Now Available: Update v2.3 for Hulu Plus on iOS

April 20th, 2011 by Lonn Lee Sr. Product Manager, Hulu Mobile Applications

Today we released version 2.3 of our Hulu Plus iOS application in the Apple App Store.

Some noticeable changes in Version 2.3:

• - Search results are now organized into tabs, which are easier to review
  • - There is a dedicated button on the Movies menu for our popular and growing Criterion movie collection

Additionally, we made a number of changes under the hood to improve performance and video playback for both the iPhone and the iPad. This included fixing an issue with the resume functionality, which was affecting a small number of users.

If you’re an existing Hulu Plus subscriber with an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad, please download or update the app and try it out. Thanks for your continued support.

Lonn Lee
Hulu Mobile Applications Product Management

• cure says:

Magnificent submit, very informative. I wonder why the opposite specialists of this sector don’t understand this. You must continue your writing. I am confident, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Taking place i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to contribute & help different users like its helped me. Great job.

• I really thought it would be a great entertainment option when I saw the first Washington State local Chanel air an Advertisement for: “NOW GET ONE WEEK OF FREE STREAMING OR DOWNLOADABLE TELEVISION AND GREAT HOLLYWOOD MOVIES ON YOUR ANDROID O.S. HANDHELD DEVICE FROM ANYWHERE WI-FI OR2G/3G SERVICE IS AVAILABLE” SADLY ENOUGH THOUGH I LIVE AND WORK IN SUCH A TECHNOLOGICALLY advanced AREA OF THE WORLD AS ‘oops’ SEATTLE AND SURROUNDING AREAS( DIDN’T KNOW THIS WAS HOME TO THE R/D TEAM AT HULU) AND AT THE TIME I SAW THE COMMERCIAL I HAD 4th GENERATION SIGNAL AND THE EQUIPMENNT TO UTILIZE ITS’ POWER WITHOUT HAVING TO ROOT OR JAILBREAK ANYTHING. I WAS ABLE TO PLUG AN HDMI STANDARD TO HDMI MINI FROM MY MOTOROLA. DROID RAZR MAXX HD (YES WITHOUT OVERRIDING ANY OF THE MANUFACTURERS’ OR SERVICE PROVIDERS’ CONTENT PROVISIONING SO I THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE THE FREE WEEK A TRIAL AFTER ALL IT WAS A FREE WEEK.I WAS OPERATING WITH A BRANDED 4G MOBILE BROADBAND TRANSCEIVER TO A BRANDED 4G RECEIVER/EVERYTHING IMAGINABLE AND THINGS NOT YET AVAILABLE TO mainstream customer “DEVICE”, WELL ITS BEEN almost 9 months and I still cant do anything with HULU and I have DLNA EQUIPPED PRODUCTS ALL AS NEW AS MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO RETAIL IN LAST 90 DAYS AND I CAN SEE NOTHING OF HULU EXCEPT THE BRILLIANT GREEN THAT CAUGHT MY EYE IN THE FIRST PLACE SO MAYBE ALL THE DEMOGRAPHICS DATA WHICH WERE OBVIOUSLY TESTED AND STUDIED W THE GREEN X ON THE LITTLE BLACK BOX I USED TO LOVE SO MUCH WASN’T WASTED AFTER ALL YOU HAVE OBVIOUSLY BEEN RECEIVING THE RECURRING MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION TO A PRODUCT ,THAT AS FAR AS I CAN TELL DOESN’T HAVE ANY COMPATIBILITY ACROSS ANY AND ALL O.S.’s or the combined software and hardware that are required to implement their functionality. For a very long time I have been a firm believer in financially supporting the R/D to build and then support with functional content that I paid the lofty price for unlimited data on multiple devices long before you could do ANYTHING other than push one button repeatedly in order to select on character that it was encoded to.Yesterday as I went a out my normal routine of healing and retraining after major surgeries I checked through a simple SMS to be sure that I could pick up my eye medication for postoperative care and Was relieved to see that I was close to being able to get it on Monday when I will need more. Then this morning I awaken at 6:09a.m. to the sound of o SMS alerting me that a financial transaction had occurred . When I looked at it I saw it was July. I have paid for it now many times and NEVER USED IT EVEN ONCE USUALLY I DON’T MIND DONATING $ 7 TO THE GUYS DOING THE HEAVY LIFTING FOR SOMETHING to enrich even the most incapable and underprivileged the ability to enjoy a thing as simple as a quality Film by Mira Max from a genius and talented mind Think Scorsece, Tarantino,Cage and the quality of an entertainer so gifted as the ones mentioned in the above movie,but this time that $7 is going to keep me from getting the medicine I’m going to need,I know at this point you’re thinking it is pathetic that a mere $7 would matter but after getting to this point in the blog and finding out which email acct the free week had been issued to and resetting the password so that I could check and see if it was up to par to run on the latest hardware/software and bandwidth available on any market I was disheartened enough by the 100 plus posts and reviews and tech requests that I feel obligated to spend the time and energy to write all of this to say that it is sad and I am not expecting this to get posted or my money to be refunded or the “Service HULU DOESNT PROVIDE” TO CHANGE ORRECUND OR SUPPLY WHAT YOU ADVERTISE. I JUST WANT YOU AND ALL WHO GET THE OPPORTUNITY TO REAX THIS THAT I AM officially unsubscdibing in a few hours when the day ensues and I will be a great advocate by any and all means available to inform all of my family and friends to stop wasting good money on bad intentions. Have fun with the $7. TOBE CARPENTER.AT. pphienallyphoenix@gmail.com

