Hulu Plus Launches on More Living Room Devices

March 22nd, 2012 by Kate Shen Program Manager

Everyone has different schedules and priorities. At Hulu, we get that balancing school, work, friends and family while staying current on this season’s TV shows can be tricky. So when you do get that moment to spend some quality time with your living room, we want to make it easy for you to watch your favorites, whenever you want.

I’m pleased to announce that Hulu Plus is available on select Toshiba 2012 Blu-ray players, Sharp 2012 TVs and Best Buy’s Dynex Blu-ray players. Earlier this year, we also launched Hulu Plus on Netgear’s NeoTV 200 Media Player and branded set-top boxes from Magnavox and Funai.

For $7.99 a month, subscribe to Hulu Plus and watch the latest episodes of Family Guy, Modern Family, Revenge, Castle and more on any of these devices. Veg out on the couch with a Community or Grey’s Anatomy marathon, or pick a title from Miramax and invite friends over for a movie night. Try one week of Hulu Plus for free now.

For specific models and to stay updated with Hulu Plus device launches, visit http://www.hulu.com/plus/devices. Enjoy!

• Robert says:

I just bought a Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player and the Hulu Plus interface is almost unusable. When looking at the queue, it shows each individual episode of every show in my queue. The Hulu interface on Roku has a drill-down approach for the queue, which is far superior.

I don’t understand why Hulu would develop such a horrid interface when they have a very usable (if somewhat buggy) interface on Roku. Unfortunately it means I’ll use Hulu Plus much less and will use Netflix and Amazon much more.

• Jennie H says:

We’re trying to get to Hulu on our Boxee to enjoy the free weekend of criterion films and being blocked out and required to sign-up for Hulu Plus (which we’re *not* interested in). So much for Hulu offering free films if nobody can get to them :-( It would have been more honest if people would have been told they would have to sign up for a Hulu Plus account if they wanted to watch the criterion films on anything other than a desktop or laptop…

• Drew says:

+1 for Boxee

• Joe says:

So I have several devices and here is the breakdown

1) Roku good Huluplus interface – Roku support weak

2) PS3 – Poor Huluplus interface – Confusing and Slowwww

3) Netgear Max – Not too bad – Huluplus commercials – interface broke bad

4) Sony Blu-ray – Interface painful

• Joe says:

Better yet if you and your advertiser’s want it fixed…send out an updat LOL

• Hi Joe, I’m sorry but that’s not how it’s supposed to work. If you’re interested in geting that fixed, please contact us at hulu.com/support!

Cheers, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Joe says:

Netgear max, great box, if you have huluplus and commercials bug you, they don’t play to completion and often mute themselves on the box. It is AWESOME!!

• Joe says:

I love this box, Huluplus commercials never play corretly on it, so you don’t have to mute or leave the room LOL. Sound goes in and out, commercials end abruptly without finishing the pitch. I love it!!

• Andrei Chakhovskoi says:

Love Hulu (free)
    Want Hulu Plus, willing to pay for it, as soon as it will work on my Boxee Box.
    It’s a piece of hardware. Call the company, work out a royalty agreement. Get more users. How hard can it be?!!

• George Martin says:

Get Boxee support and I’ll get Hulu Plus, not a moment before.

• Hi Mike,

Thanks for trying Hulu Plus! I’m sorry for your disappointment with our device support. We’re quickly expanding our Android support, so I hope you keep your eye on our supported devices page!

I’m also sorry we don’t currently support Boxee. Our developers are always working to add our app to more devices—I hope we can support Boxee someday soon!

Daniel

• Mike says:

I just cancelled Hulu Plus due to lack of robust support for Android tablets and Boxee.

• RS Myers says:

Love Boxee Box – ended up cancelling my Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus account since BB is not supported. Signed up for Netflix – not as bad as people have stated – but I still prefer Amazon Prime as 1st choice, then Hulu Plus.

Buying 3 more BB units for every HDTV in the house – companies that avoid BB will lose my business completely – over time it will add up and the dollars will not be coming back. I just added OTA to my BB – amazing!!! 38 channels in HD free with an antenna – so long to my DirecTV account as well! Looks like BB, Netflix, OTA, Blockbuster DVD’s, and ton’s of free content (movies) off Boxee Box – my DirecTV savings is $120 per month and I only watched 2 or 3 channels at best for the past 4 years – good bye forever Satellite TV, goodbye forever to cable (Comcast) TV as well!

