Introducing Hulu Kids: A New Section on Hulu Plus That Kids Will Love

November 8th, 2012 by Rebecca Harper Editor

It all started with a friendly tank engine named Thomas.

With current-season hits from Nickelodeon and past favorites from PBS and Lionsgate, including “Thomas & Friends,” “Caillou,” and “SpongeBob SquarePants” now available commercial-free to Hulu Plus subscribers, the Hulu team knew that we wanted to highlight all of this content in a better way for kids.

After all, we love these shows just as much as your kids do. And so we’ve decided to showcase this content (at 43 shows and counting!) in a new section called Hulu Kids. Now it’s easy for kids to access their favorite shows on Hulu Plus: Just point your browser to www.hulu.com/kids or click on “Kids” within our Browse menu. All of the videos and recommended content within Hulu Kids are restricted to commercial-free children’s programming.

For Hulu Plus subscribers logged in on the Hulu website, Hulu Kids features our popular “Shows You Watch” tray so little ones can quickly jump to their favorite shows. There are categories to browse, like “Dino Time” for videos featuring “Barney” and the lovable reptiles from “Dinosaur Train,” and “Cartoon Favorites” for shows like “Arthur” and “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles“. (Yep, they’re back.) You can also scroll through shows from Nickelodeon and PBS, or simply browse through all of our shows in a grid format.

The launch of Hulu Kids comes with a new round of updates for the PlayStation 3. This release brings Hulu Kids to the living room, letting your family enjoy the same commercial-free children’s shows from your couch. For those who use a Blu-ray remote with the PS3, you can use that remote with the Hulu Plus app as well.

If you are not already a Hulu Plus subscriber, you can sign up for one week free to check out the offering on Hulu Kids (plus all of the other perks). In addition to great current season programming from top networks and the new Hulu Kids section, Hulu Plus also offers ad-supported family-friendly programming in our “Family” genre.

Whether you’re a parent or just obsessed with “Robot and Monster” like me, check out Hulu Kids today and let us know what you think!

• joe daleo says:

PS3 Remote broken on HuluPlus after last release…seems like basic testing would have caught this

• Peter Demel says:

Thanks for sharing.
    In my opinion computer games are nothing for kids, but each has his own experience to do, and you can learn what is to do with it.

• I’m amazed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s equally educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The issue is something not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this during my hunt for something relating to this.

• RT says:

Will you be updating the Roku application to have a distinct Kids section tab at the bottom? Right now you still have to search for all the shows individually.

• Rich says:

To Christopher and Nick,

People pay $100+ for their cable and satellite subscriptions, and what do they get…ads. In fact, they get TONS of ads. Like 5 times the amount of ads you watch on Hulu Plus. So I say, lets all drop this stupid “I pay $8 a month for Hulu Plus, I shouldn’t have ads”.

• Nick Lancster says:

Christopher Roeszler has it right. Ad free for everyone please. Hulu even runs ads on PBS shows for god’s sake.

• Hi Shannara,

All the shows mentioned in this post or in the Kids section have episodes available on Hulu Plus. You can check them out by visiting their show page or ( http://www.hulu.com/kids ) to see all the shows in this section.

I hope this helps!

• S. K. says:

Glad to see this.
    But I would really love to see a hulu kids app… one that ONLY accesses and displays shows from a queue that the parents have set up. The fact of the matter is some shows on the kids section are still not quite something I want my young kids watching.. whether it be slightly more violent, crude, or just annoying.
    With the current Hulu Kids, you still have to go through the hulu app to get to the kids section. So I would want to see an app specifically for kids… one they can access which only provides them the shows from a queue that the parents create.
    Hulu would be way ahead of the market if they did that and it would definitely attract a lot of business from families with young kids!

• Shannara says:

Any news on when you are actually provide episodes for these tv series? Still haven’t full filled the hulu plus features since it was launched.

• Christopher Roeszler says:

OK, I admit I like this idea. Commercial free is a bonus for the kids too, especially because it keeps them from asking mommy and daddy for that new toy they just saw while watching their show.

Now, if you’d be so kind as to implement commercial free for all shows when watched with an account that has a Hulu Plus subscription, you’d find ever more people would be happy.