Explore the new Hulu Plus on PlayStation 3

September 10th, 2012 by Daniel Bear Principal Software Development Lead

It’s been two years since Hulu Plus first launched in living rooms across the U.S. via PlayStation 3 —
but we didn’t stop there. Since then, we’ve kept our promise to never stop innovating. Our team of passionate engineers in Hulu’s Seattle office has been hard at work, taking your feedback to build the latest entertainment experience for your living room.

I’m excited to announce that the new and improved Hulu Plus experience rolls out today on PlayStation 3. Designed to help you get to the shows you watch faster than ever before, the new experience includes larger, more vivid artwork and is easier to navigate.

We’ve implemented a tray-style format that allows you to scroll through recommendations based on your viewing history, or check out popular shows and movies, the top 100 clips on Hulu Plus, movie trailers and more.

We’ve included a “Shows You Watch” feature that highlights the content you regularly enjoy and lets you jump straight to the latest episode.

The updated search experience provides a simple way to find content with results that appear directly beneath the search.

When you select a show, you’ll have access to all of the episodes and clips in one place. If it’s a show you’ve watched before, you can pick up right where you left off.

The latest update also features simplified playback, with clean, intuitive controls: press up or down to display a playback menu, or left or right to fast-forward or rewind.

To get started, go to PlayStation’s “TV/Video Services” in the cross media bar, install the new Hulu Plus app in the “My Channels” section and start watching your favorite current season TV today for only $7.99/month. If you’re new to Hulu Plus, you can sign up for a free one-week trial at www.huluplus.com/ps3promo.

PlayStation 3 is the first living room platform we are rolling out the new Hulu Plus experience on, so please take it for a spin and let us know what you think. We hope you enjoy it.

• joe daleo says:

The new release breaks the Sony Remote. How does something like that get out the door? It’s a friggin 30 second test!!

I need a date of resolution, fix it or back it out. Or on Jan.1, I go to your competition and cancel my account.

• Michael Henson says:

I am not a big fan that the PS3 DVD remote has been disabled with the new update of the PS3 app.

• Hi there, I’m sorry for the trouble. Have you tried any troubleshooting? I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the app. I hope this helps! Thanks, Hulu Support

• FIX IT!!! says:

This app on PS3 is garbage. What’s the point of having it if it rarely works?! When switching from screen to screen it BARELY populates. When it does it only shows a few things and everything else is blank! Sometimes clicking on things leads you to a blank page all together! It freezes after running a few episodes. Have to constantly restart the app…..I’m just over it and will be canceling after this month.

• Good post! We are linking to this great article on
    our site. Keep up the great writing.

• Kaminomoto says:

If you are going for finest contents like me, simply go
    to see this web site daily because it offers feature contents, thanks

• Whichever method best suits you and your family is dependent upon your personal preference and photography needs.
    This is a very valuable tool when shooting wildlife photography.
    The battery life with heavy use is about 2-3 weeks and it
    takes 4 “AAA” batteries.

• Hi to all, the contents present at this website are genuinely awesome for
    people experience, well, keep up the good work fellows.

• site web says:

Gday! My name is Abbie and I really just desired to say your blog site rocks!
    It truly is surprising due to the fact I use
    to have a blog website that practically had an identical url: http:
    //blog.hulu.com/2012/09/10/explore-the-new-hulu-plus-on-playstation-3/ mine was only a few characters different.
    Nonetheless, I am a big supporter of your blogging
    site and if you at any time want a guest write-up please
    email me personally at: abbiecronin@googlemail.

com. I absolutely adore writing!

• Hmm is anyone else having problems with the pictures on this
    blog loading? I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it’s
    the blog. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

• moving says:

Sports are amazing -and being able-bodied to know if these risks differed by place.
    Another side dish was a 73-yard run to the recipient.

• Wow, incredible weblog format! How lengthy have you ever been blogging for?
    you made blogging look easy. The entire glance of your
    website is excellent, let alone the content!

• We stumbled over here coming from a different web address and thought I might as well check things out.
    I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to looking into your web page again.

