Now Available: Update v1.9 for Hulu Plus on Roku

March 31st, 2011 by Daniel Bear Principal Software Development Lead

This morning we released the latest version of Hulu Plus for Roku. This is a minor update, but we want to notify users of changes as they become available. You should receive the updated channel (v1.9) the next time you launch the Hulu Plus app on Roku, or you can force the update by opening and exiting the Roku Channel Store. Improvements in this version include:

• – Improved playback reporting to help our team improve the playback experience.
  • – UI tweaks to compensate for device overscan.
  • – Additional improvements and bug fixes.

The Roku team is also in the process of releasing a firmware update (their announcement here) that will resolve a playback issue observed by users who leave the player paused for several minutes or users with very fast network connections.

Let us know what you think!

Daniel Bear
Senior Development Lead, Hulu

• Pislo says:

I have to many problems with Hulu Plus on Roku.,Hula is freezing in the middle of the process and I lose all my data because I have to reboot.Can you help me?Thank you!

• Pete Weinhold says:

novel in Polodori’s “The Vampyre”, in 1819. From then on, and especially after the vampire masterpiece–Bram Stoker’s “Dracula”–was published in 1897, vampires, if fiction or fact, were here to stay. Count Dracula was supposedly killed with a wooden stake drove through his heart while he slept–the only way, it is said, to kill a vampire. He reappears, thou

• I like this blog its a master peace ! Glad I detected this on google .

• Jarvis Strine says:

A great deal of design. Protected related to venturing. Provided 3 or maybe more megastars concerning performance considering that When i might not advise getting involved in soccer ball included. Ton simply because I got them on sale with finishing.

• Dwayne says:

Hi, just wanted to mention, I loved this post. It was inspiring.
    Keep on posting!

• Art Yerkes says:

Nice try, but didn’t work too well. I just cancelled my Hulu Plus subscription because the lockup problem got steadily worse. All other channels work ok; only Hulu Plus exhibits the problem. Please inform me if you have anything better to try than pull the power and let it reset. System is Roku 2100

• servicii seo says:

Thanks for finally talking about >Now Available: Update
    v1.9 for Hulu Plus on Roku Hulu Blog <Loved it!

• hiii says:

very nice post

• Tessa says:

Simply desire to claim your personal piece of writing is really as astonishing. A clarity inside of your report is just cool and that i can certainly suppose you are an pro with this theme. Fine with all your permission i want to to get your own supply to maintain kept up to date along with approaching report. Many thanks countless and even you need to carry on the particular advantageous give good results.

• Every single participant observed benefits throughout the
    evaluation.

• Kat says:

We as well are having problems with Hulu freezing our Roku and then crashing it causing our Roku to reboot. No problems with Netflix, Amazon or any other channel. It seems to have gotten worse since the update. Sometimes I cant even access the channel now. :(

• Carmen says:

Ive been wasting money on Hulu. Roku and Hulu Plus don’t work well together. Ive been following every suggestion on every board. Nothing. No time or money for this kind of frustration. Hulu we are done! Netflix, Amazon and all the other channels work fine.

• Angela says:

same issue here. We have no problem with netflix or amazon on demand or any other channel but hulu plus is CONSTANTLY freezing. I have not been able to watch a tv show through in weeks. Frustrated.

• Hi there,

I’m very sorry for any trouble. For troubleshooting help, contact us at http://www.hulu.com/support.

Thanks!
    Michael B.

• Braco says:

I have problems with Hulu Plus on Roku too.Just like Dennis,Hula is freezing in the middle of the action and I lose all my data because I have to reboot.Can you help me?Thank you!

• Hey!Thanks for keeping us posted.And thanks for the updated version of Hulu Plus for Roku.It’s great!

• nate says:

Yep, glad you have the FREE TRIAL because your Roku app is CRAP. I will not pay for this junk. Fix it, idiots.

