OMFG. Current Season Shows From The CW Are Coming to Hulu and Hulu Plus.

October 28th, 2011 by Andy Forssell Acting CEO and SVP of Content

At Hulu, my team and I spend a lot of time watching TV shows and debating what makes a show great. Attracting 15 million viewers certainly makes a show a candidate for being great, but it’s not sufficient, nor frankly even necessary. A far more important indicator of greatness is that the show has a certain something that makes viewers care, and care deeply . . . for the plot, for the characters, for the chance to urge their friends to watch the show and the chance to talk about it together afterward.   Great TV is TV that is discussed as “insightful” or “touching” or “funny” or “shocking,” to be admired by critics, celebrated by pop culture writers, and to be watched over and over again by passionate fans.

Even though I’m admittedly not the target demographic for The CW — a network that targets young women ages 18-34 — that doesn’t mean I can’t recognize and appreciate great content when I see it. And The CW is home to some of the most engaging and clever shows on TV today. The CW’s serialized dramas and reality series are precisely the kind of shows we aggressively pursue for our service – the kind of shows that attract a young, engaged, and savvy fan base . . . and that make that fan base care deeply.

This is why the Hulu team is so excited about our new five-year licensing agreement with The CW to bring current season programming to the Hulu Plus subscription service and the free, ad-supported Hulu service.

When shows from The CW arrive on our service later this year, Hulu Plus will be the only online subscription service to offer next-day access to the most recent five current primetime episodes, in HD, on internet connected mobile phones, tablets, gaming consoles, blu-ray players and set-top boxes, while users of the free Hulu service will be able to watch five episodes of current season programming eight days after airing.

Programming on Hulu and Hulu Plus will begin with the nine series on The CW’s Fall 2011 schedule, including new series “Ringer,” “Hart of Dixie” and “The Secret Circle,” as well as returning hits “The Vampire Diaries,” “Gossip Girl,” “Supernatural,” “Nikita,” “90210” and “America’s Next Top Model.”

This agreement is a new high-water mark for online video streaming services. With this deal, Hulu will offer users of both Hulu and the Hulu Plus subscription service current season episodes from 5 of the 6 broadcast networks (ABC, The CW, FOX, NBC, and Univision) before the end of the year.  This is in addition to the more than 45 other content partners from whom we offer current season TV programming, including A&E, Bravo, Comedy Central, E! Entertainment, FX, History, MTV, Spike and USA Network to name just a few.

In total across the Hulu and Hulu Plus subscription service, we offer users more than 42,000 full TV episodes from current seasons, prior seasons of current TV shows, and old favorites that are no longer on the air.

For the past 4 years, we have been hard at work building a differentiated and high-value service for our three customers (users, content owners and advertisers).  We are proud that Hulu is the only online video service to offer such a unique and compelling line-up of content.

Last comment: Oct 30th 2014 14 Comments
  • Carri Hamm says:

Why are episodes 2-5 missing from season 4 Vampire Diaries?

• Happy CWTV Fanatic!!! says:

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!! I am like the happiest person in the world right now! I have no cable, I just have hulu on my playstation and I was so depressed that I couldnt watch my cwtv shows and now I can!!!!

• marcus antonius says:

Oh great 5 years of crappy shows in which I have absolutely no interest and in which I see absolutely no redeeming value. thanks :P after the failed sale of the company I’m guessing this gives a false sense of security… the illusion that hulu has a future. to me this just looks like another oh well.

• pappapump says:

Ok that just about rounds out the pack. The ONLY thing I was missing on Hulu was the CW shows, and that makes this a homerun. I’d love to see TNT here, but there are only so many Christmas wishes a guy can make and expect a surprise.
    TYVM HULU! U Rock!

• Wendy says:

Any clue as to when exactly…???…

• Cody H says:

You know what would be better? Being able to see showtime, hbo and amc shows. Get those added and I will most definatly worship the ground your company walks on… But till then…not as impressed as I wanted to be…but I still use you! And did you hear, xbox 360′s getting hbo-go…wassup with that guys…get on it!!

• David Love says:

Finally can check Supernatural off the live tv list. That’s the last one. And if your advertisers and those network execs are listening? During the live commercials I take a break to the loo (yes, I just used the word “loo”). I’ll actually sit through them on Hulu.

Related tangent: I can finally stop switching between my antenna and my NES on my tv. The signal drops heavily going through that RF switch (even with an amplifier!). NES + 50″ plasma = awesome!

• Ken says:

This is all great news. Now if you could only get CBS, Discovery, Travel, and History channels. I would then have all of my content in one place.

• Sareeta says:

How it this any different from what The CW has been doing—offering the most recent 5 episodes on their website?

Also, hasn’t Netflix struck a deal with The CW where they have streaming rights to current and previous seasons of most of The CW’s shows?

• gonzo90017 says:

on some of the shows available on Hulu Plus like the Simpsons. CW has always has has their shows available on their website. All they’re doing is charging for them now.

• gonzo90017 says:

As a current Hulu Plus subscriber i’m not very impressed with this deal. When Hulu Plus first came out, the selling point was having access to entire seasons for current shows. Hulu only offered access to the last 5 episodes.

Now the selling point for Hulu Plus is having access to the last 5 episodes which used to be free on regular Hulu? So you’re basically now charging for content that used to be free. And yes I understand CW was not part of Hulu or Hulu plua before. I’m talking about the current season

• Jaret says:

Your title is offensive. Learn some respect as a company.

• Katie Hart says:

Yay! Hulu is my absolutely favorite platform for watching currently airing shows. Even if I’m able to watch a show live, I always love being able to double-check quotes and events while I’m writing a review of the episode on my TV blog.

• annmarie ohara says:

YEA! I CANNOT WAIT. YOU CAN ONLY TIVO SO MANY SHOWS.