• Hi Riley,

Thanks for the post. My apologies for the trouble you’ve been running into. In order for us to better assist you, please contact us directly at ( http://www.hulu.com/support ) with the type of device you are streaming on. When you contact us, if you could also include your network speed test results, which you can gather at ( http://www.speedtest.net ) by selecting Begin Test.

Daniel R.

• Hi there,

Thanks for the post. My apologies for the trouble you’ve been running into with our new Roku app interface. I’ll be sure to pass the feedback along accordingly, as nothing we do occurs in a vacuum here. We’ve tried to create a user friendly and efficient app that best highlights our content, but I’m sure things will continue to evolve moving forward. In the meantime, I recommend taking a look at our help article about these changes: ( http://goo.gl/Plf0O ). If you wouldn’t mind, I’d also like you to head to ( http://www.speedtest.net ) to run a quick test of your network connection. Select Begin Test, and take note of the download, upload, and ping results. We require a download speed of 1.5Mbps or higher for standard definition content, and 3.0Mbps or higher for HD content. We also expect a ping result of less than 50ms.

For further troubleshooting of the issue you’ve been running into, please contact us directly at ( http://www.hulu.com/support ).

Daniel R.

• riley says:

I cancelled my netflix and planed on switching to hulu plus but my free trial week isn’t even over and I am already fed up. It repeats scenes and buffers constantly. It loads about 3 times per sentence. I have paused it for over an hour and it makes no difference. I looked up the problem and completed all the recommend actions, still no change. It also frezzes a lot. I tried to watch a 40 min episode and it took almost 4 hours. At least I found out before I paid for it. I was really looking forward to hulu plus because it has some of my favorite shows but its not worth the headache looks like its back to netflix for me.

• Jeffry Andino says:

I love HuluPlus on the ps3 and the only feature that needs is a way to control the application that does not involve the ps3 controller. make a way to navigate content using smartphone. tablet etc.

• K James says:

About a week ago, Hulu Plus automatically “upgraded” on my Roku box. Not pleasing. The menu itself is buggy. as I try to scroll, I click the control, nothing happens for a moment, and then it reluctantly does what I want. It’s less intuitive, and it takes longer to get around on it. Occasionally as I’m watching a program, it freezes, which means powering down and rebooting Roku. (Actually that’s a problem I had before this bloated upgrade. Thought I’d bring it up now though.) I do like the programs that are available via Hulu Plus, and for this reason I’m going to keep it (for now), but I would like to go back to what I had before this unfortunate upgrade. I don’t care about the new and improved artwork. It doesn’t make for easier navigation. It just means more scrolling.

On another note: What’s with the “web only” content? In otherwords, I can only watch something on my laptop instead of on a real screen? Disappointing.

• Jason Holt says:

I like the new PS3 streaming app and the availability of my programs from multiple streaming sources (laptop, iphone, ipad, etc) is awesome and makes the monthly cost worthwhile. On the other hand, it’s very buggy, locks up frequently, and has to be reinstalled occasionally. I never see such problems from Netflix streaming, occasionally see it with Amazon, but Hulu is the buggiest of the three. But also keep in mind that the minimal monthly cost ($8.00) is a fraction of what it could cost if you tried to stream new episodes from Amazon. You can essentially watch unlimited entire seasons for $8.00 a month; whereas with amazon you’d have to pay for each episode (until it makes it to Prime). For me, this basically makes Hulu nearly a “free service”. So for all those haters, please keep in mind what you are actually getting for your money worth.

• Hi Michael,

Thanks for your post. I’m very sorry for the trouble. In order to best assist you, please contact us through our Support Form ( http://www.hulu.com/support ).

We look forward to hearing from you, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!

Russ

• Michael says:

Only shows 1 season and constantly repeats scenes also take to long to load i am about to cancel my subscription

• Kevin says:

Is there a way to get the old app back?

One other thing. Every time i set my controller down after starting a show the R1 or R2 button gets pushed and it starts moving forward or backwards in the show. This is annoying. is there any way you can limit the control access in the app to just the control pad and X, O, Triangle and Square buttons?

Oh yeah and all of the other buggy stuff that you guys haven’t fixed in the above comments.