• John says:

This isn’t a Roku problem, it’s a Hulu problem. I watch Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, etc. via both my PS3 and my girlfriend’s Roku box. Hulu freezes ever 7-10 minues on both devices (no freezing from Netflix or Vudu).

John
    Hulu plus member

• Steve says:

Same issues here: Hulu plays fine on my Roku. However, when I try to pause or rewind, nothing happens. Sometimes I press it a couple times…no luck. Then, after a few more minutes, the program will begin pausing and unpausing for the remainder of the show. We have gone through all of the recommended options (like uninstalling and reinstalling). A couple weeks ago, we had to re-add hulu to our roku. The problem seemed to be fixed. Then, the other day, Hulu was missing from from our menu. When we re-added it, all of the problems had returned.

Any fresh ideas?

• Christopher says:

Ok, so my roku hulu app is having the same issue as everyone else. it started about a month ago… this is obviously not an isolated or personal incident. Hulu needs to do something about this. if i can’t watch it on my roku, I may as well just not have hulu plus…. it looks like this has been going on for at least ten months… hulu still has no idea what’s going on??? seriously.. there are enough alternatives out there at this point that I should be getting better service from a paid application.

• Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for contacting us! I’m very sorry for your streaming trouble with our app on your Roku. Please let our support team thoroughly troubleshoot this for you!

I look forward to getting you back up and running with Hulu Plus!

Daniel

• Kimberly says:

Hulu keeps pausing when I watch it on my Roku. My internet connection is fine and all the other programs like Netflix but Hulu…nothing but breaks…really LONG breaks. Is there anything I can do cause if not I have to dump Hulu. No sense paying for something you can’t even watch!

• Hey Dennis,

Sorry for the trouble. We’d be happy to help out if you’d like. Please head to our support page ( http://www.hulu.com/support ) and fill us in on the details.

Grady

• Dennis says:

Hula on my roku is crap no other problems with any of the other streaming providers. Hula is constantly freezing need to reboot all the time. I have updated all firm wares received all the recent updates and still the same old _ _ it different day ready to dump hula for good

• Selah says:

I can confirm Jon’s fix. Our router was in WPA/WPA2 mixed mode, and Hulu was skipping. Switched it to WPA2-only, channel 11 and the skipping stopped. Haven’t confirmed that both steps are required. My guess is that WPA2 is the important setting.

• Ed says:

Right-click on the video and select DISPLAY then un-check Enable Hardware Accelerator and restart the browser. Play vid and see if that works. It work for both me and one of my customers. Also helps for Youtube as well. Not sure if it can be accessed on a Roku (I haven’t tried it on that)

• Hey Cheryl,

We’d be happy to provide some technical support. Would you mind giving us the full details by filling out this form? ( http://www.hulu.com/support )

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks, Grady, Hulu Support

• Cheryl says:

I have had Hulu Plus for three months. I had no problems streaming with my Roku, until two weeks ago. It now constantly breaks up and/or freezes. I have unplugged, rebooted, etc. I have not had this problem with Netflix, which lets me know that it is Hulu Plus. Hulu’s concept is great, but apparently, this is a problem for many users, and I am about ready to unsubscribe.

• Christina,

We’re very sorry for the trouble you’re experiencing with your Roku! As ever user has unique networking environments, we’d appreciate a chance to give you thorough, individual troubleshooting.

Please include all the troubleshooting steps you’ve already tried. I’m sorry for your frustration, but I’m sure we’ll get this figured out!

Daniel

• Hi Gary,

We’re very sorry for the trouble with your Roku! Please let us thoroughly troubleshoot this for you!

We look forward to resolving this for you!

Daniel

• Christina Hahn says:

Sounds like I am not the only one having the same Roku/HuluPlus problem. We have done all the troubleshooting and unplug it all the time because it freezes. Agreed that of all the apps, this is the only one with the problem. I have to drag out my computer now to finish a show I am watching which is stupid since I have the Roku to avoid that when I want to watch on the couch on the tv. It sounds like you guys need to work out the kinks again.

