As we wrap up the year here at Hulu HQ, I’d like to send – on behalf of the whole Hulu team – a very big thank you to our customers. It is our customers that make Hulu possible and it is our customers that have enabled this service to thrive in 2009.
As a business, we were extremely fortunate in 2009. Some highlights:
- Monthly users of Hulu, as measured by comScore, grew to over 43 million, a 95 percent increase over this time last year.
- Monthly streams, as measured by comScore, grew to 924 million, a 307 percent increase from this time last year.
- Hulu’s content library doubled over the past year. We now offer over 14,000 hours of premium content, up from 5,600 hours at this time last year.
- We grew from 130 content partners last year to over 200 today, which includes the addition of Disney/ABC content.
- The number of advertisers/marketers we have served has more than doubled, growing from 166 to 408. As a team, we are extremely excited about the atypically strong results we have been able to drive for our marketing partners.
- 6.4 million Hulu video players were embedded across the web in 2009, a 237 percent jump from 2008 levels. To date, Hulu players have been embedded on over 207,000 websites.
- Some of the more prominent consumer-facing innovations from 2009: Hulu Desktop, Captions Search, Continuous Play, Tags, and the ongoing innovation hub that is Hulu Labs.
- Our search service managed nearly 1 billion search queries in 2009, up 175 percent from 2008.
- The five most popular shows on the service in 2009:
- Hulu’s most embedded video of 2009 was the live stream of Barack Obama’s inauguration.
- The most popular full episode on Hulu in 2009 was Family Guy’s “Stew-Roids.”
- Our customers had a lot to say about us in 2009, and we listened carefully. Some of the more colorful comments (via Twitter):
- BradMays: If Hulu.com truly is an evil alien plot to take over the world…I’ve already been assimilated.
- andrewjmay: Dear Hulu, This has been on my mind for a while now, but tonight is the night that I let you know my true feelings….I love you.
- kiki_miserychic: I’m getting a coffee from McCafe tomorrow because Hulu told me to do it. My brain is liquidy slush.
- Tiffanyasapun: found Hulu.com and my feet hurt. Those 2 are unrelated.
- Hulu was fortunate to receive a number of awards over the last year, including being named the World’s 3rd Most Innovative Company (Fast Company, March 2009), being included in TIME magazine’s Top 50 Best Websites, and ranking among the Top 5 fastest rising Google search terms.
We recognize that what we are aspiring to do is extremely ambitious and filled with considerable risk. But that has always been the nature of this pioneering journey. We have incredible conviction both in our product vision and in our customer obsession. We believe that customers deserve to have a service that enables them to find and enjoy the world’s premium content … when, where, and how they want it. We are resolute in this mission and are here to make it a reality.
On behalf of the Hulu team, thank you for joining us in the adventure that was 2009 and we look forward to even greater heights in 2010.
Jason Kilar ()
P.S. Some “behind the scenes” moments at Hulu in 2009:
The Hulu team hanging out by the pool on the set of the upcoming If I Can Dream television show.