with the help of
“Sweetheart, it’s an unwritten law. They never call when it’s your first time.”
“Well, it stinks.”
“That’s what first times are for. And the next time, it won’t be your first. That’s what being alive is all about.”
~ Deloris Herbig, Dead Like Me. Season 2, Episode 10
“Yes, so ever since I picked up my fingers, I mean a spoon… This is my first time on television, so I’m as nervous and worried as if I was running naked in 100 degrees but I shall try my best. Please look upon me favorably even if I stutter or don’t do well.”
“Yes, honestly, this is my first time, too. Please look upon me…”
“Please help us out.”
~ Gourmet. Episode 11It’s My First Time Week on the Hulu Blog, the first of many theme weeks that will attempt to explain life a little bit better with the help of TV. This week, we’re partnering with Thought Catalog, purveyors of great writing and the only non-twee stories of nostalgia on the whole entire Internet. Nobody can conquer tomes about moving in with a dude for the first time better than these people, so we called them on the telephone and asked them for help. Ready? Let’s crash this blog like it’s your first ATV.
- • A brief note about our theme.
- • Our fall TV preview lauds celebrities tepidly hammering nails into plywood and that deep sigh of relief when you don’t see a relative on COPS
- • Thought Catalog’s Ryan O’Connell on the time he fell in love with Buffy, and how you used to have to manually hover around a VHS player to tape things.
- • Josh Gondelman of Thought Catalog has some advice for Beyonce’s future kid, the First Child of Hip-Hop Royalty.
- • Martin Moakler recaps a midseason show he knows nothing about and has never seen before.
- • Ryan O’Connell of Thought Catalog talks about how he and Ricky from My So-Called Life were pretty much the same person for a while there.
- • Courtney Nasshorn goes through some of Twitter’s best and most famous first Tweets. We could not find Abraham Lincoln’s.
- • Stephanie Georgopulos talks about the first time she lived with a dude, but without the rabid insecurities of Zooey Deschanel on “New Girl.”
- • Brandon Gorrell thinks he may have found a Lost replacement, and it’s called Terra Nova.
- • Andrea Marker talks about her inner slayer that only comes out when she’s beating people up at Roller Derby bouts.
- • Hulu editor Rebecca Harper may have unearthed the secret predecessor to Breaking Bad’s Walter White.
- • Stephanie Georgopulos goes on first dates with Dexter and Jack Shephard and winds up playing Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3. Commence crush now.
- • James Goux digs deep into the Criterion Collection classic Seven Samurai, and discovers a game a lot of us played in middle school was sort of based on that movie.
- • Jessica Kim talks about the first kick of the alien growing inside of her, also known as her child.