• Gary says:

I’ve been using HuluPlus on my 1st gen Roku Hd. When I play a video it plays perfectly. But most times I have to unplug my Roku because huluplus will not respond to any Roku commands, ie home, pause, stop or play.

• Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry our Roku application is giving you so much trouble, and I’d be happy to help figure out what’s going on. I’m going to include some troubleshooting steps that I think might help. Some are pretty basic, and it’s likely you’ve tried a few of them already, but I want to make sure we’re thorough here.

It also would be very helpful to know what internet service provider, modem, and router you use.

Any additional details you can share about the problem would be appreciated. If there are, please reply at ( hulu.com/support/support_form ) so we can more quickly get in touch with you.

Troubleshooting steps:
    • Perform a power-cycle of your Roku, modem, and router. Unplug all three from power and wait at least 1 minute before plugging them back in.
    • If you’re connecting over Wi-Fi, plug your Roku directly into your modem or router via Ethernet.
    • Remove the Hulu Plus channel and add it again. You can do this from the Channel Store.
    • Make sure you have the most recent version of the Roku’s software. To check, head to Settings > Player Info > Check for Update.

• Elizabeth says:

Day 5 and counting of NO hulu play through roku. Am about to become an EX hulu consumer. Between constant freezing, inability to pause( causes reboot) and needing to unplug the player with EVERY attempt to watch a show-and now, nothing. No retry, reboot, just a note that says “EXIT” on three seperate roku players. Interestingly Netflix, Amazon etc. have none of these issues. What a piece of crap!

• Fran says:

I’ve had the Hulu plus channel on my Roku for almost six months and have been frustrated by it’s performance the entire time. It’s like watching a video with a dial up connection tens years ago. It is a relief to see that I’m not the only one. Seeing the number of negative posts on this blog confirms my decision to cancel my subscription to be the correct one. Clearly Hulu has issues and they couldn’t care less about a solution.

• Linda says:

It’s too bad I didn’t read this blog BEFORE I subscribed to Hulu+!!! I’ve been having the same problems with audio/video out of sync (after commercials), freezing, stuttering, etc. I don’t mind (too much having the ads, but I DO mind having these problems). I don’t have these problems with any of the other channels on my Roku. This has obviously been a problem for a very long time, and it doesn’t say much about the technical service. I’ve jumped through all the hoops Customer Service suggested I try to no avail. These issues need to be fixed, or Hulu needs to get off the Roku channel list (it doesn’t work anyway!)

• Phillip R says:

Another very frustrated Roku / Hulu customer. The Hulu App is *almost* usable on my Roku XD|S when I reboot it after watching every video. Is it a horrible memory leak or ??? Definitely not internal or external bandwidth issues or DNS.

• David says:

Hulu Plus is not working on my 1st gen Roku box. Very slow to pause/play (unusable, really), and most annoying are all the pauses during play. I have a good wired connection with no problems on any other channels. My bandwidth is set to 480p in preferences. What gives ?

• Lahna says:

Like so many others, very frustrated and disappointed with hulu+’s slow response, constant freezing, or complete UNresponsiveness. I’m obviously not the only one experiencing these issues so I ask, you, Hulu, what gives?? Yours is the only app that doesn’t work. Apparently you need more direct competition than you already have to get your act together. I would gladly pay more for the same service if it worked reliably! Honestly, I’d rather not have it at all than have it work only half the time. Too frustrating! I’ll give it one more month and then it’s hasta la vista Hulu!

• JEFF says:

Please fix this freeze problem quickly…….Like the rest of you, I am tired of paying for this type of service

• Greg Keys says:

Changing the name servers from our ISP to googles public name servers made all of our hulu problems go away, we followed this page to solve our problems:

• Josh says:

I’ve had the same issue with my Roku. This is ridiculous and frustrating. Hulu+ is the only app on Hulu that skips and freezes. Any updates on when you guys are going to fix this?

