Hulu Plus Update on Xbox LIVE

December 6th, 2011 by Jonathan Au Product Manager

Earlier this year, we brought you Hulu Plus on Xbox LIVE with support for Kinect, a revolutionary way to watch our premium content by turning your body into the controller. Today, we are releasing an updated Hulu Plus app for Xbox LIVE Gold members. This app has been rewritten from the ground up to offer an experience that fits seamlessly with the new Xbox 360 dashboard. And thanks to the power of Kinect, you can now use your voice to discover Hulu Plus TV shows and movies using the Bing search built into the new dashboard.

Our team is continually focused on delivering exciting new experiences for watching TV and movies in the living room.

We hope you enjoy the updated Hulu Plus app as much as we do!

• Hi Amanda,

Sorry for the trouble! We’ll be happy to help you get to the bottom of this billing issue. Do you mind writing us at (http://bit.ly/18PZRSW) so we can discuss the details about your account?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
    Kyle S.

• Amanda says:

I have tried all of the troubleshooting mentioned above. I thought my hulu plus account must have been deactivated, so I set up an account under the same card, and now I’m worried I’m going to be billed twice when at this point, I don’t even want to be billed once. If I can’t watch this on my X-box, i have to watch on my computer, and I like to work while I’m watching my shows.

• Hi there mates, its enormous paragraph on the topic of tutoringand fully defined, keep it up all the time.

• Hi Rita,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry for the streaming difficulty on your Xbox 360. Could you send us a detailed email at ( http://www.hulu.com/support/support_form )? That way, we’ll be able to discuss account details and advanced troubleshooting in private.

I apologize for the frustration, and I look forward to your email.

Sam K.

• Rita Mihalek says:

Hulu seems to have issues with streaming since the last Xbox 360 update. There are no problems with the commercials, but the program I want to watch tries to reload every minute or two. We tested our xbox live connection and download speeds… no problems there.

• Hey Ty,

Sorry about all the trouble with our app on the Xbox! Have you tried changing the DNS settings on your Xbox? It could be a connection issue between our server and you, which might be an issue on our end. We can’t rule out anything though! Please visit ( http://bit.ly/11WLBlL ) for steps. Please email us if it does not help, via ( http://www.hulu.com/support/support_form ).

Joe B.

• Ty Shep says:

I thought that the Hulu app would improve over time but once again nothing is available for playback. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled it, logged out and logged back in and still nothing. I downloaded this app again because of the two free weeks and the fact that it’s been awhile so maybe this issue would be solved because it’s not the first time that this has happened but somewhere along the seams the xbox and Hulu don’t get along. The app looks good visually and the controls if not sluggish are simple to pick up but honestly until this issue is fixed Hulu should just be free. I see that people are paying for this and this playback issue isn’t fixed yet (along with other things). I’ve gone through every video and not ONE is available for playback…… Beta testing in a plus in this aspect because I haven’t been able to watch Hulu plus on my xbox since early 2012…..

• Hi there! Thanks for your post and sorry for the frustrations. This is actually an error that we see when the Xbox has been updated or when a non-plus account is used to login to the Xbox. When you have a moment, try logging out and logging back in to the app with the email on your Hulu Plus subscription. That should get rid of that error message for you! I hope this helps.

Nathan

• Karrington says:

How come everytime I try to watch a damn tv show it says “this video is no longer available for playback” wtf I’ve been paying every damn month on time and this is what I get wow should have just stayed with Netflix…. Btw dumb asses I don’t want to visit your site just so you can tell me you can’t fix the problem it’ll fix it’s self so don’t bother asking me to email my complaints sincerely one pissed off customer

• Hi Beijan,

Sorry for the streaming issues with our Xbox app; mind trying the troubleshooting steps you haven’t performed already from the following address? (http://bit.ly/10ek1iT)

Dave

• Beijan Kelley says:

Yeah Hulu you guys suck i’ve had it for a year and its always said playback problems ive tried reinstalling it on my xbox360 but that never works ive been waiting for you guys to update it or something but you havent at least Netflix is reliable..

