The Big Picture

March 15th, 2012 by Varun Narang Director, Product

While watching Hulu on your browser today, you may have noticed something different. Dwight Shrute’s head appears bigger, Sue Sylvester’s tracksuit seems starchier and Phil Dunphy’s parenting just got cooler.

I’m pleased to present to you our beautiful, new Hulu video player. Your favorite shows just got bigger.

Today, we replaced our old video player with an update that’s 55% larger. It has a new frame and a drop shadow and sits on top of a large, dark gray video matte for easy viewing. We moved all of the video details below the player and cleaned up the pattern and style for a cleaner, crisper look.

What do you think? Let us know. We’re constantly listening to customer feedback and finding ways to bring you the best possible user experience. We hope you enjoy watching your favorite shows on the new player. Because when it comes to premium video experiences online, we see the big picture.

UPDATE: Thanks for all the feedback! To address some of the comments:

• The pop-out feature can be found under the “more” link below the player.
  • We’ll bring back the lower lights option shortly.

Thanks again! We appreciate all the comments — they help us continually refine our user experience.

• Carolyn A. Benjamin says:

I love HULU, always great movies and up to date trailers.

• josephmayo says:

no playback of my soap s sometimes it works then it doesnt

• Erin says:

Any way to shrink the video player DOWN? I’m trying to watch while I do other things on the computer but this takes up too much of my screen.

• Talus says:

Hello,

I’m not sure why but my desktop shortcut icon no longer works. Might it be because of the new player? All else is fine. Thanks,

• Hey Milton,

A black screen will generally mean that the Flash player was unable to load up. If you already have the latest version of Flash installed, please reach out to us here http://www.hulu.com/support and we’ll be happy to help get you up and running.

• I pay for this and can’t see anything all I get is a black screen and that’s after doing everthing it said on the help pages.

• Hi Heather,

I’m sorry for the playback trouble. Can you please try some of the troubleshooting steps listed at ( http://tinyurl.com/abfccnq )? If you’re still having trouble, please don’t hesitate to write us at ( http://hulu.tv/C ). I’m sure we’ll get this resolved!

Shirley

• Heather says:

I cant watch any episodes or movies. I can pick one but when the movie or show pops up the box stays black. At the bottom the time also stays at 00:00 instead of what the length of the show or movie should be. How do I fix this. I have deleted my history not sure what else to do.

• Rebecca says:

Please Please Please offer a settings options for the old system too. I don’t want to have to use the Pop-out option to watch something the old way. The pop-out option requires going to a new episode from the browser after everything I watch and never has the correct “play next episode.” I need to be able to do other things on my computer and can’t afford to have this huge screen in my way. Please offer a setting to change between screen size such as YouTube offers.

• Hi Martin,

Thanks for your comment! We actually do offer a pop-out option that allows you to resize the player. To find it, simply hover your mouse over the gear-shaped icon located on the bottom right corner of the video player. This will open up a few choices, including “pop-out” under the “view modes” section. Then, just drag the window to make it smaller. Hopefully that helps!

Best,
    Shae

• Martin says:

Please add a resize option.
    I like to watch a show in a small window and with low resolution while I’m doing some other tasks.

You made this impossible with the new huge player. I don’t see the point in forcing us to use a huge player since the full screen option has been always there and I use it when I want to watch a show without doing anything else.

• Cheryl says:

Unbelievable.
    Netflix for now…until a better system comes along with fewer cheesy movies. I don’t have time for this. Audio is out of sync w/video. Jerky images. Stop and start…blah, blah, blah. Surely there exists a techno- genius somewhere who can figure out how to configure such a site that will run seamlessly.

• Rux says:

I hear a lot of “sorry”, but have seen no improvement. I have written support and got back “we need data”, but to me with all the sorry and no improvement it seem more of a ruse. I liken ads to a Parade Float, the ownder of the float adds more and more to attract attention and to please every segment and every person, but after all the additions the float collapses due to the weight of all the additions. Buy yourself an older computer, use an average DSL connection and mine your own data, you’ll see all that these people have been telling you. and you’ll have tons of data and can look at it all you want without pressing the user in to service and seemsing to be wasting tenir precious time.
    Watching Hulu has become a hands on activity likened to making Pottery, not watching video.
    Thanks!

• Hey Dani,

I’m sorry for the frustration with out autoplay feature. I’d love to help, so if you can please write into us at http://www.hulu.com/support with some details about how you’re watching Hulu Plus (device, internet browser, show, episodes, etc.) we can get to the bottom of this!

Alexa

• Dani says:

Hey!

I love watching the show Reba! Sometimes I fall a sleep and they play all the way through. (I am fine with that. I got used to something playing when I fall a sleep).
    But now, when one episode is over, it will go to an ad at the end like normal, start the count down to the next episode, start another ad at the beginning, blah blah everything normal… but then… the next episode skips to the very end. So I hearing the credits for every episode at the end.
    What can I do so that when the episodes play through, they don’t skip to the credits.
    Note: I have watched all the episodes in order playing them on auto play before. just NOW I have to get up and press the back button to the beginning of the episode.

Please try and help… it’s getting annoying because I have a lot of family watching stuff on here and when I want to watch it all the way through… I get that ^ annoying thing -_-

Dani
    P.S.: I am using my husbands account James.

• Hi Joseph,

I’m sorry for the playback trouble. Have you tried power cycling your modem & router? Unplug both devices from power for a full minute, then plug them back in. Does that help? If not, we’ll be better equipped to help if you contact Support directly. Please head to http://www.hulu.com/support if you’re still having issues.

Robert

• joseph grace says:

I have not been able to watch anything on hulu for two weeks now. I keep getting message, sorry unable to download at this time. What is going on?

• Fazi Khan says:

Like your posts.

• Cecilia says:

I can’t watch a single show without the video becoming corrupted multiple times. Refresh generally fixes it but only temporarily. Really annoying!

• Hi there,

We’ve recently re-added the AutoPlay controls; are you having any issues?

Dave

• Hi Jackie,

Thanks for getting in touch with us, and I apologize for the confusion. The good news is that the “pop-out” feature is still in full effect – it’s just in a different location. To find it, simply hover your mouse over the gear-shaped icon located on the bottom right corner of the video player. This will open up a few choices, including “pop-out” under the “view modes” section. Select that, and your pop-out player will be ready to use.

Dave

• Hi Jaya,

I’m sorry our new site player is misbehaving for you. When you have a minute, please log out of your account, clear your browser cache ( http://www.hulu.com/support/article/189358 ), and log back in. On the off chance that this doesn’t work, I’ve seen a power-cycle of your modem and router help too – unplug them both from power and wait at least 1 minute before plugging them back in.

Let us know if you’re still running into trouble, we’re happy to troubleshoot with you further. (www.hulu.com/support)

Dave