Hulu Equity Owners Announce Decision To Terminate The Hulu Sale Process

October 13th, 2011 by Hulu

The following is a joint statement from Hulu owners News Corporation, Providence Equity Partners, The Walt Disney Company and the Hulu senior management team:

“Since Hulu holds a unique and compelling strategic value to each of its owners, we have terminated the sale process and look forward to working together to continue mapping out its path to even greater success.  Our focus now rests solely on ensuring that our efforts as owners contribute in a meaningful way to the exciting future that lies ahead for Hulu.”

• matthew says:

I’m getting real sick of plugging my computer into my google tv. I’m canceling my hulu account, now.

• Ben says:

I agree with all the other disgruntled would be customers. As a company, you are failing miserably in providing a meaningful product to a consumer base that is wholeheartedly eager to purchase your product. What I find most offensive and most likely to cause my future rejection of your product (should you ever decide to make it available to Google users), is that when directly asked what the incompatibility with Google is,a generic copy & paste response is given.

“Before we can support Google TV, however, we need to obtain a specific set of streaming rights for our content. In addition, we also need agreements in place with our content providers, hardware manufacturers, and Google itself.”

It seems obvious that the above statement is fodder, with the exception of needing an agreement with Google itself. Hulu+ is available on other Sony devices and other Android devices. However, since I have a Sony device with the Android platform built in, then neither Hulu or Hulu+ are available to me. It really baffles me. Hulu supports Sony, it supports Android and I could theoretically connect any laptop or desktop to any large screen TV and watch Hulu for free….but Hulu and Google are going to make certain that NO ONE can enjoy Hulu on any Google TV device…… Google isn’t going to lose my patronage, they have me by the short hairs, Hulu does not however and never will due to this simple failure.

• Disappointed says:

Ugh. Why haven’t you worked it out yet??? Using playon as a work-a-round, but it’s not great. Ticks me off to pay for a service I can’t (and should be able to) access. Boo to Hulu.

• Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. We don’t support Google TV at the moment, but we’d love to add Hulu Plus to it in the future. Lots of folks ask us about it, so we definitely know there’s a demand.

While there’s no official news, if or when Google TV support is announced, you’ll see it at ( http://www.hulu.com/plus/devices ).

If there’s anything else I can address for you, please let me know.

• Steve says:

Any news on the Logitech Revue working with Hulu?

• ColterSeth says:

I just cancelled my Hulu Plus account because I cannot access it through Google TV, let me know when I can and I will gladly subscribe again.

• TMPOOH says:

Terminated Hulu Plus today. I’ll be happy to resubscribe when you add support for Logitech Revue. I don’t use service enough presently to justify. It seems the Revue would be a natural interface to service. Too bad you don’t see it. Feel free to notify me of availability when this is corrected.

• BenK says:

Your treatment of Google TV as a red-headed step-child is the main reason why I’ll never subscribe, and I actively tell people to stay far away from your service. Like the person right below me, it’s 2012, get with the way things are and open it back up.

• queengina says:

2012;; how about now? google tv users want and would actually pay to use it; but make us wait any longer and the company that is doing it’s best to take over internet tv will come crashing down; open up the port..

• screwhulu says:

These companies can no longer provide content people want at an acceptable price. I’ve cancelled my cable service for $140/mth and am now solely using Netflix and Amazon video on demand and am loving life. I would have happily paid for Hulu plus but am discouraged with their banishment of Google TV after all this time.

• Robert says:

Hulu lost another one here!

Netflix and Amazon both offer a better product for me to watch movies and tv shows on my Logitech Revue/Google TV…. PLUS what’s the big deal about what device is used to access content online?

What a joke. Consumers help build companies. If Hulu keeps ignoring them it could spell bad news for them. Look at what happened to Blockbuster……

• Juan Fermin says:

What REALLY gets me upset is the fact that the Free users are lumped in with us PAYING users. Hulu Plus should be available to ALL users.
    How is it possible that Netflix is available on my Google TV AND my Asus Tablet for just $8 bucks a month with a HELL of a lot more movies, quite a few TV shows and ZERO, that’s right ZERO Ads.
    In the mean time, I’m paying THE SAME PRICE for Hulu Plus basically for shows that I could simply set my DVR to record and fast forward through the commercials… something I can’t do on Hulu!
    Well, I’ve made up my mind and I’m canceling my Hulu Plus subscription. Since getting my Google TV I now RARELY tune into my PS3 anymore (which is what I used my Hulu Plus for).
    To top it off, as a Prime Member on Amazon, I now get the VOD program for free, which gives me access to a bunch of shows I couldn’t even get on Hulu, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
    Let’s face it Hulu, your Plus service doesn’t stack up when comparing to other services out there and your ridiculous insistence on blocking devices that Netflix AND Amazon VOD both support gives us plenty of options to go elsewhere.
    I already get Hulu on my Google TV utilizing Playon, but it is kind of a hassle to use a middle-ware service to get something you SHOULD support directly and to top it off, I don’t need Hulu Plus to use Playon on either my Tablet or on Google TV.
    So Goodbye Hulu, you won’t be getting any more of my cash. Your business model sucks and the crashing of your own IPO’s shows it.