• Hello there I have a question on why my hulu account fails to play to show’s and movie’s :( I pay money to chillax after good gaming! I just might consider switching to crunchyroll because the play back feature for everything is failing

• Hey Jose,

Sorry for the trouble you are having here. If you would please reach out to our support team ( http://www.hulu.com/support/contact ), then they could best help you with any account or troubleshooting issues that you may be having. We look forward to hearing from you!

• It says the video is no longer available for playback, for everrryyything. Whyy???

• Hi Alexis,

Sorry for the Xbox streaming issues; mind trying the troubleshooting steps found here? (http://bit.ly/13Qzb0h) If none are successful in solving the issue, please contact us at (http://bit.ly/Wp5u3o) for further assistance.

Dave

• Alexis says:

Hi, I just signed up for Hulu plus and when I go to open the app on Xbox it won’t open it just keeps saying to log into my Xbox gold account when it already is, I can use Netflix & any other app. I’ve tried reinstalling it and still the same problem, it’s been almost a week and I have yet to even use it.

• Hey Apollo,

This sounds like it might be account related. Do you mind sending us an email via ( http://www.hulu.com/support_supportform) so we can look into this?

Joe B.

• Apollo says:

I have recently subscribed to Hulu Plus on my Xbox. I have a Gold membership, and am unable to view anything. Whenever I select a show, a notifications comes up saying “Hulu Plus Service- This video is no longer available for playback.” I have tried time and time again your responses to other complains, and am not able to access anything.

I have paid for the services already, and am planning to unsubscribe if all else fails.

• Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting and I’m sorry for the trouble. Please contact us directly and we’ll be happy to assist. You can reach us via email through our support form ( http://www.hulu.com/support/support_form ).

Regards,
    Russ

• Paul Foster says:

I am trying to use my Hulu Plus app on my xbox 360 but it keeps telling me i need a Gold Membership. I have bought the gold membership twice now and it still repeats by saying i need to purchase a gold membership. Im confused what to do and now have over spend on my subscription. Please help.
    Paul

• Hi Diana,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with our service on the Xbox. I think I know what’s going on here, and it should be a pretty quick fix. While in the Hulu Plus app on your Xbox, select “Settings” tab from the Main Menu. From there, select “Log out” and confirm. Now that you’re logged out, hit “Log In to Hulu Plus”. From here, you can login with the email address and password linked to your Hulu Plus account (if you’re not sure which email that is, you can look it up here http://www.hulu.com/users/find_account ) or you can enter the activation code listed on the screen at ( http://www.hulu.com/activate ).

After completing these steps, you should be all set. If you’re still running into any issues, please reach out to us directly at ( hulu.tv/C ) so we can look into this further.

Cheers,
    Kyle

• Diana Geremia says:

We cannot get any shows to play. It says no longer available for viewing.
    Please help thanks, DIana

• jamie morris says:

Hulu plus required an update to continue playback.. (xbox 360) After this update the playback is constantly interrupted with buffering… ex: law and order svu episode is roughly 40 minutes long…. for every minute of playback, it stops and buffers for another 30 seconds. This was not an issue until this bullcrap update that has made hulu plus pointless to watch. If I wanted to watch a buffer emblem I would go back to watching Netflix on the wii! fix this issue!

• jamie morris says:

Hulu plus required an update to continue playback.. After this update the playback is constantly interrupted with buffering… ex: law and order svu episode is roughly 40 minutes long…. for every minute of playback, it stops and buffers for another 30 seconds. This was not an issue until this bullcrap update that has made hulu plus pointless to watch. If I wanted to watch a buffer emblem I would go back to watching Netflix on the wii! fix this issue!

• luis a says:

WHY DOES IT SAY ON MY XBOX PLAYBACK UNABLE?