• Carlos says:

Ok,hulu support. Can yoy explain why we have to pay 8 dollars for the ability to watch hulu? why don’t you just develop a free basic version and just add exclusive seasons to the hulu plus app. All I want is to be able go watch my animated shows like blue exorcist on my ios like on the PC

• Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for posting and sorry for the trouble. It sounds like something may be blocking Flash on your computer. You can check to see if Flash is properly installed on your computer by going here ( http://adobe.ly/wNzNAu ).

As always, please feel free to contact us directly for additional assistance. You can reach us via email through our support form ( http://www.hulu.com/support/support_form ).

Russ K

• Rebecca says:

I am frustrated with the Flash Player udate . I did the update. Re started my computer and still get the update notice when I try to play my favorite programs. I am Pissed! I pay for this and it should work!

• I do not even know how I ended up right here, however I assumed this
    submit used to be good. I don’t understand who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger when you aren’t already.
    Cheers!

• Hi Candace,

Thanks for posting and thanks for the suggestion. I will pass along your comments to our developers. Hopefully the Autoplay feature will be implemented in the future revisions of the app.

As always, please feel free to contact us directly with any questions. You can reach us via email through our support form ( http://www.hulu.com/support/support_form ).

Regards,
    Russ

• Candace says:

Why no continuous play on the app?? Please fix or clue me in on how to do it with the iphone??

• What’s up, all is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that’s in fact good, keep up writing.

• glykamystika.gr

[...]Now Available: Update v2.3 for Hulu Plus on iOS « Hulu Blog[...]…
    [...]Now Available: Update v2.3 for Hulu Plus on iOS « Hulu Blog[...]…

• glykamystika.gr…

[...]Now Available: Update v2.3 for Hulu Plus on iOS « Hulu Blog[...]…

• ksepoulao.gr says:

ksepoulao.gr…

[...]Now Available: Update v2.3 for Hulu Plus on iOS « Hulu Blog[...]…

• dealsparadise.gr…

[...]Now Available: Update v2.3 for Hulu Plus on iOS « Hulu Blog[...]…

• Hi all,

Jay: we’re sorry for your frustration with watching Hulu on your iPad, but I would like to explain things. To honor the agreements that we have with our content providers, we have to supply Hulu to mobile devices and TV through our app. I hope this helps.

I’m sorry for your frustration with Apple TV and AirPlay support. As you can imagine, each new device and new technology provides our team with unique challenges. We appreciate your patience, and I hope we can offer you expanded support for iOS someday soon!

Daniel

• Jay says:

Paying for hulu on my iPad but it’s free on a computer? Um I call bull$hit. Sorry but I will watch my content in other interesting free ways…

• Chris says:

Dear Hulu, I signed up for your service and am currently a paying customer. Mike commented on September 8th about availability of Hulu on AppleTV. His question was promptly answered in the span of 3 days. Unfortunately, the other 25 commenters voicing concerns about your lack of Video mirroring have been summarily ignored. Is the question too hard? Can you at least tell us of you’re working on it and give you would-be and current loyal customers a time frame to expect this feature? Is that too much to ask. You answered one person and set the precedent. So we know that you read these forums. How about replying to us like you so graciously replied to Mike?

• Jennifer Black says:

No tv out feature for my iPhone?!!!! Wish I knew this before signing up. I will be canceling our Hulu + first thing in the morning. Dissapointed ) ;

• KA says:

While I really love being able to watch my favorite shows on the go, I too am dissapointed that I can not hook it up to the tv. Please fix this.

• Dan says:

Gabe Newell has a great commentary on why people pirate information, and I would recommend everyone look it up. Hulu has just demonstrated why the public should continue pirating entertainment. When you take desired features such as this away from the public you are taking money from your own pockets, as well as the pockets of the creative teams who made the excellent content that Hulu distributes. This is because simply: the pirates are providing a better service at a better price. I have enjoyed the first 4 days of my trial, but upon discovering this update and the removal of AV mirroring, I will be immediately revoking my membership to Hulu+. Should you ever reinstate this feature, I would be happy to, you know, give you people money.