• Martin says:

I had a hulu plus account, but cancelled it because I got a boxee, and hulu plus doesn’t work on it. I tried to watch from my android tablet connected to my tv via HDMI, and it still didn’t work. I was an avid user of Hulu plus, so it was very disappointing to have to cancel. I hope whatever issues are causing Hulu plus to not be available on boxee or android are dealt with soon.

– Frustrated ex-hulu subscriber

• Morty Shawson says:

Please bring Hulu Plus to Boxee. I’ll gladly buy a subscription if you do!

• agltbialik says:

Another vote for Hulu+ on Boxee. Get it together already.

• Hi Soichi,

We receive quite a few requests for Boxee, but no plans quite yet. Check (www.hulu.com/plus/devices) for updates!

Dave

• soichi hayashi says:

Is there a plan to make hulu available on boxee box? We watch everything on boxer box and I’d love to see July contents on it.

• John Dole says:

Another Boxee owner who would love to sign up for hulu plus but wont until Hulu and Boxee get their heads out of arses and think about customers and growing a business before their pride.

• Kaitlyn H says:

I would love to be able to subscribe to hulu plus. I think it is a great price for the content but I use a Boxee Box for my media and am VERY disappointed to discover that hulu has blocked boxee. I WONT be subscribing to hulu plus until it available through boxee. So there goes another disappointed consumer.

• Richard L. says:

Still waiting for Boxee Box support. You guys seem to have really dropped the ball. Not going to bother with Hulu till it does.

• Jim says:

Wishing for Hulu+ built-in to Apple TV. I’m sure it’s an Apple issue, not a Hulu issue, so keep the pressure on ‘em.

• Cliff Wells says:

The truth:

Consumers don’t care why Hulu isn’t on Boxee, they only care that it’s not there Hulu needs to grow up and worry more about its customer’s demands than making some point to the Boxee people.

• Cliff Wells says:

Despite claims to the contrary by Hulu, here’s the real story:

We got our Boxee Box yesterday, so I’ll be canceling our Hulu+ subscription today, since we no longer use the PS3 for media, and everything interesting on Hulu+ is available via other means.

• Lou says:

Please, get HULU on ATV.

• David M says:

No Boxee Box support? I’m not going to subscribe to Hulu Plus until that happens.

• RW says:

Pay attention. Your company is losing out on a sizable amount of revenue discriminating against Boxee Box owners. Not a sound decision in the face of what is overwhelming requests for your service to be made available on a very popular platform. Considering a majority of your program options are now available on Netflix; I give this company < 5 years.

• Matt says:

Please restore hulu to Boxee. Free and Plus. You allow hulu on many other TV devices, so please put it on Boxee too.

• Hi Thyra,

We’re sorry for the trouble with streaming to your iPad 2! We would love an opportunity to troubleshoot this for you!

I’m sorry for your frustration, but I’m sure we can figure this out! We look forward to resolving this for you.

Daniel

• Thyra Porter says:

Dont get hulu plus if you have an ipad2…, it stops streaming constantly…like every forty seconds. very frustrating.

• Hi there,

We don’t support Apple TV at the moment, but we’d love to add Hulu Plus to it in the future. Lots of folks ask us about it, so we definitely know there’s a demand.

Before we can support Apple TV, however, we need to obtain a specific set of streaming rights for our content. In addition, we also need agreements in place with our content providers and Apple itself.

While there’s no official news, if or when Apple TV support is announced, you’ll see it at ( http://www.hulu.com/plus/devices ).

Michael B.

• Nicodemus says:

Switched over from Netflix to Hulu Plus several months ago and had been loving it on the iPad and Roku. Unfortunately my Roku had an accident and I decided to replace it with AppleTV instead, unbeknown to me that it did not support it. Will Hulu ever make it on to the AppleTV?
    Most forums say it’s not likely since it would hurt Apple iTunes sales (them being the holdup). If that’s the case, I’m going back to netflix.

• Cliff Wells says:

I watch Hulu+ on my PS3 (also a “television device”). I used Boxee on a PC back in the day when it had Hulu, so I know there’s no technical issues. I’m planning on buying a Boxee Box (PS3 sucks for local media playback) and if there’s no Hulu+, I’ll be canceling my subscription until there is.

I understand that a “television device” is viewed differently than a phone or computer by content owners. I also know that Hulu+ already exists on several “television devices”, so this cannot be the sole reason for lack of Boxee support.

Personally I’m inclined to agree with others that this appears to be some sort of payback for early attempts by Boxee developers to bypass Hulu restrictions. Please provide a rational, believable explanation that is convinces me otherwise.