• Juan Fermin says:

Maybe if we all cancelled our Hulu Plus accounts and started tuning our Google TV devices into The Free TV Project, it would get their attention.

• Jeremiah Ross says:

Maybe we can all meet each other half-way. I will keep my Hulu subscription (I don’t need it to watch the daily show and community; but want to encourage the hulu business model so that the networks can see that there is no need to lose revenue by releasing their catalogs online directly rather than going through Netflix or YouTube) and you just unblock my google TV browser from accessing the site?

• Scott Rumple says:

Why is it such a big deal to let Google TV people have Hulu Plus. We pay for the subscription just like netflix. I am tired of hearing the same corporate answer…”We are working on it” How hard can it be? It is not like there are millions of Google TV’s out there? It is not any different than a roku? I’m just sick of us as consumers being restricted from the products that WE pay for. I can understand that Hulu.com should be restricted because of it being free but for Hulu Plus? Come on and just give us a date? I’m tired of the wait. It has been years…what’s the hold up? It can’t be the networks because we pay for the Hulu Plus!
    Maybe Im wrong or mislead. Correct me if I’m wrong

• Gerry M says:

I am waiting for hulu to start supporting hp touchpads and google tv in order to subscribe.

• Lyn G says:

Hulu on Google TV soon please!

• Russell Ray says:

Any Idea on when you will be allowing streaming to google TV? im on the fence about continuing my subscription to HULU plus and that is one of the deciding factors for me.

• LaGeena Rowland says:

I would love to get Hulu Plus but its not compatible with any of my TV’s . When will it be able to connect with the Tashiba Tv’s ? I hope sometime soon.

• Hi Eddie,

While we have not announced plans at this time to support Google TV devices, we get a lot of requests for it, so it’s definitely on our radar. Specifically, we’d love to add it as a supported device for Hulu Plus, so keep an eye out for that.

Albert

• Eddie Mikell says:

You guys EVER going to re-concile with google TV so I can get hulu on my logitech revue?

• Michel de Nostredame says:

To date Hulu CEO, Jason Kilar, has repeatedly tried and failed to cash in on Hulu. There was the failed IPO reported by the WSJ a little over a year ago. Poorly negotiated content deals for HuluPlus that made that service an irrelevant joke. Failed deals to go aboard in Europe. Now a failed sale of Hulu which exposed the real motives of Hulu’s evil network backers – to roll back streaming tv across the boards.

Predictions are that Kilar’s next big move will be to jump ship and find a new job asap. Presumably one where he can apply his inept management skills to yet another unsuspecting victim. Expect the move to happen soon, since Kilar has a narrow window of opportunity to make his departure before becoming a complete laughing stock. If he’s lucky Yahoo might tap him as their new CEO, a perfect fit to speed that company’s decline into the corporate graveyard.

• Good, now let the CEO do his job and continue Hulu’s expansion. But in return, you’ve got to continue to give him the tools (read leeway and CONTENT!) to let it succeed. Stop shooting yourselves in the foot and loosen up the content flow!

• Giovani says:

It’s good that Hulu’s given thought to various options.

I agree that, for now, independence is probably a wise course. With more choices, more people have a reason to get involved.

• John-the-fisherman says:

Hah! This is one of the funniest posts I’ve ever seen… “unique and compelling strategic value”?? The writing is on the wall and it’s not looking favorable for Hulu’s long term, medium term, or short term. The “unique value” is that Hulu’s partner-investors don’t want it to survive. There was a time when they did, but the new investor management wants Hulu out of the picture. Hulu is an unwanted child.

After careful investigation, the bidding parties determined that Hulu and the rights being offered were not sufficiently valuable. Google realized that something was rotten in Denmark, and sniffed the situation out by offering $4 billion and asking for longer term rights. The Google offer was declined. What do we learn from this? The investor-partners are willing to sell Hulu for $2B and then pull their rights a year or two down the line. No sane company would ever fall for that trap, and now that Yahoo! is consumed with its own demise, there are no insane companies willing to pony up the cash and get stuck with a dead green fish and no show contracts.

It’s really quite sad that things have shaken out so badly for a site that had potential. My heart is with the workers who have put so much into this company, and seen it so horribly and terribly mismanaged into wallflower status at the bidding prom.

• Chris says:

Why isn’t NBC universal on this press release?

• Brad says:

ok, so now bring hulu to my android tablet so I can actually use this service

• notovny says:

These are the first tines of the death knell. The only reason content companies haven’t strangled Hulu in its bed yet is because it would be tough to have a plausible alibi when it was still sleeping at their house.

The importance of the alibi has decreased significantly.

• Matt says:

Please don’t screw this up like some other companies have. *cough* netflix *cough*
    Streaming and connected devices is the future.

• Insomniac says:

Glad to hear it – hopefully you can continue to secure the rights to great shows.