• adam says:

what a disappointment. Decided to try out huluplus after getting a 40 dollar gift card to bestbuy. At this point im cutting my losses and just going back to netflix. I was thrilled to see the show selection online and then when i log into my ps3 to watch i find “online only” Not only that but there are commercials!? What a joke. Im not sure what deal hulu made with advertisers but Netflix is doing much more for the same amount.

• Ally Ash says:

Just d/led for the PS3….not impressed, constantly freezing. Just makes me want to log back into netflix. We will be cancelling after the first week.

• Jer says:

If Hulu wanted to make a tray-style simplified interface for game stations, that’s fine, but why did they have to force all the rest of us to have to use the same interface, which is FAR LESS FUNCTIONAL than the old one, for people who use actual COMPUTERS, and who don’t mind actually READING a few words at a time?

• Hi there, thanks for posting! I’m sorry to hear about the playback trouble and would be happy to help. When you can, please log out from the Hulu app, then delete the app from your PS3, and power cycle your device by unplugging both your PS3 and internet modem from power for one full minute. Once everything is plugged back in and running, please download the app again, and log back in. If that doesn’t help, please write into us at hulu.com/support so I can investigate the issue further.

As far as site design goes, thank you for the feedback. I’ll definitely pass it onto our team! If you have any further questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us!

Best, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Dead says:

The PS3 app remains highly unreliable. It constantly freezes when trying to resume an episode of something. This is just…really, really annoying.

I don’t have a slow internet connection, my PS3 doesn’t freeze during other apps, games, etc.

Considering that we’re paying for a service that still thinks it’s acceptable to force advertisements on us, I don’t consider it acceptable for the service to be so unreliable.

Also, from a design standpoint, it’s really difficult to navigate this program efficiently. And putting the episodes in reverse order (as well as seasons) is just weird and counter-intuitive. No one on earth watches a show backwards. Why not sort the episodes and seasons in the proper chronological order starting with the beginning? Seems like basic logic to me.

edit: many apologies if this posts more than once. I keep getting error messages and blank pages. Funny, even Hulu’s blog doesn’t work…

• Bman says:

Seriously, what is wrong with you guys. The new interface on the PS3 is like trading in a nice car for a moped. I can’t recommend Hulu Plus to anyone anymore. WAY too buggy. Quits on me all the time. Sick of the paying consumer being the test rat. Plain. Flat out. SUCKS. Spend your development dollars on adding true value to the application (like speed and reliability) instead of on untested design ideas to build resumes.

• J P Brenn says:

I do NOT like the new app!!
    1)Buggy – VERY
    2) Slow
    3) Counter-intuitive
    4) Impairs ability to watch what I want when I want

Good news?
    The old PS3 Hulu App was PERFECT the way it was.

WHY must you ruin it? Thank God I have an Apple TV. The new PS3 app is SO BAD…. I am “firing” Hulu on PS3 until you un-f*** that which you have f***ed.

• Jason McCutchen says:

Who cares about what the play bar looks like? What I do care about, however, is the fact that I can’t search alphabetically or properly by genre. Getting rid of the “latest added” is also a BIG con for me. What if I want to learn about new shows? I hate Hulu suggesting programs for me and auto-playing programs I didn’t put in my queue. It’s a heavy web app overall, with irritatingly slow load times due to the “me likey the shiny buttons” graphics-centric design, with crashes and freezes being a frequent occurrences. Redesign it. It sucks.

• Brent D says:

Your new PS3 interface is extremely confusing and difficult to use. it is clunky, takes a long time to load, and it’s difficult to find the show I want to watch. Not only that but the show thumbnails are so small that they are difficult to read at the distance a couch would normally be from a TV. I usually don’t comment on things like this because I know other people will do it and you will likely change it because of them but I felt that this was so bad of a change that I had to voice my opinion. It’s almost bad enough to cancel my eight dollar a month subscription….which says something in and of itself.

• R. C. says:

New app is very pretty but seriously buggy. Don’t fire anybody. The last thing you guys need is less engineers working on the PS3 app. Let me give you specific situations of when my app/ps3 freezes/crashed so you can get to the bottom of this.

- when quickly scrolling down through images of content in any of the vertically-scrolling interfaces. it seems like it’s too many images for it to handle at once.

