Hulu Facebook Connect Update

July 1st, 2011 by Richard Tom VP, Platform Technology

Update 7/7/11: Facebook on Hulu is now live.

In the process of rolling out our Facebook Connect integration with Hulu, we discovered a technical issue affecting a limited number of users who connected to Hulu through Facebook. As soon as we learned of this issue, we immediately went into rapid response mode to find out the extent of the problem and to take steps to protect our users and ensure this doesn’t happen again.

Here’s what we know: When we launched our Facebook Connect feature early this morning, we discovered that a small number of users weren’t seeing their own Hulu account information upon login. We’re still drilling down on the precise nature of the issue, but we know that it was a coding and configuration error on Hulu’s side, and not the result of hacking, or other third party actions, or a vulnerability in Facebook Connect. We’ve been able to confirm approximately 50 affected users whose profile data, including email addresses, could have been accessed. But no one gained access to Hulu systems or highly sensitive user information such as passwords or credit card numbers.

Here’s what we have done and plan to do to ensure that this does not happen again: Out of an abundance of caution, we disabled all the connection points to Facebook Connect on Hulu, and we required all Hulu users to login again directly through our site. We are also taking the precautionary measure of resetting privacy settings to the most restrictive settings for anyone who logged into their Hulu account through Facebook during the affected period. Once we are certain that the issue has been fully addressed, we will re-launch our Facebook Connect program.

We apologize to any affected users, and we intend to do everything we can to make it right and avoid similar issues in the future.

• It is no mold remediation secret that most washers and dryers are in dark basements that do not allow your bread
    to turn moist. These, damp places provide a beautiful habitat
    for the mold remediation nasty mold. Know what to expect when you
    hire a professional for mold removal services. It could be
    growing beneath your rugs or behind your wallpaper.

• With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My blog has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any techniques to help stop content from being ripped off? I’d really appreciate
    it.

• Safari won’t beginning however , as i opened a web site which usually goes into business safari, The application works out alright. Just what exactly does someone conduct?

• Erika says:

Nearly everyone is feeling the money crunch these days.
    But even though Robert the character doesn’t go through each of the three steps back up– as an audience, we experience the whole journey, witnessing each step down from a new perspective as we race back up toward consciousness. The two main characters are Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber.

• Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article.

I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll
    certainly comeback.

• carlos says:

can log on to hulu tell me why

• I all the time emailed this blog post page to all my associates, as if like
    to read it after that my contacts will too.

• Ute says:

Great site you have got here.. It’s difficult to find good quality writing like yours these days. I honestly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

• /application says:

Hello it’s me, I am also visiting this website daily, this web page is in fact fastidious and the users are in fact sharing fastidious thoughts.

• Hi Bonnie,

For all account-related issues, please contact us at http://www.hulu.com/support. We’re more than happy to help!

Michael B.

• bonnie cutaia says:

I have also lost my accont c.bonnie69@gmail.com somehow on facebook farm.ville be cause it has lost account on facebook farmvilel now I cannot log on at all please fix this soon. send all info to bonstr69.bc@gmail.com thanks ill be looking forward to hearing from. you soon

• Mr Johnson says:

I love Hulu.

• research chemicals…

[...]Hulu Facebook Connect Update « Hulu Blog[...]…

• Facebook YouTube B2B…

[...]Hulu Facebook Connect Update « Hulu Blog[...]…

• Can you contact us at http://www.hulu.com/support so we can find a solution for you?

• Cherry Pie says:

I was promised a month of free hulu plus! when will i get it?!?!?

• Jeff says:

The facebook pop-up is stupid. It pops up every time I get to the Hulu homepage in firefox. Before I can even log in to my hulu account it pops up. No one keeps their cookies across browsing sessions anymore in this day and age.

Enable facebook connect as a configuration option in account settings once a user logs into hulu please. And stop lambasting me with stupid crap before I can even frickin’ log in.

Next on the agenda: Enable auto-play to pull content from your queue.