Hulu+ has a place in the future right now. But if you continue blocking mirroring, that place will continue to diminish. Please listen to your customers. Please cement your place in the future. Please email me when you reinstate mirroring on this app, because as soon as you do, you will have my reoccurring subscription.

• Jessie says:

Me: “Hey I want to pay for your content you have to offer so I may watch it on my iPad or TV”
    Hulu: “Sure that will be $10″
    Me: “That sounds like a good deal!”
    Hulu: ” but we totes took away the ability for you to use the TV-out, and also a lot of your shows you cant watch on your iPad, you have to watch on your computer…”
    Me: “um….maybe I should just download a torrent……….?” :(

• Ken says:

Like all of the others I need the ability to go “video out” to a TV or Monitor in the car so both kids can watch at the same time. You need to fix the copyright ot technical issues and get this done because it seems – like with MANY others – this is an IMPORTANT issue to us. If Apple can do it on movies, I can output my own videos, Netflix can do it, Hulu should be able to.

• Dave says:

I also just downloaded the free trial got Hulu+ on the iPhone and see there is no way to send the video out over component.

This is a must have feature as I am going to use it at the gym and connect the video to the screen on the equipment.

Now I just have to figure out how to cancel my free subscription.

• Kyle says:

Please allow iPhone users to connect to the tv via a component cable. I would keep my subscription but canceled today because you can’t use that feature. I signed up for Netflix instead but like Hulu better. Hoping for an update soon.

• William says:

I wish I had found this conversation before I started my free trial. I am an iPhone4 user and I have Netflix. As you know Netflix allows you to show video on a tv using an adapter. however I came home today to them having technical difficulties. So I thought I would give hulu+ a try on my iPhone. I will be canceling my free trial in the morning because it will not do the mirroring function. I just wish I hadn’t waisted my free trial finding out the app was garbage. Hulu I hope you get whatever bugs worked out and you know you lost what would have been a paying customer.

• Jake Latham says:

That’s a deal breaker, get video out and hope I hear about it and I’ll become a subscriber again. Without video out from iOS 5 I will not upgrade.

• mike says:

Lonn Lee is a BAMF!

• Jake Holman says:

Thanks for the update!

• Mike,

Thanks for your interest in Hulu Plus! We get a lot of requests for Apple TV, so it’s definitely on our radar! Though we can’t support it right now, we are continually evaluating new technologies, and will be adding more devices based on user demand. Stay tuned!

We have plans to bring Hulu Plus to as many devices as possible. For up to date info on which devices are currently supported or have been announced, you can go to ( http://www.hulu.com/plus/devices ). On this page, you can even sign up to be notified of availability on upcoming devices.

If there’s anything else I can address for you, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Daniel

• Mike says:

Will Hulu Plus go to the Apple TV?

• Poochy says:

Worst update ever. Many people including me were hazard about this option of iPad mirroring. What’s the difference(to hulu) if I connect my laptop to the tv or ,the iPad to the tv?

Please change your policies. You have upset a whole swath of apple lovers.

• popop says:

The iOS devices are pretty much handheld personal computers now. I see no difference in displaying Hulu on my TV through my macbook’s video out and displaying it through the iOS video out. Hopefully your licenses will get straightened out soon. Until then, I think I’ll hold off on my subscription.

• Chris says:

I have to agree with everyone. I was excited when I decided to subscribe to Hulu+ because I thought that along with Netflix I could eliminate my outrageous monthly cable bill, but to my shock and horror, I could not take advantage of the video out feature on my iPhone 4 through the tv monitor in my car. I know this is a simple task for Hulu to accomplish because it used to be there. WHY would you deceive your paying customers by continuing to make us pay for less features? This had to be the epitome of bad customer support and I hope someone at Hulu will grow a pair and correct this before it puts them out of business.

• Jeff says:

I was going to order hulu plus for my Iphone, but I will not since the mirroring option is not an option any more. Are you going to fix this?

• Dave says:

deceit. iPad 2 specific feature is “take away feature” You guys are awful to deceive people into eliminating this feature.

• Jose Reyes says:

When is Hulu Plus coming to all Android phone.
    I got Hulu Plus so I can use it on the PlayStation 3 but can’t do that right now so come on Hulu StepYaGameUp and give me Hulu + on my HTC EVO

• Eric says:

I suspected this might happen. Cant you deal with the licenses in some way? I mean, people can hook up their computers to their tv and watch hulu for free, while we pay you to deny us the ability to do the same thing through the iPad 2? I could see it violating your agreements if you specifically made it possible but just because the platform supports it, that shouldn’t get you in trouble. I mean, people can use their laptop with the free hulu to do the same thing and that doesn’t get blocked…..

• AJ M. says:

I deleted my hulu plus account because of this update. Why on earth would you REMOVE video mirroring?

• Brent says:

Why did video mirroring get removed in version 2.3? I loved that feature!