- freezes when trying to start an episode from where previously left off. i think it’s because hulu wants to hurl another ad/intro at you and the new app doesn’t know how to handle that properly.

- whenever you try to rewind/slide the tracker back, once you stop to decide where you want playback to resume, the tracker stays visible and thinks that you’re still moving the tracker to the left, and inches all the way back to the beginning. trying to escape by pressing circle doesn’t help, it just keeps going back.

- app randomly thinks that i’m pressing the ps3 button when i’m not. that’s super annoying.

- this upgrade is a downgrade if it’s not usable. you guys should know better.

• Nonny says:

“Shows I Watch” do not reflect my viewing habits in several instances. It would make more sense for whoever programs these things to check out my Favorites file to see what shows I WANT to watch and will watch. Right now there are logos on “Shows You Watch” for shows I clicked on maybe once to see whether or not I liked them because I’d not seen them before, or watched once because an actor I like was in a show or being interviewed…, but I certainly do not watch regularly and the shows are not in my Favorites file or in my Queue list…, which the statisticians would know if they paid attention to my name at the top when some programming thing tells Hulu I’ve clicked on to their web site. Of the shows I watched once out of curiosity or for some other reason (like one i know I clicked on accidentally and didn’t actually watch), most could be eliminated or put in the category of ‘Shows You Might Be Interested in Watching.’ Well, probably not, but who knows? The ones I WANT to watch are already in my Favorites List or in my Queue.

• auricana says:

Already submitted this via the Contact Us as well, but for anyone reading comments…

I just wanted to let you know that the latest update on the PS3 is awful. To quote your own blog, “Designed to help you get to the shows you watch faster than ever before.” WRONG! It takes 3 times as long to get to begin a show from my queue. In addition, the PS3 remote’s playback buttons (pause/play/stop/rewind/fast-forward) no longer work, I found out how to pause purely by coincidence: Press the down part of the circular nav (around the Enter), then you can press Enter to pause.

P.S. What is with this page’s comments form?? In Chrome, I can’t even see what I am typing now because the bottom of the box is off the screen when it is scrolled down ALL the way. There is no visible Submit button, I had to go to a different browser to even submit this…

• Beverly says:

I hated the new interface within minutes of trying to use it & left a couple of comments here (that are no longer viewable) about it. So I’ve spent some time trying to get used to it. I can’t. It just plain sucks.

I second the comments from the other complaints — the lack of orderly sorting of episodes, while watching shows the player just stops, sometimes the player jumps to a different spot in the show all on it’s on… It also takes FOREVER to find what I’m looking for especially since I can’t eliminate clips in some views. Is it really so much to ask for the old text lists in the order the shows aired & with the ability to eliminate clips.

Tonight I read the “Hulu Support Advocate” comment that Hulu values customer feedback. That’s a laugh! If that were really true you would have backed-out this lousy excuse for an update and given us back something that works properly.

How many weeks of extremely negative (but valued!) user feedback will it take to get through to you and convince you that you need to clean-up this mess you’ve made to prove that you really do value feedback? I don’t know about the rest of your users, but i’m finding that Hulu’s appeal is sinking fast for me. I’ve already been investigating other options.

• Joe says:

The new interface for the PS3, was it tested at all? It hangs, it’s slow, the trays store episodes out of order, searching for new episodes takes forever, searching period makes you want to just logout and go to Netflix.One night I scroll left for current episode, next night I scroll right, and then they are just out of order.

Can we please downgrade to a working interface, In the computer industry companies control what level they are at for exactly this reason. I prefer the older interface because the functions I use work at that level, and quite frankly they do not work on the new interface. And the autoplay function, it doesn’t stay in the show you are in, it loads from some unknown list so who frigging knows what it will play next.

Did anyone actually go home and test this?? I cannot imagine this was alpha or beta tested, it would not have been released if it had been.

And last night it logged me out of the playstation network twice, and it continues to just replay a scene whenever it wants to, characters constantly repeat lines.

Please I am ready to cancel my subscription unless you step up and take steps so this never happens again, you need to do one of the following.

1) Put in place a Quality Assurance team that does not include developers, it need to be average poeple testing the interface

2) Hire a new development team for PS3, bottom line this is shoddy work, it is as if developers did the testing and not real non-technical end user types

• Hi Greg,

Thanks for your feedback, and I’m sorry for your experience with our app. I do hope you’ll take a moment to fill out our support form.