• Hi Em,

Thank you for your post. I’m very sorry about the repeated Facebook Connect notifications you have received when you log in to your Hulu account. I understand how frustrating it could be, especially if you’ve already chosen not to participate. I’m happy to report a fix has been implemented so you shouldn’t be unnecessarily bombarded any further. Once again, I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

If you’re still experiencing the issue please try clearing your browser cache ( http://hulu.tv/IuOu ).

If you continue to see notifications after you’ve already declined and cleared cache, we’d like to look into the issue. Please provide the following information when you have a free moment:

* How frequently are you seeing these notifications? (How many times per hour/day/week?)
    * Have you logged in to your Hulu account on different browsers?
    * Is your browser set to automatically clear cookies?

I look forward to your response, please send it to us at http://hulu.com/support . Let me know if there are any more questions I can answer for you.

James

• em says:

The facebook connect popup shows every time the homepage loads in chrome. It is horribly annoying.

You aren’t writing any cookie on close:

• Hulu Support Advocate says:

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for posting. The Facebook Connect pop-up should be easy to dismiss by X-ing out. Whether or not it pops up again is dependent on you either logging in or on a cookie. If you’re clearing your cookies regularly, the site will not be able to remember that you’ve seen this pop-up before unless you’re logged in.

James

• sandra says:

I love hulu but can’t get in anymore because a second log in screen keeps showing up to connect to facebook.. how do I get rid of it? Hate it. Don’t need facebook.

• Yi says:

I too was promised one month of hulu plus for free if I connect through facebook. When will I get my free one month?

• Yi says:

I too was promised one month free of hulu plus if i connected through facebook. When will we get our one month?

• Mae Ray says:

I cannot get on facebook

• William D. Hill says:

Can’t logon to HULU. Just sits and spins. Who need Facebook? Give me back HULU.
    Thanks for not telling anyone. Keeping things to yourself means they are not a problem or the problem is so bad you don’t want anyone to know.
    Just go back to your last good backup.
    You do have a backup don’t you?

• Chase Berger says:

About an hour ago, I linked my facebook account to my hulu and I still didn’t get a free month of Hulu Plus. When I try to watch Hulu Plus videos, I am only being shown a preview. I also checked my email and got an email from Hulu with a redeem link. I clicked on it and it took me to the Hulu Plus sign up page. Nothing really happened. Can you please email me a redeem CODE? I don’t want a redeem link. I want a redeem CODE. Thanks.

• I love Hulu, but I find it beyond troubling when something like this happens /and/ the issue is minimized by the management. I hope everyone whose home address was compromised is notified of such.

• Jason Thompson says:

A privacy issue with almost these exact same symptoms occurred on April 2, 2009. Logged in users were seeing profile data that belonged to a different user. (For example, I was seeing data for “Jennifer Sammons” on what was at the time the “Main” tab of the user profile.)

Perhaps that incident could be investigated for similarities.

• hank says:

I was promised a free month of hulu plus for linking up my facebook account with hulu. I did this. When am I getting my free month?

• Gabriella says:

Is there a reason why every time I go to the hulu homepage I can’t see the big box that changes slides, and a place for me to log in? It’s been doing this to me since yesterday around the time that the whole facebook thing was shutoff.

• Lara says:

This minimizes the issue. For example, “a small number of users weren’t seeing their own Hulu account information upon login” means a small–and what is “small”?–number of users were seeing someone else’s account information. Not just upon login, either. It was spontaneous. And “whose profile data, including email addresses” is particularly minimizing. Profile data including full name and billing address for Hulu Plus users.

• William Brown says:

Was sad to see the Facebook Connect program just disappear so soon but now I know why. I love having Facebook integrated with my accounts to allow easier posting and sharing of content. Hope to have it back soon.

• William Brown says:

Good thing. I was wondering why I could only share a comment about a show I was watching this morning and not later during the day. Hopefully the problem gets fixed soon. I really like having my Facebook account integrated with Hulu and other accounts. It makes logins and posting content I like to share easier.

• Chris says:

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you guys are taking the appropriate steps.