It’s on like Donkey Kong. Hulu Plus now on Nintendo Wii.

February 16th, 2012 by Eric Berman Distribution

It’s true. It’s here. Today, Hulu Plus has arrived on your Nintendo Wii. We are SO excited.

In our Evil(er) Plot to turn your brains into mushymush, we teamed up with one of the largest console partners in the world to bring your favorite current season TV shows right into your living room whenever you want. Nintendo has entertained millions of families for many years. With devices like the Wii and 3DS, Nintendo has earned diehard fans and loyal customers through its innovative approach to entertainment. And now together, we’re bringing a new level of world-class entertainment right into your hands and home.

Today, Wii owners can download the Hulu Plus app from the Wii Shop Channel and begin a new entertainment experience. We’ve optimized the Hulu Plus interface on Wii so you can easily point and click with the Wii Remote as you navigate through thousands of popular TV shows.

(Someone should probably let Cartman know that Hulu Plus is now available on the Wii.)

For $7.99/month, Hulu Plus subscribers can instantly stream current season episodes of hit shows like Modern FamilyDancing with the StarsThe Biggest LoserGrey’s Anatomy and Glee. Kids can enjoy favorites from PBS Kids including ArthurDinosaur Train and Wild Kratts. Call it a family movie night and pick from hundreds of popular Miramax movies. For the first month of launch, Wii users without an existing Hulu Plus account will get a two-week free trial when they follow the sign-up instructions in the Hulu Plus app.

We are coming to Nintendo 3DS later this year, so stay tuned for that announcement. Until then, gather your family, friends and roommates around the biggest TV in the house and watch hit TV shows with your Wii. Enjoy!

Last comment: Apr 8th 2014 21 Comments
  • Hi Scott, thanks for posting! I’m very sorry for playback trouble our Wii app is giving you. I’d suggest deleting and reinstalling the Wii app. If that doesn’t help, try unplugging the Wii and internet modem from power for one full minute, then plugging them back in. If this doesn’t help, please write into us at hulu.com/support so we can troubleshoot this further!

Thanks, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Scott says:

The app wont even load properly on my Wii. Logged in fine, gets to the load/home screen and freezes the Wii. I have to unplug and plug back in the Wii every time.

• Hi Ray,

That’s certainly strange behavior. Can you contact us at http://www.hulu.com/support so we can provide detailed support?

Michael B.

• ray says:

i was watching hulu on my wii earlier today and in the middle of the show my wii crashed and the tv made this high pitched screeching noise. i have no idea what cause it but as i continued my time on hulu plus, the loading times became longer, the shows became shorter and hard to watch with all the buffering interruptions, im regretting my decision to sign up here. thank god its a free trial and not something i have to pay for yet.

• Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear you’re having issues with our Wii app. Have you tried lowering the quality level?

• Unsatisfied says:

Hulu on my Wii is TERRIBLE. It freezes and then I have to unplug and restart my Wii. The Xbox is fine.
    You really need to work on Hulu (the glitches, the ridiculous amount of commercials and picture quality).
    Netflix does have less selection, but gives much more bang for your buck.
    I am THOOUGHLY disappointed. You should have worked out these issues long ago.

• Hi Manuel,

I’m sorry for the audio problems you’ve run into on the Wii. We’ve seen a few other contacts about this and our developers are looking into the problem. Would you mind contacting us at ( hulu.com/support/support_form ) so we can gather some additional information.

Kyle R.

• Manuel says:

Hulu, I have a problem that just started a week ago, So I was using Hulu Plus on my Wii as always but for no reason the Commercials started to make noises as if the speakers were about to blow up; I dont know what to do anymore. I have tried to Remove and Reinstall Hulu but it still not works properly, I need some Troubleshooting steps for the audio.
    Note: This type of noises happen everytime that Mitt Romney’s Commercials are ON as well as Target Commercial.

• Amber says:

I just got Hulu Plus for the PS3 and Wii last week. I’ve had minimal problems with the PS3, but with the Wii there is problem after problem. It takes forever to load, lowering the quality just makes the picture pixilate, freezes up (at least 10 times today). When it freezes, sometimes I can go to the Wii menu but other times it makes the humming noise and I have to unplug it. I was trying to get rid of my dish network, but I would rather pay for that if I’m going to have this many problems. I have had Netflix for years on the PS3 and Wii and never have any problems with streaming at all. I can watch Netflix on my Wii all day and never have an overheating problem so I don’t think that is the issue. My Wii is up to date. It doesn’t matter what show we are watching, it happens on all of them. It is not my internet connection because if it was it would happen to Netflix too. I hope Hulu fixes this problem soon. I don’t know how much more I can take and I’ve had it only one week.