User feedback is valued here at Hulu, and I hope we can use yours to refine and improve our app on your PS3.

Daniel

• greg says:

it would be great if there was a way to go back to the old interface because there are so many things that are bad with this one. the queue doesnt put episodes in numerical order anymore, the ps3 remote doesnt work, i cant watch while browsing, the option to go to the next episode doesnt appear during credits anymore, i miss being able to see the episode name and number while navigating through the episode and a bunch more other problems i cant remember at the moment

• David Herrin says:

You guys broke the ps3 remote again? Seriously… How many times does it take you to learn? And on this form I had to use the developers tools on chrome to even see the “leave comment” button. Do you people even test your stuff before you update it?

• sarah says:

Looks pretty, but the search function is horrendous! Dude, let us use the playstation stock keyboard. Why would i want to sidescroll to get to the letter S when i could just type it in…
    ps, it freaking freezes my console.

• Hi there,

Thank you for posting and I’m sorry for the trouble. Could you please contact us directly with specific details about this issue? We’d love to get an opportunity to help out.

You can reach us via email through our support form ( http://www.hulu.com/support/support_form ).

Regards,
    Russ

• TinkFu says:

Terrible. Anytime I try to play a show, it freezes up my entire system. I have to manually reboot the PS3 just to get out of the (cr)app. Paying for something I can’t use… /annoyed -_-

• me says:

@carl

I don’t know about the ps3 since i’ve never tried it and this was never a complaint of mine, but many devices that can connect to the web can’t stream web only hulu content. It recognizes that you are on a device other than pc/laptop and blocks the content (at least last I checked, but it’s been a while)

• Carl says:

Web Only content.

Guess what my PS3 connects to so it can stream videos from Hulu, Netflix, etc.?

The fucking Internet…also known as the Web.

• C. Blue says:

I’ve had Hulu Plus on my PS3 ever since it was in beta, and I used Hulu on my computer even before that. And let me tell you–the new update sucks in every way that it’s possible for an update to suck.

How you can say that viewers can get to their shows more quickly is a mystery to me, since there are at least two extra button presses required to start a show–the episodes of which you CAN’T RATE. The layout might work well on a mobile phone (I just got one, so I’m checking out the features on that, too), but it’s much weaker on my TV. Where scrolling drags and jerks, rather than being smooth. Even so, it’s closest to hitting the mark.

Searching is still a nightmare, but you’ve managed to make it even worse. I tried searching for “The Mindy Project,” a show whose intro on Hulu had me interested, but not enough to subscribe. Since I watched it on my PS3, I thought it would be easy to locate. It took me ten minutes and three search approaches to find out it was now Web Only. The old interface would have let me know that right off the bat. Load times have increased across the board, freezing occurs more, and the countdown timer telling me how long before commercials end has been replaced by an analog guess-how-fast-I’m-going wheel which literally represents a step backwards in technology.

The loss of the ability to browse while I watch picture-in-picture style is one of the dumbest things that could have been done. Also the elimination of the feature that reminded me upon startup if I had a video-in-progress wasn’t the brightest thing.

And, of course, like everyone else is saying, it’s making me wonder why I even bothered getting a PS3 video player remote–seriously . . . third party program providers are actually *removing* functionality from this device?

Please. Go back and try again.

• Pete says:

Wow. I never leave comments on boards like these because someone more thoughtful usually speaks for me. But I am so surprised to get confirmation that my remote DOES NOT WORK WITH THIS UPDATE. Doesn’t that seem like the FIRST thing you would consider in an update? As in, “Well, the UI is wonderful and an improvement, we think, and ready to go, but gotta scrap the launch because users cannot FF or rewind.” ??? really looked all this up to find out what I was doing wrong or to understand a workaround, and am astonished to see that, no, this is what you went with.

Please fix this. You’re going to lose a lot of subscribers if you don’t. Me among them.

• Maggie says:

RE: the PS3 Remote–it actually does work, but not in the traditional way. Instead of being able to use the Play, Pause, Rewind, etc. buttons, you now have to use the buttons that correspond to those you would use on the PS3 controller. So “x” for pause/play, etc.