• Ann says:

Hulu freezing and skipping issues have persisted for months here, to the point where we’re unable to even successfully watch shows. Frustrating to waste $8 a month for basically no usable content! Installed latest update, checked Roku for updates, unplugged/restarted Roku, deleted Hulu channel and reinstalled — issues persist. WTF?

• Jennie Van Heuit says:

I was having the same issue–pressing “pause” on the remote (which worked just fine for the Netflix app) would take up to 1/2 an hour to pause the show.

I had no firmware updates to download, but removing and re-installing the Hulu Plus app (restarting in between for good measure) made it work again. Phew!

• Jon says:

I was having the exact problem described by everyone here – constant stuttering, completely unwatchable – but following the troubleshooting steps on one of the links listed here I fixed it – completely fixed, absolutely NO skipping. I do t know exactly which setting did it but here is what I changed on my router: changed channel to 11; changed mode to “up to 300 Mbps” ( was on up to 54 before – had to change from WPA-PSK TKIP to WPA2-PSK AES to make this change).

My advise to anyone having these problems would be to scrap the TKIP and switch to AES and switch that bad boy up to the 300 mbps setting. It is amazing how it changed everything!!!

• Christine says:

I’m trying the updates but do not have much hope. I expect I will be canceling my subscription shortly. Sad because it is a great concept that is not that great in reality.

• Rachel says:

I just cancelled my huluplus subscription last night. They offer shows that I would like to watch. If It worked I would use it, but it is slow and then it locks up. Get it together and you might keep your customers.

• Tom says:

Out of all of the channels that I have on Roku, Hulu+ is the ONLY channel that freezes to the point that I have to unplug the Roku and restart it. The worst part about that is, Hulu+ is the only channel I pay for. I have done all of the updates and jumped through all of the hoops that Hulu+ asks of you when you have a question. As if it is my fault. Now I do not even get a reply to my Emails when I have a concern? HELP!!! So frustrating!!!

• Margaret Davidson says:

I am disgusted with this service, I can’t even watch a 42minutes show in an hour. It has been over an hour and I have experienced over 6 reload video errors, and freezing every 10 seconds- no exaggeration. Why am I paying for this terrible service subscription when I can’t even watch one ****ing episode!!!

• Chris says:

Is there any reason the developers for the Roku app INSIST on having their videos play at a set bitrate? Are we really asking too much to allow the video quality to adjust for bandwidth? You’ve done it on your site since its inception, Netflix does it on their apps and their site. Yet Hulu plus on Roku, and ostensibly PS3 demands that you have at least a consistant 3mb connection. Not possible for me in this area, and many other people. Still, I get decent video from Netflix without constant buffering issues, because the video quality will adjust for my bandwidth when necessary. Please consider this for you next update, otherwise I’ll have to cancel, because it is simply unusable unless i’m on your site.

• Sherri Jordan says:

We have Hulu Plus, and are very frustrated, very.
    Everything we try to watch, anytime, day or night. It is taking as long as an hour & a half to watch 45 minutes of a show. Any show.
    Why are we paying for this service? Even with other frustrations concerning our netflix, this issue is not amongst them. We do not have the freezing problem except on very rare occasion, a few once or twice a month. With Hulu Plus, we are paying the same as netflix, and it constantly freezes. Please let us know how we can fix this, so we can keep the service. We like the idea of Hulu Plus very much!

• Greg says:

Hulu Plus was freezing, see my post below. But I found this bit of help below…
    1. Remove the Hulu Plus channel and then re-add it via the Channel Store
    2. Ensure that you have the most recent firmware installed on your Roku. Go to Settings > Player Info > Check for Update

I did both of these things and now it’s playing again like it used to. No more freezing! OMG Hard to believe. My firmware was already up to date, so it was Step.1 that helped. Rock on!

