As of this morning, the latest version of Hulu Plus on the PlayStation®3 is available. The most exciting new feature in this release is automatic adaptive bitrate switching, which means that the video quality will dynamically change to accommodate fluctuations in network conditions. This aims to deliver the smoothest, highest quality video stream that your internet connection can handle.
The new version (v2.02) will be available as an update the next time you launch the Hulu Plus app. The full list of improvements includes the following:
- – Automatic adaptive bitrate switching, which dynamically changes the video quality to accommodate fluctuations in network conditions. Note that this feature can be overridden by selecting a specific video quality using the R1 button.
- – Improved support for PlayStation Blu-ray remote (pause, play, stop, fast-forward/rewind buttons).
- – Support for PlayStation QWERTY keypad accessory for search and login text input.
- – Significantly reduced application size (faster updates!).
- – Improved playback error reporting to assist customer support requests.
- – New video expiration notices to provide advance warning when a video will expire.
- – Numerous general bug fixes, UI tweaks, and stability improvements.
The Hulu Plus team is continually improving the applications already in use by increasing stability and adding features requested by Hulu users. We’re also working hard to bring the Hulu Plus experience to as many devices as possible. Be sure to check back for updates here on our blog and on our list of supported devices.
Lead Developer, Hulu