• me says:

Not that the last hulu interface was all that great, but this update makes it even worse imo. It feels like it takes 10 more steps to get to something I want to watch now unless it’s something I just watched recently. Some people are saying playback is better, I don’t really see any improvement, but I never had much of a problem with that before. The ps3 remote not working is a big black mark on the update though..QA can’t catch everything, but to say that’s a glaring miss is an understatement. I would gladly go back to the last version without a second thought; not really a good sign…

• Jim L says:

PS3 update app is annoying. Sometimes I just stare at a blank screen waiting for it to
    populate. Also there seems to be a delay in getting the latest shows on PS3. On my computer the daily show and Colbert show up 4-8 hours before I can access on PS3. Can I have the old app back please ?

• Kevin Redington says:

I like the overhaul, but when signing up for Hulu Plus I found many shows on SciFi, NBC, CBS, Fox and other stations are only clips not full seasons or back episodes. Where has the content gone?

I’m finding the same thing with Netflix and iTunes. It seems like the content options and databases of past episodes are gone for shows in the past 5 years.

• Mike says:

The new PS3 interface misses the mark.

The PS3 remote used to work – push play for play… stop for stop… It no longer works.
    The previous version had “subscriptions” where I could manage my shows without adding each episode to my “queue”. Access to subscriptions was the single most useful component of the previous version. The new one does not. The couple of places that I can view the shows I watch – these are routinely rearranged by the app, for no apparent reason.
    Scrolling and browsing in the new version is jumpy and laggy. The previous version was not.
    The play/progress bar was more useful, conveyed more information and more options. The new one does not.
    The summary screen at the end of an episode (with an option to play the next episode) was very useful. The new one is not.

I’m sure you guys worked long and hard on the update – but it seriously conflicts with your stated Mission on user experience, “Hulu is focused on quality and convenience and strives to create the best possible online video experience.” The current PS3 software version lacks both quality, and convenience.

• joe says:

ok this is a bunch of bull how come all devices gets new interface upgrade excerpt huluplus for people that got tv”s i have been saying all along tv interface needs to be upgraded but no one from here will listen hulu just no good if no upgrade for huluplus for tv soon then i am going to go to m-go app it is free and it have more content and better interface no waste your time with this crap!! because you will never see any improvement.

• Warren Bush says:

A week after I purchased hulu, they come out with this new format. It’s awful, just awful, it was fine the way it was. Everyone hates it, so change it back. I won’t be keeping hulu if it’s going to be like this. Awful, just awful.

• Derek Plante says:

Dear Hulu,

I think the idea of Hulu is great, while the functionality of the whole app on PS3, as well as online, still lacks the power punch to take on the big cable companies. For instance, the television offered is limited and I hope it increases ten fold in the near future. I won’t even go into the movies section of Hulu, because we all know it’s laughable at best. I’m sure securing the rights to these different types of media is difficult, but what makes Netflix (or should I say made) revolutionary was the ability to sift through loads and loads of movies, archived TV shows, etc, etc. Hulu would be best served, to its customer base and to itself, if it secured more content and quickly. You might as well toss out the movie section unless you plan on bolstering that as well. I love Hulu and would of never watched Misfits otherwise, so to that, I tip my hat. Otherwise, listen to your customer base, give them what they want and who knows… they may pay more for a service that, dare I say, delivers more. And is live streaming of content impossible or do cable companies hold that exclusive right? Thanks for doing all that you do.

• sara says:

Although I am liking some of the changes. I’m disappointed that for the second time you rolled out an update that doesn’t work with the ps remote. This happened last year and I would think that you would have learned from that mistake.
    I have yet to explore all the changes since not being able to pause is an issue for us. Thankfully you have yet to update the XBox version and I can use that for now.
    Maybe next year you will test the update with the remote before rolling it out.