• Greg says:

We’ve been using Hulu Plus on Roku since January 2011. All of a sudden in the last month it’s been locking up on almost everyone of our shows. It never used to do this, whatever update was made recently is the cause. We are real close to dropping Hulu plus if this does not get fixed soon. I hope you guys are listening!! It’s not my internet connection, I’m streaming at 25mbs. Roku is great, and hulu plus used to work fine. This is bad.

• M wilson says:

Hulu on Roku crashes the system and requires you to unplug it for a bit then plug it back in. I am on my 2 weeks free, so I can see paying for a service that crashes.

• Mindy]'''' says:

Hulu Plus on the Roku often has problems with the sound / video getting out of sync – usually immediately following commercials. Sometimes this can be fixed by stopping and restarting and sometimes it can’t. Lately, Hulu Plus freezes and I have to unplug the player to exit. Hopefully there will be a fix soon. Hulu Plus is not working more often than it is.

• John says:

Why don’t you guys take a ROKU box home and feel the pain of using your app? If you guys had a ROKU, you’d know firmware updates happen automatically.

• Hey everyone,

I apologize to those of you who are experiencing streaming issues on your Roku. Our Customer Support Advocates are happy to help you out! Please contact us through our contact form ( http://www.hulu.com/support ) and we will be happy to assist you in troubleshooting the issues you are facing.

Thanks!
    Ryan S.

• Gino says:

Look at all these comments about Hulu via Roku problems — and there is not a single reply from Hulu. What is the deal? Surely Hulu is considering doing something about these problems. Need I add that they are shared by yours truly.

• GEORGEIII says:

Listen Hulu Support Team!!!

Streaming of Hulu Plus on Ruku 2 is downright horrible. Constant freezes, voice out of sync, and even “skipping” problems of the image…Reviewing the problems listed in nearly 100% of the posts below, it would appear that pretty much EVERYONE is having the same freaking problems…What are your plans to fix this? All other Roku channels are working just fine, this seems to be a Hulu Plus channel/app problem. What are your plans tofix this? All the “fixes” that the support team are recommending below just plain do NOT work at ALL. I’m pretty much sick and tired of this, which has been going on for weeks, if not months…I’m on the very edge of cancelling the service…Your support team better get a move on ans finally fix the damn App!!

• Rober Clark says:

I would also like to add myself to the growing list of users that are experiencing problems with Hulu on my Roku. I have a 18down 3up ISP speed. I know it’s not my ISP. I’ve taken the app off and put it back on with no change. I’m wondering if I should just restore the roku and see if that resolves the issue. It’s very frustrating!

• Sean says:

Just signed up for Hulu plus. The wife and I spent 20 min. deciding on a show. How about the new Simpsons episode? Nope web only. She made the argument that it’d be worth signing up for to get Fringe episodes. Nope web only. We’ve gone through all the shows we watch regularly and realize that Hulu plus does not equal more content as far as what we would use it for. Same commercials Plus limited content. No thanks. I guess we’ll just keep hooking the laptop to the tv for Hulu and cancel our service.

• Lisa A says:

Streaming Hulu on Roku has become impossible, consist freezing and voice out of sync. This does not occur on any other channel with Roku and does not occur when watching Hulu on the computer. I do not what to cancel, but cannot justify paying for a product that does not function properly.

• Andrew says:

Everyone… REPEAT Everyone! Has the freezing problem. It is a HULU problem. No other app has this issue. It does not matter what Roku you have. Your Hulu app need to be fixed. You are losing subscribers. FIX IT! C’mon… we give you plenty of money to make the shows play… we put up with ads… we sit through stutters and stops… =FIX IT already.

• Greg W. says:

Same situation. Have Roku XDS, late 2009. Hulu constantly hangs, hiccups, and forces be to reboot the system. Major inconvenience for my monthly payment.

• Jason Parker says:

Hello, I have the same problems noted by others here. Hulu constantly hangs, freezes, or crashes my Roku XDS player altogether. I have the latest Roku system software, and have also removed and reinstalled Hulu on the player. Hulu is the only channel with which this problem occurs. I’ve submitted a couple of help requests as well.