• Hi Wes, I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble our Xbox app is causing you. To get things back up and running, I’d suggest logging out of Hulu Plus completely, then unplugging the Xbox and internet modem for 1 full minute. Once it’s plugged back in, please try logging back into the Hulu Plus app. It’s imperative that you’re using the correct email address, so you may want to check ahead of time at http://www.hulu.com, and make sure the screen says “Hulu Plus” in green and gray in the upper left-hand corner. This should do the trick! If not, please write into us at http://www.hulu.com/support so we can troubleshoot further!

Best, Alexa, Hulu Support

Best, Alexa, Hulu Support

• Nora says:

I’m having the same problem as Karl. The Daily Show and Colbert Report episodes are titled things like “Mon, Mar 4, 2013.” While we have tried guessing the correct pronunciation for the Xbox Kinect voice commands as a drinking game to great success, no one can actually figure out what the right way is. Or else we forgot about it because we were too drunk. Any tips?

• Wes says:

Was really excited to sampel the hulu plus with my kids new xbox. Was considering scrapping the satelite since I am never home when the shows I watch are on. Hulu sounds perfect except for one thing…..every single show give me a “unavailable for playback.” How can I purchase your product if it doesn’t work. This was a real let down.

• Hi Amber,

Thanks for posting and I’m sorry for the trouble. Please contact us directly and we’ll be more than happy to troubleshoot the issue for you. You can reach us via email through our support form ( http://www.hulu.com/support/support_form ).

Russ

• amber says:

I have xbox live gold but HULU is saying i dont it is the only app that will not let me play!

• Jessica says:

This is a great website love it

• Harry says:

I am totally baffled, what is it with you guys, why do you insist on not showing your videos, at least in the western hemisphere? First off, if someone really, really wants to see them, they can, but more importantly, your videos are nothing to write home about. They are just – dime a dozen! Nothing I would lose any sleep over. But here’s the problem, somehow you have been able to sneak your way into the system, and from time to time, I scroll through the videoland but all of sudden, a Hulu pops up, with nothing to show, so what it is, it’s just annoying as hell, that is all it is. Why don’t you guys just stop the production, or keep it totally to yourself, do not let your videos be shown in the mainstream at all, see the thing is; you could stop your operations right now, and no one, and I mean no one, would miss you.

• Jeremy says:

Come on guys, read the comments that are already there, if you have problems submit a ticket to support not here.

• Hi Jade,

I’m very sorry for the trouble. If you contact us at http://www.hulu.com/support, we’ll be better able to assist you.

Michael B.

• Jade says:

Once again, now in JUNE, episodes will not play. Everything was fine and worked great on Monday, now it’s WEDNESDAY and I still can’t watch new episodes of Hell’s Kitchen or Masterchef. Being that I am almost never home and my schedule is not a set day to day schedule, this was an easier way to watch Ramsay do his thing.
    I am not paying $8 a month for a service that claims it works on the xbox and WILL NOT WORK. I can’t watch ANY of the videos, not even old as dirt episodes of the Office or Friends. FIX YOUR SERVICE. It’s not the “IDIOTS” on this side of the screen.

• Hey Rick,

I am really sorry for the Xbox trouble, we’d be happy to assist you with this. If you’d like some help, please fill us in on the details through our support form. http://www.hulu.com/support

Grady

• rick says:

I can’t say anything that hasn’t already been said. I have an excellent internet connection, The quality and colors are awful, every 20 seconds I have to buffer and the add/remove from queue function / layout is pretty lousy. I never complain about stuff like this, but I’m pretty frustrated. Funny enough, when I had 10/1 speed, it was better than upgrading to 20/1 speed. I feel like it sees a stronger connection so its trying to play in HD, but it isn’t buffering at the right speed so the video catches up and freezes. I’m not a programmer, but I feel like if you could change the parameter that reads speed of playback vs buffering time, and automatically change the quality to a step lower…..? Not that it could really get too much lower.

• Hi David,

Sorry for the playback trouble. Can you please write us at hulu.com/support so we can resolve your playback issues? I look forward to hearing from you.

