Sharing is Easy

May 27th, 2008 by Betina Chan-Martin Product Manager

We’re always trying to create a better experience for our users. That’s why we’ve adopted two new features make it easier to share Hulu wherever you are online.

Since so many people have Facebook accounts — over 70 million, in fact — it seemed logical to come up with another way to integrate Hulu into the Facebook platform. Our new Facebook feed integration allows you to automatically post your rating and reviews activity on your Facebook feed, giving your friends an idea of what you like to watch on Hulu — and it lets them watch the same videos you’ve reviewed, right in Facebook.

facebook_feed

When you’re viewing your Profile page on Facebook, look for the “Import” link in the corner of your Mini-Feed to connect your Facebook profile with your Hulu account. Select Hulu from the list of sites, enter your Hulu username, and click on “Import.” Your profile will automatically update whenever you rate a video on Hulu.

Typically, embedding videos requires users to copy an “embed code” and paste it to their blog. Released earlier this month, oEmbed aims to standardize the process of embedding videos, photos, links, and other media. It allows a Web site to display embedded content (such as a Hulu video) when a user simply posts a link to that content. For example, microblogging site Pownce supports oEmbed so that you can simply paste the link to the Hulu video (ex. http://www.hulu.com/watch/5555/family-guy-chicken-fight) instead of the entire embed code.

We think this feature will make it a lot easier to share your favorite videos. For more information, check out oEmbed.com.

Betina
Hulu’s Good Karma

• Fawn says:

Hi to every body, it’s my first visit of this web site; this webpage consists of
    amazing and actually fine data in favor of readers.

• facebook says:

I get pleasure from, result in I found exactly what I was taking a look for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

• Stickers says:

Thank you for making this post. It is amazing. Looking towards the next article.

• Sean Stickland says:

Still getting the same error that says ‘invalid username’ at the import options :(

• aarlin81@gmail.com says:

Any updates as to when issues will be resolved? Still getting error message about invalid account name.

• Scott says:

Thanks, I did that a few days ago and it put up one update showing the last five videos I rated. It hasn’t published anything since then… does it update only once a week or so with a bunch of videos at once, or should it be updating for each video I watch or rate?

• These instructions refer to an earlier Facebook layout. Go to your Facebook profile page, click on the “options” link to the right below the “What’s on your mind box.” That will change to a link for Settings; click this. There will be list of “Imported Stories;” select Hulu and you’re good to go.

• Scott says:

I’m trying to figure out how to do this, but the wording here is ambiguous: “When you’re viewing your Profile page on Facebook, look for the “Import” link in the corner of your Mini-Feed to connect your Facebook profile with your Hulu account.”

What is a mini-feed? Where is “Import”?

• art says:

Does this still work today for the new facebook design??? … If so can you tell me how?

• european says:

Its a nice feature

• Rebecca H. says:

David, We’re currently working on some issues with our FB integration and hope to get these resolved soon.

• David M says:

I don’t know why, but my ratings aren’t showing up on my Facebook page. I can click “share” and click Facebook and it will show up but when I click “details” and give the clip a star-rating, it’s not send to FB for me… Am I not doing it right? Can anyone help me?

• forum says:

hi. I must say congratulations! Wonderful changes and new opportunities. All these people are glad for you.. me too .

• ilcesi chat says:

Cool post. thank you for sharing the information

• Hi! i haven’t thought that Hulu will worry about Facebook feed! that’s great you think globaly!

• This is awesome that you guys are supporting this initiative, however, your JSON encoding is malformed. In any parser that I try it out with, it fails to read the JSON produced by the API.

• Mike says:

What a good idea! It’s very good.

• Bryan says:

Has this change made the actual site slower? For me all the pages on Hulu have been loading much slower than they were yesterday.