• Ashley says:

While I kind of enjoy the layout of this new Hulu more, the best thing they had going for them is lost. I really really REALLY miss the ability to search for other programs while still watching my current program. This was one of the big reasons I switched to Hulu from Netflix…

• Dustin says:

I absolutely HATED the old interface. So much that I canceled last year and never looked back. Fast-forward to a few days ago and my interest was piqued. Well, I resubscribed tonight and I have to admin, I’m IMPRESSED. Thoroughly. My wife and I agree, it’s a bit laggy, and when browsing we can’t help but notice that there is a lot of wasted space to the left of the images. Perhaps have a short blurb and some basic information popup in that space? Also, we don’t see an option to RATE shows…are we missing it? That is a feature I quite like on Netflix.

However, the BIGGEST gripe we currently have is this new Hulu Plus appears to be incompatible with the new PS3 remote. I REALLY hope this is addressed soon…

• Andrea says:

I am less than thrilled with the new interface. I find tray designs difficult to navigate, and find that the way the trays associate shows does not fit with the way I think of them. Previously, I could go to a sensible, alphabetically-arranged list of all the shows Hulu had, and see quickly if Hulu carried a particular show. If I had forgotten a show’s name, I could browse through the list and find the one I was looking for with ease. In the tray format, I have to guess how Hulu has categorized a show, and flip through page after page after PAGE of images — and then try another tray, and another tray. And I have to try ALL the frames of ALL the trays, because shows are not arranged in any meaningful order — nor, having gone through the tray once, do the shows REMAIN in that order (“I forget what it was named, but it was in frame 4 …”). Instead, they move according to some logic I have yet to master.

I know that many people think visually and find tray arrangements appealing. However, please, please, please, please bring back a textual, alphabetically-arranged list of shows, even if it is via a link from the main page. I don’t care if you label it “For the librarians among us” or “The Old Farts’ Search Page.” An organized list that retains its form is far more functional and faster to navigate than trays that have no discernible organization.

• Ian says:

Summary- lots of room for improvement but potentially a step in the right direction.

Cons-
    Episodes not in episodic order but are instead in alphabetical. This seems like such a gross oversight, it should be embarrassing. Please see “Naoki Urasawa’s Monster” as an exmaple. This one is, in particular, also a good example of, when browsing, there is no distinction between the Japanese Language version and the dubbed version- Thus negating attempts to even try to watch it in order through just the show “page”
    Still seems buggy and fragile.

Pros- I do appreciate the new timers as well as the suggestions of shows. Flow seems smooth and the full descriptions are nice, which is an upgrade from the previous incarnation.

Overall-Considering that everyone that is using it on their PS3, it creates a little bit of a sore spot that this has been released in what seems to be in a early beta stage. I can’t help but feel that as a paying customer, I have been given the short end of the stick. I can only hope with the amount of feedback that has been received so far will urge Hulu to make prompt changes to what could be a very nice, clean, interface.

• Kevin says:

Once again Hulu has rushed an update to the app without fully testing it for bugs. The pause and play buttons on my PS3 DVD remote don’t work with the app….again. The “Add to Favorites” buttons does not work properly. Shows in my favorites are not being added to my queue when they should be. Why are the videos in my queue out of order? Most people like to watch a series in order. It lags. It may look very “pretty” but function was clearly not in mind when developing this app. Very disappointed.

• Lynne97060` says:

A week after I decided to take the big plunge and disconnect my cable — I still have time to cancel that — (I can’t receive broadcast or satellite due to my location) you changed format.

I really resent how difficult you’ve made it to find new content. Having to sort through dozens of thumbnails without any clue as to when they were added, what language they might be in, what genre they are….to find the one show I follow is time-consuming and really annoying.

At 57 it makes me anxious just to contemplate switching over to internet/computer feed for my television entertainment and news; you have made it a million times worse with this update, making me question whether I want to even try Hulu Plus instead of paying $14 mo for my minimal cable. Shame on you!

• Christy says:

I quit buying standard cable over a year ago and switched completely to using the internet for all my tv watching, mainly using my PS3. I am a BIG fan of hulu and have almost exclusively used it for all my tv watching outlets. Part of the reason I grew to love hulu was their interface was vastly better and more user friendly than Netflix. It was simple, clean and didn’t try to over advertise itself.