Shirley
    Hulu Suport

• ddavid j gosserand says:

omg, hulu plus for two days has given me a content unavailable for playback yet i watch it just fine on my laptop. plus i have netflix and its working fine so it cant be my connection please give me assistance soon are i will cancel your’e services . thank you kindly

• Kymberly says:

We recently canceled our cable due to the fact that we are never home, however would like to still see a few of our favorite shows. We loved the idea of Hulu and tried out the free trial. Everything worked great. Once we started paying for it (this is only our second month) we were having trouble with the buffering. Every five minutes the buffering symbol pops up! We stopped watching hulu and are thinking about canceling it because its annoying.
    Please take care of this problem or make a suggestion to fix it… otherwise I’m going to have to cancel this too and look into some other options!!

• John Doe says:

I too have been having the “Video not available for playback” bug since sometime in the last month or so. I was able to watch the first few episodes of Bob’s Burgers from this season, now the whole season 2 is “not available for playback”. Main reason I’m posting here is I think the problem coincides with when I installed the xfinity app on the xbox360. That xfinity app seems to have caused more harm than it’s worth, another bug I have experienced and it seems to be common among other xfinity users who installed the app, my bandwidth meter at comcast’s billing site went away. I used to be able to track how much I have downloaded in a given billing cycle, but ever since the xfinity app monkey’d with my modem, the tracking is gone. Anyways, I thought you might want to look into other users who are having the video not available error and see if they too had installed the xfinity app, perhaps it’s a common link.

• Hi Lisette,

Thanks for posting. Sorry for the streaming issues. If you can message us at ( http://www.hulu.com/support/support_form ), we’d be happy to help.

• Lisette Journet says:

I am having problem watching streaming on the TV without it start and stop every 5 sec. I try disconnect the moden as your tech told me for a minute or pause it for a while, but it hasn’t help at all.
    You sure need to fix this problem, because it happens to all your customers.
    I will cancel the service when the episodes finished.

• cirsh says:

Downloaded your ‘awesome’ apparently on Xbox. It says I need Xbox live subscription before I can log in. Too bad I’m already logged into Xbox live. What the heck! Tell me how to fix or bye bye huluplus. Ill watch a black screen for less

• Andrew says:

I read the comments and suggestions effecting this issue and ive got to say it being a billing or account issue is bogus since I’ve never had a problem with Hulu on my PS3. Ive only owned a xbox since a month ago and have yet to get Hulu to play anything on it. I hear netflix works well for both systems and will switch unless something changes soon.

• Hi Desiree,

I’m sorry to hear about the troubles you’re having with our app on the Xbox. We’d be glad to look into these issues with you. Just to make sure, have you already contacted us via the support form on our site ( http://www.hulu.com/support )? We can take an in-depth look at your account and problems you’re having.

Thanks!

• Desiree says:

Ok, I left a message yesterday from my phone, but idk if it worked or not. So here it is again in a nutshell:

1. have a button on the in-screen menu that’s like a heart shape or something (next to play, pause, etc…) that puts a show on your favorites list instantly. Works better for Netflix, but you guys should use it too.

2. Where does the cursor go when I select a show from my favorites menu? I select the show, and then its just nowhere, so I have to toggle the analog to make the screen move around and it finally shows up. But I have a chronic condition that makes me nauseous easily, and its like I get car sick just looking at it. Idk if this bothers other people like me, but I just think it would be nice if it selected “resume show” automatically, and then actually played the most recent episode of that show (I have had it play the one I had already seen more than once) If it is supposed to do it, then I guess my account is glitchy or something, but either way its a problem. I have also tried pressing A as soon as it gets to the menu, but nothing happened.

3. the sound gets distorted at random. At first I thought Once Upon A Time was doing this awesome thing where the music in the “real world” is distorted until they solve the mystery, and everyone is back in fairy tale or whatever. But no, I noticed it in other shows, and I realized it was just like a record skipping. It gets all digitally, and ruins shows like SMASH.

That is all… for now. Sorry for the long note. I wanted to be thorough.

