Best in Show: The Final Matchup

March 29th, 2010 by Rebecca Harper Editor

The best tournaments always have an underdog — take this year’s March Madness Cinderella story, Butler University. Though they’re on a 24-game winning streak, the fifth-seeded Bulldogs were virtual unknowns until they upset Syracuse and Kansas State on their way to the Final Four. While their tip off against Michigan State isn’t until Saturday, an underdog story of our own just came to a close in Hulu’s Best in Show.

Throughout our TV show competition, NBC’s Community has been the underdog champion, beating other freshman series Glee and Modern Family as well as Parks and Recreation to make it to the semifinals. And last week, it looked like it was going to pass over The Simpsons, as well — that is, until we accounted for Entertainment Weekly TV critic Ken Tucker’s vote.

Each week, Tucker has been making his critical selections, accounting for 25 percent of the final tally for each show. In some cases, Tucker had the deciding vote (when he chose Parks and Recreation over The Office, for instance.) In others, though, his vote wasn’t enough — and so we saw Glee fall by the wayside in round one. This week, however, he cast his vote in favor of The Simpsons over Community, swinging the tide in favor of the long-running animated series.

Though we’re interested to see who will win in the ultimate Lost vs. The Simpsons faceoff, we also wanted to extend a hearty congratulations to Community. The show proved it has an impressive following, with tons of fan support and also great involvement from the show and its creator, Dan Harmon.

And now only two shows remain: Lost and The Simpsons. Who do you want to be named Hulu’s Best in Show? Vote now and check back again next Monday to see who won top honors.

Rebecca Harper ()
Editor

Last comment: Nov 4th 2010 228 Comments
  • Hazelrogue says:

Why in the world would you let 1 person’s vote count for 25%? And this person doesn’t even work for Hulu?

What makes this ‘writer’s’ opinion more valuable than another regular person? Taste is taste, his vote should not count 25%. This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. If American Idol were run this way, they would’ve lasted 1/2 a season.

• Emily says:

Community already won this entire “tournament”. It’s over, now it’s just a reviewer picking his favorite show.

• Adrian says:

So, I was shocked at the results. I was really pushing for Burn Notice and Community. They were pulling in the votes and then out of nowhere, they gets pushed aside. Naturally, when I learned that the critic, Ken Tucker, got 25% of the vote, I was incensed!

Why did I even vote if Ken Tucker got to decide which show moved forward anyway. It’s just not a fair fight if one man can swing the decision in his favor with one vote. This was pointless and it means nothing. I say recalculate the results without his vote and then post the winners.

Bad Hulu.

• nicanatasha says:

Like everyone I am pissed about Ken getting 25% of the vote, and it’s worse that we vote, then he votes, we can’t even do anything to change it.

Also, I don’t really appreciate the way he did his write ups on the shows, some he wrote great things about (especially some new overrated comedys), and almost any drama, or show that has been on for 5-6 seasons he ragged on.

Like Grey’s and House, love both, and just because he is a “professional” critic (what does that even mean, you can’t really train for it…), doesn’t mean he is better than the majority of the voters, or should have more say.

Also, there are a lot of good shows missing from this list, it’s mostly a list of pretty bland comedy’s, all which i have watched, none of which i care for. Come on, the Simpsons? The only reason it has made it to the finals, is because it has been 19 seasons….does that make it amazing? No, an accomplishment for sure, but I have seen the newer ones, and I would rather watch paint dry.

• No name says:

What’s the point in voting if this is just about Ken Tucker’s opinion? This poll is a lie. Hulu should be ashamed of itself for still promoting this as a viewer based competition.

• Karen says:

I cannot believe this has come down to The Simpsons and Lost. Both of those shows are played out. It’s high time for some new action. (Community is a really great show, but I’m not sure I would pick it as my favorite…but certainly pick it over The Simpsons or Lost!!) I was able to vote multiple times in the same week, so, if that is the case and the critic counts for 25% of the vote…what exactly does this little exercise mean? Frankly I prefer to see movies that the critics hate since it seems those are the best movies to see. Let’s have a recount. This time, just list all the shows in the running, allow only one vote per person and leave the critic out of it. I am certain the outcome will be greatly different.

• Mikayla says:

Why not just call this “Ken Tucker’s Best in Show?” The guy is welcome to have an opinion, but this is not the place for it. This poll was supposed to be about the fan’s favorite shows, not the fan’s favorite shows that also happened to agree with the critic. Now that I’ve found this out, I don’t care who wins best in show. It’s all a farce.

• Dracil says:

This is why I don’t watch Hulu

• LOST says:

Hopefully Hulu realizes how incredibly stupid giving one person a 25% vote is, regardless of who they are, and how unfair this best in show poll was to all the fans who came back week after week to vote for their favorite shows.

• Annoyed says:

I do not understand the point of Hulu doing this big competition if ONE lone person would ultimately be responsible for thwarting everyone’s efforts/opinions. This is pretty shady behavior, Hulu. I am annoyed AT you and ashamed FOR you. You have essentially taken democracy out of the entire equation by bequeathing Ken 25% of the final vote. The “best in show” poll is basically a mockery of epic proportions. The public just wasted its time, energy, and efforts.

