Hulu: Now Available on Facebook

September 22nd, 2011 by Betina Chan-Martin Product Manager

We have entered an age where we share almost everything – we check in to restaurants when we eat, we share the music we are listening to, and we update our friends on the status of our day-to-day lives.

Because I work at Hulu, I watch a lot of popular TV episodes and clips online. (Some may say that I watch a lot of television, but I prefer to call it “research”.) My friends and I have always loved talking about TV shows and movies, and years ago (I won’t tell you how many), we had those conversations in our dorm rooms. Now, because of social platforms, we almost always discuss our favorite shows online.

Turns out, we are not alone. Since the public launch of Hulu.com in 2008, millions of Hulu users have connected with each other on Hulu discussion boards, by tweeting clips of shows, and sharing entire episodes on their Facebook walls. Even with all this sharing, our users have asked us to build a way to easily find, enjoy, and share popular TV shows and films.

This is what sparked our latest integration with Facebook.

Today, during the F8 Developer Conference, we announced the launch of the Hulu on Facebook app—a brand new integration with Facebook to that makes TV and movie watching from Hulu even more social.

The Hulu app on Facebook is a fully integrated experience that enables you to watch Hulu videos without leaving Facebook. And because you are watching through Facebook, the videos you watch will be instantly shared with your friends if you choose to do so.

The app will also show you what videos your friends are watching, and enable you to start conversations with others. As you are watching a new episode, clip, or movie from Hulu on Facebook, you can leave a comment on a particular moment in within the video, and share those comments with friends on both Facebook and Hulu.

Facebook will be aggregating the stories in such a way that you’ll be able to see all the likes, comments, and watches around a certain video, making it easy for you discover and share new TV shows and movies.

Using the Hulu on Facebook app is simple. Just click on any Hulu link in your news feed from any of your friends, and you’ll be taken to the Hulu on Facebook app. Or just add Hulu on Facebook the same way you add other apps. Once the Hulu app is added to your profile, you can easily watch Hulu content on Facebook anytime, instantly.

If you are a Hulu Plus subscriber, you’ll have access to the entire Hulu Plus library in addition to the shows on the free Hulu service through the Hulu on Facebook app. Discuss and share Hulu Plus content with your friends who also subscribe to Hulu Plus.

You can also easily adjust your share settings any time by clicking on the “share to feed” icon button in the player and selecting to share your watch activity with either “Hulu and Facebook” or “No One. Do Not Share What I Watch.” You can also change your settings in your Facebook privacy settings or on Hulu.com’s privacy and settings page to control what you share (if you choose to share anything).

We are excited about how this integration will help you find and enjoy premium content through your friends.

Happy watching. And, now, sharing.

• We have liked and the item I most covet from the Duke & Dutch range is Africa Earings

• Robin Fortier says:

We love HULU! Thanks for your large variety of movies, shows, etc. Thanks for being there for our family You’re the BEST HULU!

• Marvin Clonkey says:

I hate the GIANT “Post to Facebook” button. It’s the most dominant graphic on the page, including the show I’m watching. So annoying.

• Michael says:

That one extra step that takes you from your current newsfeed scrolling or wall gazing ruins sharing Hulu videos on Facebook. What was wrong with being able to play the video in the message? I get that Hulu and Facebook partnered up to offer more social integration but it flopped. When I click a Hulu link and expect to watch the video in the window but then get taken to another page..its essentially a pop-up. Now I have to scour YouTube for the videos I want so they can be easily viewed by my friends on Facebook. One thing you guys may notice..if someone posts a Hulu video to their wall, with this new system, it hinders the social fun. People no longer comment below the video because it was on another page. Compare Hulu videos being posted on Facebook, to those that came from YouTube. YouTube videos have much more interactions.

• Brett says:

Thank you, Hulu, for making me really dislike you. You cannot simply share a video on Facebook anymore; everyone must now accept the Hulu app to watch a video you post on their wall, and then go through another step just to watch the video. I used to share your videos all the time, but now I will never share another Hulu video with anyone.

• Chris,

When you connect your Hulu and Facebook accounts, you will indeed be able to share your videos with your friends. If you’re having any trouble with this, don’t hesitate to contact us at http://www.hulu.com/support so we can help you!

Thanks!

• Chris D says:

Will you be utilizing or providing a box that can be added to users timeline, similar to the example Facebook provided during f8 with Spotify?

I would love to be able to share on my Timeline what hulu videos I have shared with my friends.

• Ola says:

There should be a way to get to your queue from within the app or a way to broadcast back to Facebook from the hulu website or ipad app

• That feature isn’t available yet, but I know that’s something we’d specifically love to implement in the near future. Stay tuned.

Brad

• Edward says:

I understand that we’ll be able to share what we’re watching with our friends, but will we actually be able to simultaneously watch a show with them? I think it’d be pretty cool to be able to watch a show at the same time as my friend and be able to chat about it while it’s going on!

• Yes, you can post your viewing activity on Facebook off Hulu.com as well. Every video has a “Post to Facebook” option under the player.

Brad

• Katie Hart says:

Awesome! Especially love being able to connect specific moments to comments. Bravo!

• Merrily Abels says:

If we already have our existing Hulu accounts, how can they be utilized now on Facebook?

• Elyse says:

so what about if you’re not a premium hulu subscriber? will you be restricted from watching premium content when logged on thru fb ?

• mithun says:

Cool stuff! Can I only share my viewing activity via the “hulu on facebook” app? Or can it be done via the hulu.com website as well (I have a regular hulu account that is linked to my facebook profile).