That said, I’m really unimpressed with this “update.” I know you’re calling it “new and improved” but to me it just looks are works more like the really badly designed Netflix interface on the PS3. I have no idea where to look any more, and the hierarchy of the information is so different that the previous version that I’m really confused how it is suppose to be better. You had something so simple and clean that worked really well, and now it’s noisy and confusing. I’m a professional web and graphic designer so I really appreciate a simple well executed UI. This update feels like it was designed by an advertising committee rather than someone who really had the users interaction with the product in mind.

• Joe says:

Gotta say, the new interface leaves much to be desired. Very hard to navigate, very confusing, even harder to find the new episodes. Not impressive at all.

• Joe says:

Gotta say the new inerface is much harder to navigate, very cumbersome to find new episodes fo the shows you frequently watch. Most Popular was awesome in the old interface, this ones seems sluggish and quite frankly less complete.

• Jill says:

I second the problem with the PS3 remote. Also, i miss the Ad countdown clock. Its nice to know off the bat if I have a minute or three to leave the room during a commercial. The visual circle thing doesn’t cut it for me.

• Cameron Keith says:

I second, third and tenth the comments previously listed. The remote doesn’t work, and the program is buggy and freezes – not only the app, but the machine, as well. Did you guys even beta-test this garbage? What a waste of time, for you and your paying customers. I hope there’s an update soon. Tip: try using the program before unleashing it on consumers. Game developers do it all the time. No reason you should not.

• NS says:

Awful. Whoever did this should be fired. Seriously.

• Nate Higuchi says:

Good:
    - I’m impressed with how quick the thumbnails appear (considering how many there are)

Bad:
    - Lost Feature 1: The video feed completely stops when looking for other shows.
    - Lost Feature 2: Can’t rate any videos watched.

Recommended Improvements:
    - Button press for Searching
    - In the search GUI, use a cellphone like keypad so all letters are more accessible with less button presses
    - Bring back the application’s ability to playback videos while searching for others

• Mike,

Thanks for reaching out to us! Our developers are aware of this issue with the PS3 remote, and I hope we can put a fix in place for you soon.

I’m very sorry for your trouble with this. If you have any further feedback you’d like to submit, please take a moment to fill out our support form.

Once again, I’m very sorry for the trouble with your PS3 remote, but we look forward to resolving this for you.

Daniel

• Michael,

Thanks for contacting us, and I’m very sorry for your experience with the update to our app. Please let us thoroughly troubleshoot this for you!

I’m sorry for your trouble, but I’m sure we can get this figured out.

Daniel

• Mike says:

I second Mark’s comment about proper testing and internal documentation. Prior support for the PS3 remote control such as Scan, Pause, Stop are all missing from this release.

• Rohan Dmello says:

I updated the app yesterday on my PS3. I see there are lot of improvements as far as the functionality is concerned. But when it comes to navigation the experience is very very bad. The navigation is sluggish now. I guess you guys are trying to match with Netflix which is not needed at all because previous interface was much better and much smoother. I appreciate the new functionality improvements. More user are unhappy now. If you read comments on Engadget, TheVerge etc. in contrast the web interface is very good. In fact no one comes close to that no Netflix, no Amazon Instant Video

• Rich says:

The playback seems improved considering my questionable internet connection. The layout looks interesting and fresh. I really wish that the stereo Dolby sound issue would take top priority. The sound was perfect about 3 updates ago.

• Michael Knabe says:

Have to agree with the above comment, very unhappy with the update. Sorting in the shows is awful, takes forever to load from the start and loading shows. Very jerky, half the tiles have pictures, half are just grey. Biggest problem is the app freezing my whole PS3 almost every time I go to resume a show I’ve been watching. I have to manually turn on the console, then start the show from the beginning and fast forward to the point I left off. Not happy at all…..

• Jon says:

Lazy, lazy engeneering.
    I can believe you would sort a show in my queue by the episode title rather than the episode number (or air date).
    This forced PS3 upgrade is clearly not ready for a prime-time audience.

• Mark Terrel says:

The new interface definitely has some improvements but it seems to be lacking in quality and testing with real users. The interface is very jerky when navigating, making it difficult to look at. The episode sort is horribly, horribly wrong. It sorts Colbert Report by day of week. It sorts Hell’s Kitchen so that it interleaves episodes from different seasons.

Please create a wider beta test program before unleashing poor quality upon the masses.