• Jason says:

I have the same problem. Hulu is the only one of many Roku apps that hangs, freezes, causes my Roku XDS to crash. The ad timer continues to display in shows. I have checked for a Roku update and removed and reinstalled Hulu. First, Hulu would not allow me to set back up, nothing happened when I clicked “Yes” to add my account during initial setup. The next time, I was able to set up my account, but the show froze immediately after your ad played. I have also submitted a help ticket. This non-functioning product is not worth $100 a year.

• Sorry to hear that, Calvin. Please go to http://bit.ly/HuluHelp so we can help you resolve this.

Brad

• Calvin says:

Hulu plus performance is dismal using my Roku player. Constant freezing, vocals out of sync when returning from one of their limited commercial interruptions, causes the roku player to crash and reboot, no ability to rewind or use other features of the roku remote, Of course none of these problems ever occur during their commercials, just the shows you pay for. The roku player works great on the other channels, it’s only using Hulu Plus that fails miserably.

• Hi there,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been having issues with our app on your Roku. There are a few troubleshooting steps we can try; can you visit the following page and take a look?

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Udaya
    Hulu Plus Support

• Tony says:

I seem to be having the some issue as a lot of other users that is freezing up when using HULU pluse. If yo try to pause or fast forward it freezes and even reboots the system. I Can say with out no question no other chanel on my Ruku dose this. I have the Ruku model number 2050x and running Hulu vershion 2.0 that is under help and about in Hulu .I got my week free and paid for the first mouth but if this issue is not fixed at the end of the mouth I have to let you go. In today’s world money should not be wasted on thing that dont’t work.

• Andy says:

Hulu application on Roku continually freezing, or pausing while streaming – pauses last for about 7 seconds then resume again. Audio/video out of sync. Countdown timer on adds stays on 45 seconds remaining. Please fix these problems else I will have to cancel my subscription – and yes I have contacted support about this!

• Colleen,

Thanks for letting us know. Can you contact us at http://www.hulu.com/support? When you do, please visit http://www.speedtest.net and include your download and upload test results. We’ll be better prepared to help.

Thanks!

• Colleen says:

I seem to be having the same issue as many others who posted on this website. Hulu Plus freezes up every several minutes on my Roku. I pause the show, wait a couple minutes, and then press the play button again. The show resumes, however it happens again within a couple minutes. Ridiculously frustrating. This is my first month subscribe to Hulu Plus (I did not use Hulu, so this is my first experience), and I am still in my free trial week.

Just wondering, because it seems to be a very, very prevalent complaint…has a solution been found to the Hulu Plus/Roku problem? If so, I would like to know. Otherwise, I would rather not pay $8/mth. for a service that rarely works.

• Rob,

Can you contact us again at hulu.com/support ? There may be some more steps we can take to get this problem fixed.

Thanks!

• Rob says:

To this day Hulu Plus still freezes on my Roku (I have the newest version with the motion controller.) I reported it, was given a free month which was nice, but the free month is about up (or possibly up already) and the problems still exist. I really really want this to work, but I cant keep paying for something that I spend more time trying to get to work than actually being able to watch.

• Fred says:

I am experiencing similiar problems with Hulu+ on my Roku model. The problems are freezing, out of sync audio and the count down time on the ads are often wrong (the video starts up time left on the count down box). This problem doesn’t occur on NetFlix or any of the other channel I am subscribed to–only Hulu+ (very disappointing). I have to reset the box and remove Hulu+ channel then reinstall it to work.

• Hi Jay,

Thanks for your thorough post. I’ve alerted Dan to what you said and sent you an email asking for some followup information. Others with similar information should contact http://hulu.com/support instead of posting on the boards.

• Hi Rebecca,

We’re trying to gather information from users like yourself who are experiencing stuttering on the Roku. Please contact us at http://www.hulu.com/support as soon as possible so we can use your specifications for our research into the issue.