• Kealii says:

Well I finally decided to try out Hulu Plus on the Xbox. Never used Hulu before but heard a lot of good things about it. After registering to try out the 1-week free trial I come to find that NOTHING plays back on the Xbox. Instead, I constantly get an error message saying, “This video is no longer available for playback.” Really! Really? I logged out and logged back in as I saw someone had suggested … no dice. Rebooted the X360 and it still is a no go. Well, so much for the trial. I refuse to be a guinea pig or troubleshooter.

• Hi Rachel,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I’m sorry for the account trouble, I believe I understand what may be happening here. With this type of error message on the Xbox, “this video is no longer available for playback” –  it can show up when an account is on Hold due to a billing issue. To review your account status, please head to ( http://www.hulu.com/profile ). Thank you!

• Rachel says:

why am i paying for something thats not working?.. it keeps saying no longer available for playback.

• Rachel says:

im having the same issues…eevery single video i try to play on hulu plus (on the xbox), it says no longer available for playback. um yea, why are we paying for something thats not working?? any info hulu support can provide would be amazing..

• James says:

This started about a week or two ago but evey video I try to play from my Xbox it says”video is no longer available for playback” so why am I paying for something I can’t use

• ben says:

Have had Hulu plus for awhile now and it just started about 3 months ago buffering all the time. I have tried everything. Yesterday went and bought a new router the linksys 4200 the best one they got and still has buffering issues. Netflix has no problems and zune has no problems but Hulu does. Is there any way to fix this?

• Jusitn S says:

Hello, wondering if anyone else is experiencing problems with HuluPlus on the xbox 360. every tv show or movie I try and watch it says “This video is no longer available for playback” its really getting frustrating.

• Hey Rob, we’re so sorry for the trouble here. I will pass along your feedback (points 2+3) about the interface so that our developers can consider these improvements for the next update. In terms of the buffering though, what are your http://www.speedtest.net ping and download results, out of curiosity? Are you hardwired?

• Rob says:

Just joined Hulu Plus. Holy Hulu, the XBox Hulu app GUI is terrible.

1. I have super fast Comcast and stream HD great, but on Hulu, I’m constantly seeing buffering problems. I tried to pause and let the show buffer, but I see NO BUFFER. This buffering issue is terrible and has ruined several viewing of Modern Family.

2. Then there is the annoying playback interface. Only Left on the D-Pad brings up the menu??? Hitting any color button kicks you out of the show and into the menus without even a “Are you sure you want to exit the show?”!!! Then there is no easy to way to resume watching. When you finally navigate back to the show, you start from the beginning and see commercials again! Who designed this crap! Fire the designer and the entire XBox Hulu App team.

3. The XBox Menu system is terrible. I’m watching Modern Family. Think your app could remember that? So it’s the first thing I see when I log into Hulu. I have to go to Recent Activity, which shows all the episodes I’ve finished watching, but not the next episode in the sequence. Did anyone test usability of this App because it’s almost unusable.

Sorry for the emotional comments, but it’s a really bad effort.

• M. W. says:

On the Xbox 360 version of HULU Plus, the NBC show Community does not show up in HD. I tried another show (ABC’s Revenge) and there was no issues. It showed up in HD with no problems. I have a very fast internet connection, and when I watch Community on the PS3, it shows up in HD every single time. The PS3 is actually further than the xbox. Both hard wired.

• Charlie says:

I am having the same trouble with Hulu. 20+ mbps internet and Hulu still buffers. I log out, go to Zune Marketplace and watch and movie or TV show, and it works just perfect! I am also using wireless, however my router is about 10 feet away from it. I tried deleting and adding HuluPlus again but that did not change anything.

So sad, thinking about cancelling but I really want it to work. Netflix used to send me emails when I would have trouble with a show, it was nice to know that some system was watching performance.

• Brian Edsell says:

I’ll throw in my two cetns. Been having the 3/4 bars, buffering issue for a while now and it’s driving my bonkers. I know it’s not my internet connection because I can have a totally fine experience with Hulu+ on my mobile phone and have buffering issues on the Xbox. I’ve also made sure that nothing else in the house is using the internet connection and the buffering still happens. I’m hoping today’s Live Update addresses these issues. If it doesn’t, all try deleting and re-adding the app. But this is ridiculous.