• emily says:

i also am having a heck of a lot of trouble with hulu plus on wii. i am ready to rip my hair out.

• Hi Susan,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry our Wii application is giving you so much trouble. We’d love to help better troubleshoot the issue. Would you mind contacting us at ( hulu.com/support/support_form )?

• Susan says:

My Wii also freezes up completely using hulu plus app. I have followed every trouble shooting step. I have a very decent Internet speed and experience no rebuffering at all on Netflix or hulu (before freezing) It is not my Internet connection!!! It works for awhile after uninstalling and reinstalling but then freezes again.

Nintendo support indicated it is likely bugs in a new app. Totally understandable new technology has to be worked out. I am trying a little experiment of my own. So far I have watched two show that froze the wii watching them from my que by watching them from the history menu instead. They did not freeze the wii watching from the history menu. I am trying a third. Don’t know that it is a fix yet but others my want to experiment with this. Maybe the que menu has a bug.

• Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry our Wii application is giving you so much trouble, and I’d be happy to help figure out what’s going on. At the end of this email, I’m going to include some troubleshooting steps that I think might help. Some are pretty basic, and it’s likely you’ve tried a few of them already, but I want to make sure we’re thorough here.

Before all of that, the very first thing I’d like you to try is lowering the video quality on your Wii. Just press “Video Quality” during playback and select “Lower”. Do you see any difference?

If not, try the steps below and let me know if you see any difference. When you do get back to us, if you’re still having trouble, I’d like you to run a speed test on your Wii. To do so you will need the Wii Internet Channel installed (which can be found in the Wii Shop Channel). Once that is installed, please head to speedtest.net in the Wii Internet Channel and click on “Begin Test”. What are the Ping and Download Speed results?

Any additional details you can share about the problem would be appreciated. I’m sure we’ll get this worked out, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Matthew

Troubleshooting steps:
    • Perform a power-cycle of your Wii, modem, and router. Unplug all three from power and wait at least 1 minute before plugging them back in.
    • If you’re connecting over Wi-Fi, please consider connecting using an Ethernet cable – to do so, a Wii LAN Adapter is required which can be purchased here: (http://bit.ly/wJDzU ).
    • Remove the Hulu Plus channel and add it again. You can do this by going to Wii Settings > Data Management > Channels > Select Hulu Plus and “Erase”.
    • Make sure you have the most recent version of the Wii’s software. To check, head to Wii Options > Wii Settings > Wii System Update.

If the above steps don’t help, would you mind answering the following questions?
    • Which video(s) were you trying to watch? (series title, season and episode number)
    • When do the playback issues start? (at the beginning of the show, the middle, the end, etc.)
    • Do you see the same problem with the ads?

• Jim says:

Hulu is im need of some major help. It freeze’s my Wii up while watching a show. Then why do I have to have so many comercials when I pay? Even if I watch a show on ABC’s website it has less comercials and shorter. Then how come I cannot get this hulu on my android tablet, ever going to get anything to work right? Netflix seems to run fine on everything I own….wake up Hulu!!!!

• Tim says:

I can’t login to Hulu Plus on my PS3 because my e-mail is too long. Can you make it so you can accept longer e-mail addresses on the login screen?

• Shellby says:

So here we are into 2012 and hulu is patting themselves on the back for finally catching up with the rest and adding Wii support. Yet we poor Android tablet people still have nothing to show for waisting 7 bucks on hulu+ which doesn’t support our operating system.

Add to the fact that you pay money for more commercials, can’t view the majority of the hulu library because most of it is pc only, and constant downtime on the PS3. So WTF am I actually paying you guys for? Worthless.

• AC says:

Yay! I hope it works just as well as Hulu Plus for PS3. Maybe between the two I can watch almost a whole episode of something.

• Aaron says:

COOL! now I can pay 8 bucks and there are actually MORE commercials than on regular HULU! Talk about a rip off. If I’m going to “PAY” then I expect “LESS INTERRUPTIONS” instead I got a bum deal. HULUPLUS SUCKS!

• lisa says:

Any idea when captioning will come to the wii?

• Fred says:

why only Hulu plus and not regular Hulu?

Gather around the ‘biggest TV in the house” … on 480p ??

Most of the content is only licensed for PC Web only, and the outrageous amount of long commercial breaks still has people hating Hulu this last year.

• Mike says:

Any word on an AppleTV app? I’ve been waiting forever. You’re already on iOS, so what’s the hold up? It’s the same operating system…