• Cin says:

Okay, this is mind bogglingly RIDICULOUS to the umpteenth degree! WHY even have a TV show competition advertised to be FOR THE FANS?! The line-ups and final showdowns bear NO MERIT WHATSOEVER since Ken Tucker has a 25% voting block majority against all Hulu users. The percentage margin between Community and The Simpsons was SO WIDE (at least 20%) that it made NO SENSE for Ken to cast his vote against Community. Sure, if a matchup was too close, then Ken could have been the deciding vote (for example, if show A was at the 49% mark versus show B at the 51% mark). However, CLEARLY this was NOT the case for Community vs The Simpsons. Therefore, this reeks of dictatorship: “Hear ye, hear ye! Ken Tucker’s opinions are final, and they represent the law of the land.” *eyeroll*

• angelie says:

I can’t believe this Tucker guy has a TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT VOTE!!!!!! What the hell am I voting for????????
    BULL.
    (by the way I voted for the Simpsons, but seriously if Community was going to win, then you should let the fans decide. not some random dude. 25%??? seriously, 5% would be the absolute max if you were going to do that. and you should at least tell everyone in big !@## letters.

• Shawn Ballentine says:

Mr. Tucker, we all know the only reason EW sent you over here is because no one really cares about your opinion at all and they figured they would send someone over to do this contest that was expendable and make excellent cannon fodder for the Hulu Community. So congratz, you’ve officially managed to piss off a large group of people because you cant see past your Simpson’s fanboyism despite this recent season failing to produce many laughs.

• Nick Mc says:

Wow, so unless a show had 68% of the vote before Ken Nobody voted… his vote was the deciding vote. Most of the brackets were closer than that, so this was basically a game of which-show-does-Ken-like-the-most… cool Hulu.

• Cindy says:

Okay, this is mind bogglingly RIDICULOUS to the umpteenth degree! Why even have a TV show competition advertised to be FOR THE FANS. The line-ups and final showdowns bear NO MERIT WHATSOEVER since Ken Tucker has a 25% voting block majority against all Hulu users. The percentage margin between Community and The Simpsons was SO WIDE (at least 20%) that it made NO SENSE for Ken to cast his vote against Community. Sure, if a matchup was too close, then Ken could have been the deciding vote (for example, if show A was at the 49% mark versus show B at the 51% mark). However, CLEARLY this was NOT the case for Community vs The Simpsons. Therefore, this reeks of dictatorship: “Hear ye, hear ye! Ken Tucker’s opinions are final, and they represent the law of the land.” *eyeroll*

• Ryan says:

25% for what? One critic from EW that hates Community gets 25%. I’d like to hear Hulu’s response to this BS.

• nick says:

seeing as I cant get anything else approved, I will take Lost fans approach
    “I have Edited My comment from last night to make it less insulting to Ken Tucker and y’all, sorry but you guys made me angry last night(about Mr. tucker’s vote counting as 25%) and I went too far. I hope you guys approve this comment as I have made efforts to be more civil”

I think hulu should learn from this experience, i agree that its good to have a professional opinion, i.e. Mr. Tucker. then people get to see what he has to say about each match up and its cool and what not, But maybe it should be just that, a commentary, and no vote, or at best a 1% vote, so he can sway the tiebreakers, such as lost and burn notice last week – or a vote that gets increasingly less powerful as the tournament goes on, so he can keep in the shows for ratings or what nots interest in the beginning and let the fans decide as it gets down to the wire. I was just overly angry because burn notice, a show i’ve never heard of, beat out chuck then house, the only two shows on the list i cared about. Seeing them face off against each other would have been interesting to me, because I would have had to pick between my two favorites. The math is pretty easy, I was willing, and had attempted, to give away the list of all the shows that would have won, had Mr. Tucker’s vote only counted for 1 person. but i can see that doing so would probably cause more of an uproar than any list of derogatory words could have. i apologize, and hope that with a more level minded head people will get to hear most of what i have to say : )

• Brian Baker says:

Burn Notice 55% Tucker’s Pick

Week Four:
    Community 48%
    Simpsons 52% Tucker’s Pick

Burn Notice 40%
    Lost 60% Tucker’s Pick

All the contests that were determined by Tucker’s vote if I’m doing my math correctly. And, yes, he voted against Community every single time. Also, Lost and Burn Notice (in fairness, I like BN a lot) only made it to Final Four because of his interference, and then Lost only wins again because of his interference.

• William says:

So amazingly lame. Community needed the ratings boost, too!

• Nate says:

• Joel says:

I second a re-vote Hulu! Whats the point when one man gets 25% of the vote?? He can (and has) easily thrown the vote opposite of the majority!

• Awesome X says:

shenanigans indeed this critic blows there is no way lost is going to beat out all those other shows its like he doesnt even watch any of them. If he chooses Lost then obviously he is a douche

• Hilger says:

What is the point of this fake poll if your “TV critic” is just going to game the system for a TV show that peaked more than a decade ago?

• Travis says:

This is a slap in the face to everybody who voted. What the hell makes one persons input account for more than the thousands actually using this site?

I would love to see this contest redone in fair way but we all know you won’t swallow your pride and do what’s right.

At least aknowledge that you royally screwed the pooch on this one.

• david says:

I was upset that Tucker was able to promote a particular show with a short positive message and campaign for votes, but now that I know that this was a “Tucker’s choice” contest, I guess it’s not a big deal.

• davey says:

Thank you for explaining why such a tired, stale and irrelevant show made it to the finals. Maybe next year we can get Tucker to vote SNL into the finals.

• Richard says:

Seriously it seemed like Ken was continuously against Community the ENTIRE time. Every single vote he had was for the other show. Does he just not enjoy Community? Because seriously Parks and Recreation?? There’s a show out there for that and it’s called the Office and it actually has humor occasionally.

Give me a break this is just ridiculous, I want a re-vote

• 3