• Joey says:

Still no Hulu Plus on the Boxee Box. It’s very clear to your customers that it is not a hardware or software issue. At this point, anything Hulu’s team has said about this has been a lie. Stop delaying the inevitable. Digital content is here to stay and it should be available for all devices if your customers are willing to pay for it to work on those devices.

• Evan Frey says:

PLEASE PUT HULU ON THE BOXEE BOX. I HAVE BEEN WAITING TO SIGN UP FOR PLUS BUT WILL NOT UNTIL ITS ON THE BOXEE BOX.

• Jason Clemens says:

Please, forget the onesie-twosie TV models and focus on Boxee! You have thousands of requests for this, I’m sure, so I’m sure it’s not a demand thing. I’m also thinking it’s not a hardware issue since you work on so many other devices. That only leaves a political/legal issue. Please work this out… your customers are waiting!!

• debbie reis says:

my queue is not updating, i get the emails but no new shows in my queue on my Dynex player. is there something i need to do or is this on your end. my que on the web site is updated so it must be something with hulu communicating with the Dynex? please let me know.
    Thx

• Tim Hartke says:

Another Boxee Box owner, would love to have Hulu Plus on it. Thanks!

• BoxeePlease says:

BOXEE PLEASE!!!
    I just got a hulu plus subscription (assuming it would work on the boxee) and am going to have to cancel it since there is no app for it.
    Please fix this and i will happily give you my money. I hate cable TV.

• Richard W says:

Boxee Box support please… If you want more subs you would make it so instead of cutting your nose off to spite your face….

• jimmy L says:

Just got an email from HULU to buy a Roku player. I already own a Boxee Box and waiting for you pricks to put HULU on the Boxee. Never liked Roku and never will. I love my Boxee. I would sign up for a HULU subscription when you put it on the BOXEE!!!!!

• rick says:

Hey Boxee Box and Hulu – U suck, Way back when when I bought the boxee box I think it was pretty well promisied that it would support netflix and hulu. Took forever for netflix, looks like never for Hulu.

• Adam says:

Boxee Box Owner. The excuse “Because of the intention for use of Boxee specifically with a TV set, it qualifies as a television device and therefore a different set of streaming rights and contract restrictions” is B.S. If you go to http://www.hulu.com/plus/devices you can see that you can get Hulu Plus on a TV or Blue-ray Player. I think Hulu is holding a grudge for the things that were going on along time ago. (bypassing security with the PC version.)

• Hi Ray,

If you’re missing a Queue/Profile or bottom menu on your Dynex Blu-ray player, can you please write us at hulu.com/support so we can get this resolved? I look forward to hearing from you.

Shirley

• Ray Cooper says:

I can’t gain access to my Queue – if you go to bottom as indicated in earlier thread I can only load what ever Hulu has recently added – we are missing a Queue prompt in the interface for the Dynex Blu Rays – all firmware is up to date – please advise

• Cheryl says:

When will the hulu app be available on Samsung galaxy II?! Waiting impatiently…

• Stan O. says:

Very surprised no Hulu Plus on Samsung Galaxy S2. Having to make do with Netflix and Crackle instead. You should be on this big beautiful screen.

• Hi Marjorie,

Sorry for the trouble. On our app for your Dynex Blu-ray, you can access your queue by launching the app and selecting Queue/Profile at the bottom menu. I hope this helps!

Shirley

• Marjorie says:

I can now get HuluPlus on my Dynex Blu Ray player, but I can’t figure out how to get to my queue. Has anyone solved this problem?

• Jeremy Goodman says:

Clearly the lack of support for tv devices such as the BOXEE BOX and the APPLE TV is nothing more than proof that Hulu doesn’t have control over what it can or can’t do. They are but pawns to the entertainment industry. I am highly amused by this guy Daniel who works for Hulu and his replies/answers to everyone’s anger at Hulu for not supporting their chosen device and his straight up lies to pacify the public. Good job Daniel you are an awesome spin doctor. Btw, I too own a BOXEE BOX and I had to resort to buying a roku just do I could have something with Hulu plus on it. Kind of stupid unless that’s the point. Does Hulu own a large portion of these companies stock?

• Kevin M. says:

Apple TV Owner here. Can I by chance get more information on why Hulu Plus is still not on my device? Is it Apple holding things up? It would be extremely nice to get my Hulu Plus on our Apple TV instead of my PS3 that sounds like a jet engine anytime it is started up.

Hopes and Wishes from a loyal Hulu Plus customer.

• Robert V. says:

Boxee Box owner. I’m interested in subscribing to Hulu Plus alongside my Netflix which is availabe on practically every device and I’d like to see Hulu Plus also advance its support. Anyways, just voicing for support on my Boxee.