James

• Jay Levitt says:

Daniel – Are you still reading this thread?

I’m a relatively new Hulu Plus subscriber via a new Roku XDS. Unlike many, I won’t complain about the content or the commercials – I understand you’re striking the best bargain you can with the studios, who still haven’t woken up to the 21st century.

But the sofware itself is… unpolished. Here’s a laundry list of things that bug me every time I use it:

1. Slow (~1 min) startup from the main Roku menu. Hulu seems to use a different back-end application than most other Roku channels (Amazon, Netflix, etc), so it has to go load itself in multiple stages while I wait – and then again when I load the show. Is that necessary for Hulu’s unskippable-commercial requirement, or is it just a misguided assumption that branding beats usability?

2. Playback unresponsive to the UI. There will be times I want to pause the show, and the UI thread acknowledges me with a play/pause icon, but the video keeps playing.

3. Audio dropouts. This is 100% repeatable; when I watch the Daily Show or the Colbert Report, there’s a momentary audio dropout two or three seconds into the “limited commercial interruptions” segment. Bad OOBE.

4. Cache stalls. Lately, the video AND audio will freeze for 5 to 30 seconds during the show’s opening sequence (the actual show, not the pre-roll commercial). I assume it’s something like “the transfer rate for the show doesn’t meet the expectations set by the transfer rate during the pre-roll, so we weren’t pre-fetching enough.” Is there a way to debug this to give you more info? I have 8-16MBps business-class cable modem with a static IP, with apparently very few people on my cable segment – I rarely see slowdowns. The Roku, streaming 1080p, is connected via 802.11n (2.4G) but reports a link speed of 270Mbps, signal strength 81%. (I could try an Ethernet bridge if you think it matters, but this seems more like a pre-fetching bug; once the signal comes back, it doesn’t appear to drop to a lower-bandwidth signal.)

5. Out-of-sync audio when coming back from commercial. This could be related to #3. Intermittently, with no obvious pattern, when the show comes back from commercial, video will be 0.5 second behind audio. Going back to the show menu and restarting the show from where I left off will fix it. Happens maybe once every two weeks.

6. Sluggish navigation. In the menus, there is a noticeable lag between the time I press the D-pad and the time the outline cursor moves from one selection to the next. On a box fast enough to decode and composite video in real time, that just shouldn’t be the case! It only happens in Hulu’s custom app, not the baseline Roku app on other channels.

7. Defaults, defaults, defaults. If I always go to the queue first, remember that, and make the queue the pre-selected button. Once I’m in the queue, I can guarantee I don’t want to click on the Queue button again; I want to click on the first show in my queue. When I get there, I again don’t want to click on the top menu; I want to click on the first show in that show’s queue! That’s four clicks when you only needed two. And if there’s only one show in the queue in the first place, just show it to me; that’s what I’m there fore! I want my queue to feel like a TiVo, not a hierarchical menu.

What do you think.. any chance of seeing these fixed in an upcoming Hulu release? I’d happily volunteer to beta test.

My Hulu Help | About says:

Name: Roku
    Platform: SetTop
    Version: 2.0
    Model: 2100X
    Device ID: K0A0D1019737

Under Roku | Settings | Player Info:

Version 2.9 • build 1553

• Don says:

Hi, I’m having the freezing, stopping problems with hulu plus on my Roku, very similar to what other users have experienced. Often, if I press “pause” on the remote, nothing happens until about a minute later. Then, once it is paused, it takes quite a while before it starts up again. Also, often I can’t make the info boxes disappear. I just reinstated my hulu plus account yesterday, but as it is it’s unusable. Any suggestions/assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

• Greg says:

@ Pat- couldn’t agree more. If my xbox had a browser, I could watch it? Screw this. I signed up for the free week and was disappointed in 10 minutes. Don’t have the rights to offer stuff on xbox yet? Whaaah. Call me when you do. In the mean time it feels like a bait and switch. Imagine going into McDonalds, with posters all over of all their food, and they say “Most of that is only available in the city. We do have fries and milk though! And our goal is to one day be able to provide hambergurs and other food you see on the menu.” Would you ever go their again? Nope.

