The New Queue

December 16th, 2009 by Eugene Wei SVP, Audience

Today, as part of Hulu for the Holidays, we’ve added a new default view for your queue, one that groups all the videos within it by show. Before, you could sort everything in your queue by show by clicking on the Title and Information column header, but it wasn’t always clear that was how you’d do it. As we’ve added more content and as users’ queues have grown in size, grouping by show as a default was a logical update. Visit your queue today to experience the new queue layout firsthand.

Within this new layout we offer two display options. One is a vertical text list of videos within each show, a layout that may be familiar to those of you who use DVRs.

Hulu Queue List View

The other is a more visual layout with thumbnails laid out in horizontal carousels, more of an echo of the carousels on our show pages.

Hulu Queue Thumbnail View

In either view, click on the “Play All” link above the videos to play from the oldest to the most recently aired videos for that show. As before, clicking on any video within a show in your queue will activate Autoplay, but in this new “group by show” view, we’ll only play through all the videos from that particular show.

Want to try out the new queue but don’t have many videos in there? We’ve made it easier to add entire seasons of episodes from a show to your queue. Visit a show page, and at the top of the list of episodes for that show, we’ve added a “+ all” link. There will be one “+ all” link per season of that show. Click it and all the episodes from that season will drop into your queue at once.

Hulu Add Season Link

If you like to create your own ordering of videos in the queue, one that cuts across multiple shows, you can still access the old list view of the queue. Just click on “List View” at the top of your queue, next to the “Group by Show” link, and you’ll access the older, single list layout for the queue.

We hope you find this useful both this holiday season and in the future. As always, your feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
Eugene Wei ()
VP of Product

Last comment: Jan 16th 2013 45 Comments
  • Hi Aundrea,

Thanks for posting on our blog! To browse shows that are already in your queue grouped by show, just follow this link ( http://www.hulu.com/profile/queue?view=group ). If you don’t see a particular show there, it may be that no episodes of that show are in your queue at this time.

I hope this clears things up! Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Casey C!

• Aundrea says:

i am trying to use this feature for multiple shows and cant find it. in specific: Hell’s Kitchen & Suits

• Danielle says:

Where did this feature go?! I loved being able to hit add all, but now i have to go one episode at a time?!

• Tim says:

In reference to Miguel’s post on August 1st; I am not seeing the add all button on the TV series Monk. I tried seasons #1 thru #3 with the same negative result; I didn’t try any other seasons.

• Hi Miguel,

Which show page are you trying to access this feature for?

Dave

• Miguel says:

Why can’t I find the add all button???

• Joe says:

Id really like to see sort by show on the desktop app i queue up shows i haven’t seen and proceed to watch them ep by ep however in the desktop app the shows are a little mixed up and i cant find the next ep in the series

• Lindsey says:

This post talks bout the queue functionality I want to see, want to have, and cannot find. Both options for adding a bunch of videos to one’s queue at once sound great, and are for some reason no longer available. I have looked at the Help videos about queue, searched the blog, etc. and all I have come up with is features that don’t appear to be there anymore. I looked at the feature comparison of Hulu Plus vs regular Hulu and if this feature was migrated to the paid service (which would tick me off, but at the same time be understandable), and there was no mention of that being the case. On top of all that, when I decided to bite the bullet and add all the videos and clips of Sesame Street to my queue by hand, I realized there is no way to see as I’m adding, which ones I’ve already done. This is ridiculous! Do you guys not want us to watch back-episodes? What is the point of taking away such useful features? I don’t get it. Confused, and frustrated. I might end up utilizing Netflix’s DVD by mail (as opposed to Instant, which I already use heavily) and Amazon’s Video On Demand. This is a pain in the butt. You can do better!

• joe says:

I hate having to click ad experience

• Oriona says:

Love it!

• Dale S says:

Just wanted to say “Thumbs Up” on the new queue sort. It’s a really great feature!

• Judy_ says:

I would prefer to be able to set my own default… the simple list with no graphics and not grouped by show. I can see where some might prefer other formats but technically it can’t be that difficult to allow users to choose their own preferred default.

The benefit that I see in the simple list is that all in the queue I usually use shows up on one page.

• Hulu Club says:

Awesome! I have an average of 500 in my Q all the time and have spent a lot of time sorting and grouping shows, this is a real time saver.
    Thank you!!! for adding the + Q in the history page, now i can quickly re-Q a show I want to watch again.
    Wish list:
    1: In this new Group by Show, I cannot see if anything is going to expire without going to each individual show or going back to the old Q. I’d like to group “expire in 30 days” so I can catch any shows in that I might miss coming up for expiration in the next 30 days. An example to this is several movies I have put off watching, but many may expire at the end of the month on the same day. Can this be added to the “sort list by:” ?
    2: Anyway of having more than 25 shows per page? It would be handy to scroll through all or have 100 on a page. The old Q I could scroll down 500 videos.
    The next page direction arrows are in error on my Q. It shows I have 7 pages, but it only goes to 4 then redirects me back to the 1st page.
    Thanks again for the new features!

• SnwBuni, The view in Hulu Desktop will remain the same for now, but we’ll certainly look into giving the queue an update on that application, as well.

• MntlWard – the lack of queue updates in Hulu Desktop was an unrelated issue with our backend servers that feed the application. Should be resolved now.

• jcrainbow says:

woohoot love it thanks!!!!

• seetv says:

Hey, I’d like the ability to queue all clips with one click also ; some of the shows have like 39 pages to go through and you have to click on 10 to 15 X’s for each page.

• Michael says:

Queue update is so money. Thanks guys!

• MntlWard says:

Is this why new additions to my queue aren’t viewable in Hulu Desktop?