• paul l says:

ok, all i hear is lies.
    When i saw the boxee box on CES, the top guy at Boxee stated “Hulu Plus and Netflix will be on Boxee Box within a few months” well that was over a year ago, i should have purchased a different device as i am missing out on the hulu plus service in my living room.

when will this service be available, please do not lie this time?

• Jim Merrell says:

As a Boxee Box owner since the day it was first available, I still have yet to figure out why hulu plus is not supported. This is an issue on Hulu Plus side. The reasons we get is that it was designed for the TV not a PC. Yes that is absolutely correct but ROKU and other players do the exact same thing. This is a political issue. All Hulu plus is doing is blocking a large segment that would buy Hulu plus immediately if it were available. I hope that Hulu can fix this problem so that people who want to pay for service can get it.

• Steve tenhet says:

No google tv, no boxee, no apple tv… wow,. I am not impressed.

• Hi RJ,

Thanks for your email, and thanks for your interest in Hulu Plus! I’m afraid I haven’t any concrete information to offer regarding Boxee support. As you can imagine—we get lots of request for Boxee support! The Boxee is definitely on our radar. It’s our goal to offer Hulu Plus on as many devices as possible. I hope we can offer you Hulu Plus on Boxee someday soon!

Daniel

• RJ says:

So what’s the time frame for Hulu+ on Boxee? I WOULD sign up but there is no way in hell I will until you put out a boxee app!

• Michael Little says:

Ok, as a Hulu Plus customer I would like a clear answer as to why Hulu Plus still isn’t on the Boxee Box? Whose politics are holding this up? The Boxee Box has all of the exact same features as the Roku. According to your 3/26/12 11:08AM post to Kevin from this thread : “Because the intention of Boxee specifically for use with a TV set, it qualifies as a television device… [and therefore requires a different set of rights.]”

A Roku, just like a Boxee Box, or a DVD player, are of no use without a television. All are specifically for use with a TV set. So the only conclusion I can draw is that Hulu and its partners are punishing the Boxee developers for their earlier attempts to get around Hulu’s restrictions. If Hulu is so desperate for revenue why not try and net as many subscribers as possible? Why push people to resent your brands and steal content?

You want people to pay for service, which is fine but if you refuse to innovate with the times what should people do? Maybe the loyal law-abiding users should boycott Hulu Plus and its partners. I urge you to let management know that your company is alienating its paying customers.

• Kristof says:

I don’t see how Boxee differs from Roku, which has Hulu+.

• Javier says:

How about more android devices…

• Hi Kevin,

Thanks for posting with your interest in Hulu on Boxee. Because of the intention for use of Boxee specifically with a TV set, it qualifies as a television device and therefore a different set of streaming rights and contract restrictions. While we have not announced plans at this time, we get a lot of requests for Boxee support, so it’s definitely on our radar. Specifically, we’d love to add it as a supported device for Hulu Plus, so keep an eye out for that.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, please don’t hesitate to ask.

• Kevin says:

Still waiting for Boxee Box support. You guys seem to have really dropped the ball. I know it isn’t a software problem – it’s a political problem. Get over yourselves and realize that people are going to torrent shows that they are willing pay for until you open up!

• Scott says:

Waiting excitedly for Samsung Galaxy S2 support in your mobile app. Surprising this wasn’t one of the earliest supported!

• Hello all,

Thanks for your interest in Hulu Plus! As you can imagine, each different device presents our team with unique challenges. We know waiting is hard! I hope we can offer you Hulu Plus on Apple TV and the Boxee Box someday soon!

We will continue to add new Android devices for Hulu Plus support. As a quality experience for Android users is very important to us, we appreciate your patience!

Daniel

• Stephen Simpson says:

So obviously you cant just put yourself on Apple TV, Its laughable to think someone can just tell Apple what to do…I dont know what Mike is thinking but I really dont believe he knows what he is talking about. There is one device I am really curious about, and that is the Boxee Box. It was announced over a year ago that it would be supported but it hasnt made its way there. Do you have an update by chance?

• GD says:

How about more android devices…

• Mike Sklens says:

STILL no AppleTV support? This wait is getting laughably long at this point. You already have apps running on iOS devices (iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad). The AppleTV runs the same operating system. What’s the hold up!? There are literally no excuses at this point. I’m really tired of having to boot up my energy-hog PS3 up and use the awful Hulu Plus interface on it. I would really prefer I could use it on a the AppleTV which is super energy-efficient and has a nice (and newly refreshed) interface.