• Chris Dockey says:

i didn’t read everyone post but to solve that 3/4 bars problem try uninstalling huluplus from your storage device then reinstall it. That worked for me. Solved the constant buffering bs. Hope that helps…

Live Long and Prosper

• Matthew Harvey says:

I also have had issues since the new dashboard update. Before I was able to get HD streaming, full bars, without any buffering. And that was with 12 Mbps! Then the update came out. My HD started showing 3 out of 4 bars and buffering every 10 seconds. I tried all the troubleshooting on their support page, but nothing fixed the issue. I had my Internet Provider come out and check all my connections and even up my speed to 30 Mbps! I have checked my connection speed at speedtest.net over and over again. I still don’t get the full HD! Still at 3 out of 4 bars. Still get buffering every 10 seconds (though only on certain shows now). Can you please do something to fix this. I’ve exhausted all my resources on my end so I’m pretty sure it has to be on Hulu’s end at this point. Please fix these issues with an update or something or I’ll just cancel my subscription and go with Verizon Fios.

• guitfnky says:

not much new to add to the laundry list of negative comments, but I’ll add my 2 cents anyway.

buffering issues (except during commercials; god forbid there’s a playback issue THERE!), playback memory issues (I’ll finish watching something, and click the continue watching button and it’ll start the same episode I just watched), and somehow, most irritatingly, interface issues. this is easily the most convoluted, @$s-backwards interface I’ve ever used. why it adds each individual episode of a show to my queue as a separate entity that I have to scroll through rather than just listing the show itself is beyond me. yesterday I was trying to navigate to a particular episode of a show, and found it in 3 or 4 different sections. I can’t even describe it, that’s how ridiculous it is.

the buffering thing is kind of hilarious when I can stream anything on Netflix in HD without so much as a hiccup (ever), but I get all sorts of problems with Hulu. seems that if you’re in the business of streaming video over the interwebs, you might want to go with, you know, a streaming format that’s sort of efficient. just a thought.

I need Hulu for now since I’m trying to finish watching a particular show that’s not available on Netflix’s streaming yet, but once that’s done, I will very likely be canceling my Hulu plus membership.

I can’t say enough bad things about this service, and that’s saying something, since I’m generally a very positive person. horrible, horrible, horrible.

• Karl says:

Please fix the following problem: When invoking the voice commands in the queue, if the episode is a date (i.e. episodes of “The Colbert Report” or “The Daily Show”), I am unable to select the episode with my voice. Please consider changing the voice command from a date to an episode number (i.e. “Episode 278″)

I have no other issues with the HuluPlus app on Xbox, but this one is a bit annoying.

• Dusty says:

Ever since update, only get 3/4 bars with a 30/5 Mbps internet connection.

• Garrett Ford says:

This is completely unacceptable. I had not one problem with your service before the XBOX Live dashboard update, and ever since, it’s been like dealing with a different company. I won’t even begin to address the new layout problems because there are too many. The quality is by far the bigger issue. Not one episode of anything I have played has been above VHS quality. The night before the update, and every time before that, the quality and functionality were perfect. Now, Everything plays for 20 seconds, then buffers, then repeat that 20 times and never reaches HD. This is a huge step backward. Same internet, same account, same tv, same XBox. Please read this and other comments similar. I like the service you offer, but this quality on XBOX (my main way of viewing) is unaceptable. Please find whatever worked before and replace it, or Hulu has lost my business

• VPM says:

Hulu Lu’s is not working after latest update. It continues to ask for gold subscription login even though login is already on gold. Any fixes?

• Aaron says:

Please fix the queue on Hulu Plus! It needs a list view to be useable to someone with more than a few shows favorited. I need the ability to quickly look and see what episodes I have listed by show. How about adding something so we can see what’s expiring soon as well?

• Sam says:

As Nate referenced, I cannot get streaming episodes to play after the Xbox 360 update. This does not happen on my laptop. It’s frustrating and at this point not the worth the cost of the Plus service. If there is a fix, it would be helpful for Hulu support staff to post information here.

• j.smith says:

I preferred the previous hulu interface. I used to be ab
    le to get to a shows episode page much quicker to see shows that weren’t on my favorite list. Now it takes five time more clicks. And don’t get me started on the Netflix app. The ps3 hulu interface is better and the service is free. Wtf Xbox…..

• Andrew says:

I’ve had enough. I’m cancelling my Hulu Plus membership. The new interface is utterly ridiculous. It seems like it was designed for mobile phones, not Xbox. I used to be able to just go to my history and watch the next episode of a show. Now it seems to take about five steps to get to the episode I want. Everything is harder than it needs to be with this interface. I don’t understand why you would replace a good, functional interface with this POS.

• Hi Nate! I’m really sorry to hear about the streaming trouble you are having after this recent update. We’d certainly love to get you back up and running, so please contact us at ( hulu.com/support ). Look forward to hearing from you!

Mike

• Theodore Crawford says:

This. Update. Is. Terrible.

“Brenden” put it well-

1. As has already been reported by Mike, the one click process to add/remove a show from the queue now takes 4 steps. Glad to see I’m not the only one who’s not a fan.

2. Just like #1, it is no longer possible to play a video from the main queue screen by hitting Y. This now requires an extra click & screen load as well.

3. During video playback RB/LB no longer skip backward/forward ~30 seconds, they skip all the way to the beginning/end of the video. I have to imagine this is a glitch, because no UI developer with even the slightest experience could justify a need for such a feature.

4. Again during video playback, the start button used to pause/start the video with one push. Now push one brings up the playback control bar, push two performs the action. Once more, twice the work for a previously simple task.

Basically, everything takes longer. Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea?

• Nate says:

Prior to the update I was extremely happy with Hulu on my xbox. Ever since the update had occurred i am getting nothing but streaming errors. I can only watch 30 seconds then it pauses and takes at least 10 seconds for it to play again. It very frustrating to watch a show in this way. Unless this is fixed soon I will be cancelling my subscription. I am able to play Hulu on my laptop fine with no issues whatsoever.

• Color Washed Out says:

I am a bit of a videophile, and the color is clearly washed out — it’s flat. My TV is one of the best TV’s you can buy and has been calibrated (a locally dimming LED). This should really be addressed.

• Katie says:

Not only is the interface just as terrible as the new Xbox 360 interface, but now I can’t watch more than 2 minutes of any show without buffering issues. It’s bad enough that paying customers have to watch advertisements, but now it’s the only thing I can watch without seeing the buffer-timer.

I will cancel Hulu Plus, and using Hulu all together if this continues. Thanks for nothing.

• Marcus Welby says:

My Sunday morning ritual was upset when I was not able to browse recently added clips therefore I can’t find SNL clips from last night’s show. Under the SNL clip tabs I only find 100 rather old clips. However, on the Hulu web site they are easily accessible.

• Monica says:

Not only should you fire whoever designed your new UI, you should ban them from ever working with technology again.

Hands down THE WORST, most back-tracking, annoying interface ever.

• Aniruddha says:

The new update is horrible. The quality I am getting is unacceptable, it is not even standard DVD quality, plus the color is washed out. I have a LED backlight TV, and before the update the HD and non-HD episodes looked great. The descriptions of the episodes which had HD written before the update doesn’t have them anymore. Instead, while buffering, I see “in HD quality” slapped over with 3/4 bars, but the final reception is pretty bad. If this continues, I am going to cancel my subscription.

• Josh D. says:

I imagine Hulu will blame MS, and I tend to agree. Videos are snappy on my iPad and Roku.

This new interface is terrible if you don’t have a Kinect. Thinly-veiled planned obsolescence.

• Adam Hurst says:

Like Mark McHaney my streaming is at a lower rate then I’ve grown accustomed to and the inferior quality of picture makes me sad. Another thing that should be looked into is the noise that is made when I back out of a show’s episode or menu. The noise seems to be too loud and I find it abrasive and annoying. Other than these two negative things the new set up is overall pretty sexy and a great improvement.

• Bryan says:

Personally, I like the new features and visual layout. Yet, there seems to be HD issues with shows. I have watched several shows and clips and nothing seems to be HD streaming, even though during the loading screens it states it to be so. There are also seems to be audio volume problems, increasing and decreasing radomly throughout the show. And commercials also much louder than the show.

Any suggestions?

• Josh Holtrust says:

Hulu… I like the way your new app looks on Xbox, but it needs some tweaking. Before the update, I always had HD streaming, no problems. Now, I rarely have it. Shows also freeze now, they never did before. I have Road Runner Turbo, so my internet is definitely not to blame. Also, I have 2 xbox 360′s, both updated, and both are having the exact same problems. Hulu on my computer is working great, however, I’d rather watch shows on a 60 inch big screen versus a 15 inch laptop screen, I’m sure you’d agree! ;-)

I’d also like to thank you for not royally screwing up your app as much as Netflix did their new app. Head on over to the netflix blog and check out how many POSITIVE comments they have on their update… (Hint: There aren’t very many!)

• Jeff says:

I can no longer stream HD after the update. What gives? Why am i paying for this?

• Brendan says:

While overall I’m ok with some of these changes, and I do think the new app looks sleeker in general, there are 4 specific things I’ve encountered after only 5 minutes of use that I think are glaring UI steps backwards:

I’m a fan of change, and generally optimistic that things evolve in a good way over time, but these to me are a few fairly obvious ‘updates’ that make the new UI unnecessarily complicated and less intuitive. I really hope these were just oversights that get some attention for a future patch, and not some sort of calculated move. If they were explicitly intentional, then I simply don’t understand the logic.

• Josh says:

I’m not concerned with the bars and quality, I still get my shows in HD, but I want to know… with the new APP, did you guys get rid of the “WEB ONLY” crap? It seems like you guys did!!! Please confirm this… if it is true, im PSYCHED! –Josh

• mtaylor says:

i was just watching room 6 on hulu.in the middle of a very intense scene,the movie started messing up.then the movie ended.

• Hi Mark,

That’s very understandable, and we’ll be sure to include your comments in our feedback loop regarding the latest update.

• Hi Michelle,

Please head over to our support form (http://hulu.tv/C), and we’d be happy to troubleshoot this with you. Thanks, and sorry to hear you are having some complications.

• Mike Sklens says:

The new app is much improved. It makes finding my favorite shows easier. However, I do have one small complaint. On the old app, when browsing your queue you could easily remove shows from the queue with a simple press of the X button. Now you need to press A to select the show, move to the “remove from queue” option, press A to remove the show from the queue, and then press B to back out to the queue. You turned a 1 step process into a 4 step process. Not cool!

Also, I still hate that on the Xbox, the queue lists the oldest item first, but on the PS3 it lists the newest item first. I think newest first is the best option.

• Kelley says:

Any plans on making HULU available for Wii any time soon? I currently subscribe to HULU + and can only watch it on my computer. Making HULU available on the wii would be a wonderful Christmas present!!

• Michelle says:

I can not get the Hulu app to install now that the update is complete.

• Rafael says:

We can see closed caption now?

• Mark McHaney says:

I actually feel like its more difficult to navigate the new update vs. the old system. I also find that it is streaming at a lower rate (3 bars vs the 4 vars I was always getting), and so my image quality is worse, which is very disappointing. Hopefully it will correct itself as the servers get less congested from everyone updating, but for the moment, I’m not as happy as I was.

• Alex Combs says:

Its unfortunate, but Hulu Plus is much more difficult to use now on the 360. You guys really should’ve tested how people actually use the interface. Try going from the episode list of one show and into another show. Or even playing the next episode after finishing one in the same series.

In both cases, it takes way too many actions to get to the next show you want to watch.