• shawn says:

The hulu channel on the roku is very disappointing. Any attempts to pause or scan through videos typically leads to freezing/resets. If they don’t get their act together and get a reliable channel going I may have to cancel my subscription. The only thing that has stopped me from doing so already is the number of streaming anime they have that Netflix doesn’t.

• Rebecca says:

I am having the same problem as others with Hulu Plus freezing every few seconds. I have Cox high Speed Internet. Amazon and Netflix work fine.

The worst part now is that I can’t get out of Hulu Plus to watch anything else on Roku. What happened to the Roku Player? It is as if Hulu Plus hijacked the Roku Player and it is verynirritating to eatch something that freezes up every 3 seconds. Is there a fix for this?

• Hulu Support Advocate says:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your post. This looks like a complex issue best served by more of a back and forth. Drop us a line at http://bit.ly/HuluHelp

James

• Rob says:

I am having issues with the new Roku model. Seems to be primarily Hulu Plus…shows freeze then machine resets. Not an issue with Netflix. Sometimes the shows just freeze and we have to power down the unit and restart it as everything becomes nonresponsive. Roku customer services seemed to think it was a hulu problem.

• Dennis says:

Hulu plus continues to loose audio and the video freezes om ROKU!. Reboots, stopping starting, resetting the Roku very frustrating and is NOT the way to enjoy any show. We have a fast COX Cable connection.

• Pat says:

i was excited 2 weeks ago to rec my Roku but where are my HGTV shows ? Web only is bullshit. Will be dropping the HULU plus today.

• SessionTimedOut says:

This is horrible!, 90% Of all shows are “Web Only” Not only am I not signing up for this.. but I have already watched everything im interested in that they have available and its only the 2nd day of my free week trial.. Horrible service, waste of money, rott in hell

• Mannyhz says:

I love Hulu BUT have problems with Hulu Plus freezing up when used through my Roku unit. I had to cancel my subscription — TWICE. Is this a Hulu Plus problem or a Roku problem? Please help because I want to have Hulu Plus!!!! p.s. No problems with Netflix streaming and my Roku unit.

• thr rocks says:

My husband and I love the roku hulu plus interface but we’re extremely disappointed in the availbility of programs versus the web only programs. Can’t wait to see more of them cross over.

• Dj says:

I love hulu plus but am having issues with it on roku.

I check for roku updates but it says up to date. How do I get the hulu plus update on roku?

• Lee says:

So I am new to Hulu Plus with the Roku box and am enjoying it very much. However, why is it that I have access to more stuff on Hulu on my computer? It would seem that Hulu Plus would have all that Hulu has. Why can’t I stream Hulu (CBS stuff) on the Roku? Thanks for a great product.

• It was a UX mistake to add “web only” shows into Roku’s Hulu Plus queue. For those of us who use Hulu extensively, both free and paid, the user interface just became a nightmare to navigate. Please remove, move, or provide the option to hide “web only” shows. Why should my queue be stuffed full of entries that it won’t allow me to view?

• D Martinez says:

The new update has added the shows that were web only from my queue onto my Roku interface. This makes the queue screen very tedious to scroll through as I have 56 shows on it. If they are unavailable for Roku streaming they should not be listed.

• Jeff says:

Love the Roku/Hulu updates! It has made a HUGE difference! Thanks for working on it.

• Mike says:

ive been having streaming issues with hulu plus on my roku. trying to get this update but i opened and closed the channel store and did not see any updates. is there a way to check the version of hulu plus on the roku? Please help, love my roku but hulu plus is not working too well…

• Aaron says:

I just wanted to say that the combination of your channel update and the new Roku firmware has turned my Hulu Plus experience from extremely laggy and frustrating to snappy and enjoyable. Thank you.