• SnwBuni says:

These new additions are great! Woohoo for ‘+All’!! I like the new sorting by shows, make a lot more sense now. But how is this going to work with our standard queue? Will there be a ‘save order’ for this view? I pretty much use Hulu desktop all the time and see that this is still showing my old queue order. Will the future bring an update that allows Hulu desktop to use the new ordering (instead of having to still manually move them into show->episode order? Thanks and great job! Love Hulu!

• Vickie, it may have been a temporary glitch. Try clearing your browser cache and/or restarting your browser. Let us know if you’re still having difficulty… we’ll want to know what browser you’re using and whether you’re a Mac or PC.

• Continuous play has been back up and running. Thanks for all of your feedback; keep it coming!

• seetv says:

A lot of pages in my queue ; Sure would like to sort through them to get to the one I have in mind faster.
    And I wish I could queue those off-site videos that show up in search.
    When is the Music Videos Section you promised coming ?

But as for today’s upgrade ; WOW, I LIKEY !!!
    I like add a whole season with one click !!! ; I like episodes grouped !!!

• Vickie says:

Why is log-in Not working? I try and it shows my Password and says I need to enter the info I have already entered?

• Aaron says:

“I would like to have the POPOUT View link when the videos are sorted by Show.”

Agreed.

• Paul Smart says:

Hallelujah! These features are just what I have been waiting for. Great job Eugene and team.

My next suggestion would be multiple queues. For example, I might want one for TV shows and one for movies, or one for dramas and one for comedies. For those who share a computer, it might be convenient to each keep a separate queue under the same account (to avoid having to log in and out every time).

Maybe another way to accomplish this would be to filter the queue by tags. Then I could tag content how I want (i.e. movie, comedy, my wife’s name, etc) and set the filter in my queue to only show what I want right then based on the tag I choose. (Speaking of which, I love the new tagging feature, too).

Keep up the great work!

• Brandon says:

I would like to have the POPOUT View link when the videos are sorted by Show. In the list view it is the link on the right side. This pops out to a new resizable window while leaving my queue in the previous window. I use this constantly with my dual monitor display, pull up hulu and maximize it one screen and work on the other. Now I have to go into the show, then wait for the movie to load up, then wait for the commercial and then click on POP OUT there. I liked it better to just click the link and have it pop out, but I don’t want to go back to the list view, I love the new grouping.

• Evie says:

This is really great. Thank you!

• Soul of Wit says:

Nice to have options. Personally, I always sort by “Expires”. The object is to view shows before they go poof.

To make the sort options more obvious, Hulu should add one line above the column headers: “Click column header to sort–then save”. Which reminds me–two steps is one too many. Hint, hint.

• toogie says:

Is there some way to simply turn OFF the continuous play feature for our queue as a default? I very seldom want to watch more than one show at a time, and it’s really annoying when I forget to turn it off every single time I want to watch something. (The new feature where you can just have a continuous play for a single show is great – since the time I am most likely to use it is when a show like “Good Eats” has a series of short clips.)

• A quick update for those of you noticing problems with the “play all” feature:
    We’ve noticed continuous play from the queue is causing some problems with the site, so we’ve temporarily disabled the feature. We’ll have it back up and running when the issue is resolved.

• Sue James says:

It would be great if we could click and drag any number of shows, and place them
    in the order we would like to view them. As we click on the shows for our Queue,it
    would be nice to have this options. and the autoplay does not work when you
    click play all, it only plays that one show.there is No continous play,in the
    new format.

• Travis says:

This is really awesome! Thank you!

If you could add the option of folders to the queue in the future, that’d be wonderful. So that all of the shows/eps wouldn’t have to be in one long list and we could move them into folders for later or for more organization.

• Meg says:

Great update! So much easier & makes a lot of sense.

• andrew says:

It’s great, but the play all button for the shows only plays one thing from the show instead of all of it.

• Bob Aagard says:

Thank you for allowing me to be able to keep the old way of doing the que. I have many reasons for liking this method.

However, I hate hate HATE the fact that I no longer can get continuous play doing it this way. please help!

• John says:

And as I post the comment about autoplay not working…… it looks like it does now. *mutter* =)

• John says:

Looks like this update broke the continuous play feature again. I do a popup play from my queue and it only plays that item from the queue and doesn’t continue.

And chance that there will be a programmatic interface into the queue? I’d like to do some more advanced queue management when I add multiple series to get some interleaving of shows and it’s not exactly easy through the web interface.

• Tim says:

Excellent addition, this is exactly one of the things I have been wanting.

• Olaf Poppenhoffen says:

I really like the new queue, but one suggestion. Make it so you can sort the shows by ones with episodes that will expire the soonest. In the old queue it was easy to be aware that I should watch a show because it will expire soon, now I have to drill down into each individual show. Otherwise, great work.

• HerooftheBeach says:

I think this is a really smart implementation, and the changes make a lot of sense and add some great flexibility.

I have one complaint though, which is that when I’m watching at work, I like to set my own list order and then pop out the video so I can watch it in the corner of my screen. With these changes, it doesn’t seem to automatically move to the next video in the queue when I do this anymore. It’s not the end of the world, but this feature of the queue is what really sold me on Hulu, so I’d be really happy if you brought it back! Thanks.

• Nelly says:

Very nice update! Will make things much easier to find what to watch in the Queue. Thanks Hulu!

• adam says:

i stopped using the queue because it got too complicated but this seems like exactly what it needed!
    i love the fact that hulu actually tries to please its users- seriously, don’t ever stop. that little extra care really is the reason i use this website

• calanan says:

Loving this update, makes it so much easier to navigate my queue, thanks! Will this also be incorporated into the standalone Hulu Desktop player?