be able to download and use the Hulu Plus app from Google Play! If you are not able to upgrade your device to version 4.0.4 or are not able to download the app from Google Play, I’m afraid you won’t be able to use Hulu Plus on your device.

I’m sorry to say that not all our content is available for TV and mobile devices. It is our goal to make all of our content available for devices, but unfortunately due to content rights issues, we are not able to include all of the content you find on the free Hulu.com service on devices as well. As far as shows being available day-after-air, while this option is available for a large number of our shows, we unfortunately do not have the rights to show programs from each network under the same guidelines. For this reason, we include availability notes on each show’s page (i.e. http://www.hulu.com/love-and-hip-hop).

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to let us know!

Best, Alexa Hulu Support

• dean says:

Idk if I’m writing this in the right area but I am a customer to Netflix and I noticed that they really don’t have any good tv shows on there so I decided to take a chance on “NEXT DAY TV” Hulu which in my opinion is completely false! Everything that Hulu advertises is false to me. Let me un down the list… 1. If I would have known I couldn’t watch from my android phone that qouldve been my first red flag not to continue with Hulu… 2. Majority of the shows that I want to watch are WEB ONLY! so that means I have to sit in front of a computer…. 3. Not one show has been aired next DAY!!!!! I watch love and hiphop by Vh1 and it is currently 3 episodes behind…. Maybe I missed something as to an updated or something but my husband like Hulu and I would definitely like to keep this service please fix my issues!

• lamont singley says:

Andy has no taste!!! It appears I type to fast for him too!!! Read faster you overpaid …!

• lamont singley says:

All the foul drivel you cn stomach for just $10 a month! what a deal!

• Best of luck sir, Hulu will surely fall to pieces in your absence. I’m expecting a never-ending wave of advertising to make it nearly impossible to watch anything. After all, we’re not all that far from it already…

Hulu
    Ads in Feb: 1,437,113
    ads per user avg 61.3 (highest in the list, second being 23.1)
    % of US population reached 7.6 (according to comScore)

• michael says: