Today We Bring the Hulu Community…Community!

December 2nd, 2011 by Alex Kruglov Content Acquisition

If you turn on any episode of Community, you are likely to end up holding your belly and shaking with laughter.

But if you are one of the millions who have been watching Community from the pilot episode to the present, you are likely to be rolling around on the floor with tears of joy streaming from your eyes.

In this golden age of ensemble comedy, the Community characters stand out with their addictive personalities and a new level of quirkiness. Led by the charismatic (and douchy) ex-lawyer Jeff (Joel McHale) who accidentally forms a study group to get into anarchist Britta’s (Gillian Jacobs) pants, our Spanish study group includes characters ranging from the millionaire Pierce Hawthorne (Chevy Chase) to the ex football star Troy (Donald Glover) to (my personal favorite) aspiring filmmaker Abed (Danny Pudi). And let’s not forget Shirley (Yvette Nicole Brown) the sassy divorcee, Annie (Alison Brie) the geeky sexpot, and illustrious Spanish teacher Señor Chang (Ken Jeong).

Thanks to Dan Harmon’s superb writing, Community is unafraid of smart storytelling and nails cultural specificity and off-the-wall inside humor in every episode. What other shows in television history can you name that can successfully go from an episode where characters become zombies, to an episode where they scheme to take over the chicken tenders industry? Not many.

It’s my great pleasure to announce that starting today, Community is coming to Hulu and Hulu Plus. Hulu Plus will be the exclusive place where fans can watch every episode from every season. Fans can now watch every episode (current and back seasons) of Community on the Hulu Plus subscription service. Hulu Plus subscribers will have next-day access to current season episodes of Community as well as the entire back library of seasons 1 and 2, in HD, on Internet-connected TVs, gaming consoles, Blu-ray players, set top boxes, and mobile phones and tablets. Users of the free Hulu service can continue to watch five episodes of the current season the day after air.

Check out the latest episode of season 3.

We know there is a large contingency of die-hard Community fans out there—after all, Community has been one of the top 20 shows of all time on Hulu, and was the top-performing comedy in Hulu’s “Best in Show” competition two years running. Just this week, viewers voted it as their favorite show in a TV Guide poll. Hulu is all about finding a specific show that we know will resonate with a specific audience segment on Hulu. We want to create a place where Community fans can watch the show and share your favorite hilarious moments with your friends using Hulu’s social features like Facebook Connect and the Hulu app on Facebook. Tell us what your favorite Community moment is! Here’s one of ours (was this the birthplace of Childish Gambino?). Happy watching!

• you’re in reality a excellent webmaster. The web site loading speed is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a great task on this matter!

• ADM says:

they used the word “sassy.” *sigh*

• JoSCh says:

Does anyone know how to make Hulu Plus email me when a show goes from “Web Only” to available on connected devices like it did with Community. I was fairly certain it was from the web home page of the show, but I can’t find a similar thing on the Hulu page for The League, and I’m not sure it will get as much hype if/when it leaves “Web Only”.

Also, do it Hulu.

• Josh says:

I am by no means a mass media expert, but I consume a fair amount of it. While the news of Community’s availability on devices other than a computer screen is what I’ve been waiting to hear, I have reservations about celebrating just yet. My fear is that it will just end up being another casualty of new media experimentation. Hulu has done a great job toward monetizing streaming media, but I fear that pulling the show from the broadcast lineup (generally a bad omen for a show) to be released as “exclusive” content on Hulu is potentially dangerous for all involved.

The first party to suffer from this move is NBC. In my poorly informed understanding, a show’s ratings heavily influence its profitability. An advertiser won’t buy time from NBC to run ads if no one will be watching. Thus, a show like Community, good in its own right, suffers when the ratings don’t adequately reflect its true viewership. When shows were only available to be watched or recorded by VCRs during their time slot, rating numbers may have been more accurate. In this day and age, audiences may watch shows during their time slot, record shows to a DVR to watch later, wait to watch shows in higher quality after entire seasons are released on DVD or Blu-ray, watch streaming episodes or even download shows from file sharing sites. Ratings, therefore, are becoming less and less indicative of a show’s true value and worth. Classic examples of shows that suffered from this media consumption paradigm shift are Family Guy and Arrested Development – two multi-Emmy award winning shows on the Fox network that were cancelled and later revived. I believe NBC’s reputation will take the first hit. By removing Community from their broadcast, they are sending a message that it is somehow a second-class show. This will not sit right with many fans. One of the series’ stars, Joel McHale, has already taken the opportunity to mock and jeer NBC on his other show The Soup. The audience wants to be confident that a media outlet makes the best decisions dealing with the types of programming they deliver. This move will diminish rather than boost the audience’s confidence in NBC.

As a destination for streaming media across TVs, mobile devices and the Web, Hulu is paving the way for new media. Hulu has shown to be a great place for exclusive content as well. It seems to set a bad precedent then that NBC will use it as a dumping ground for a show it believes isn’t worth airing on television. This is not Hulu’s fault, and the revenue generated from Community’s availability across all devices should go toward proving Community’s worth. It is not Hulu’s responsibility, though to change the way old media understands ratings and viewership. NBC needs to find a better way to pitch a show to advertisers without having to interrupt a show’s distribution mid-season. NBC’s poor practices have dragged Hulu’s name through the mud.

And lastly, Community’s fans will suffer. Though the shift from broadcast television to streaming media is coming hard and fast, a show that isn’t on broadcast television is a show that is not available to all audiences. I am surprised that it took this long for Community to come to all devices through Hulu. Watching episodes at my desk in a computer chair is not my ideal experience. For fans like me, having Community available exclusively on Hulu will actually let me watch the show more. Other fans that don’t have the ability to watch Community in a way other than broadcast television are now going to have to go without – or pony up their hard earned cash to pay to see a show they were already paying to see.

Overall, I am excited about the burgeoning new media revolution. I only hope that the growing pains don’t end up killing off great programming like Community. I wish Hulu the best of luck, and hopefully, NBC will see the true worth of the ability to find and enjoy the world’s premium video content when, where and how one wants it.

• cj says:

Finally on Hulu Plus! Yes! Thank you thank you thank you

• Scott says:

FANTASTIC! Thanks very much, Hulu and NBC, for making this available for TV and iPad. I can hardly wait to catch up on the first season, which I missed.

• Grant says:

I have had Hulu Plus since the spring, and this combined with the Zatoichi / Kurosawa movies on the Criterion Collection have made this service a must-have for me.

Now, if only I could watch this on my phone…but seeing as how it’s the incredibly powerful and just as incredibly ignored Samsung Galaxy S2, it doesn’t seem as if I’ll be able to watch this on the go…which is sad.

Come on, guys. Either it’s Samsung or it’s Hulu, and one of you needs to just make it happen.

• Gadgetron_3000 says:

‘Community’ deserves to be available on more services like this so more and more people can appreciate it.

Thanks, Hulu!

• Amy says:

THIS IS AWESOME!! I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH..plus Community has been one of the top 20 shows of all time on Hulu! thats so cool

• David says:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
    HULU PLUS IS TOTALLY WORTH IT NOW

• TJ says:

This is AWESOME!

• Brian says:

I would +1 this 10 times if I could. ;)